Author Topic: Suspected ECU fault  (Read 131 times)

Offline Lain_coubert

• S Class
  • I need to update my signature strip!!!
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: Blue Reflex Mica (42B)
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2016
Suspected ECU fault
« on: May 11, 2022, 10:22:07 AM »
Hello.

I have a 2016 Mazda 3 Sport 2.2 diesel on 78k.  Owned for three years and it’s been a dream.

Every now and then while driving 5/6 yellow warning lights come on.  But I have turned engine off and they have gone away every time.

Three days ago they came on and stayed on.  We have; engine management light, crash sensor light, tyre pressure light and skid control light.  The power steering light briefly came on and went off.

It drives normally and has had the battery and the alternator checked.  I noticed a slight rattle on start up and shut down but even that was only a couple of times.

Local garage have advised I go to Mazda to get the ECU and wiring looked at.

I have booked in but cannot get it looked at until Monday now.  Mean time I need to use the car and will carry on doing so.

So I’m asking, does anyone recognise these symptoms?  Could anyone recommend a good auto electrician in south east London/ NW ?

Or could anyone advise what to expect at the main dealer? I usually avoid em due to their prices, but as things stand I will have to get a full diagnosis from there to begin with and see what the quote is for repair from there.

Unfortunately MOT IS DUE in two weeks and this is a fail so I’m under some pressure now.

Offline Engineer Andy

• Sports Class
  • Smoke me a kipper - I'll be back for breakfast!
  • Colour: Sunlight Silver (22V) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2005
Re: Suspected ECU fault
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2022, 04:36:19 PM »
Firstly see what comes up via the dealership check and what they propose.  Unfortunately the problem is not one I'm familiar with or comptent to diagnose.  If no-one comes up with anything here soon, you could perhaps try the other general motoring website I'm a member of (free) - Honest John.

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/

The forum there (the Back Room) has a section on 'Technical Matters' and one of the other members aptly named 'elekie&a/c doctor' may be able to help, at least on the possible cause / solution.  Just regsiter to become a member (I'd do so now as it may take a couple of days for it to be authorised by a moderator) and once you can post comments on there, just start a new thread (topic) and essentially repeat your request for help.

Hopefully eleckie or someone here or there can be of some assistance.  Best I can do.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2022, 08:29:01 PM by Engineer Andy »

Offline Lain_coubert

• S Class
  • I need to update my signature strip!!!
  • Colour: Blue Reflex Mica (42B)
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2016
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2022, 04:34:16 PM »
Thank you Engineer Andy.

Mazda have me car now.  Still drives perfect, is so bizarre.

Fingers crossed they will give me a solution that doesn’t bankrupt me.  Meanwhile I will get registered with honest John forum 👍👍

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2022, 04:34:16 PM »