Author Topic: 2010 Mazda3 Sport i stop windscreen washer problem  (Read 4932 times)

Offline aytch

• TS Class
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Velocity Red (27A) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2010
2010 Mazda3 Sport i stop windscreen washer problem
« on: July 20, 2023, 11:51:26 AM »
Hi all!
Dunno if anyone can shed some light - am having probs with my windscreen washers which have gradually reduced in spray to a stage where the water doesn't reach up above the wiper blades. The rear washer works correctly.
I have tested the pump by removing the easily accessible supply pipe at the top left of the engine bay from the the washer head supply pipe end and it emits a strong flow of water indicating that the problem lies with the washer jets.
However in order to get access to these to either replace or clean them out I am at a loss as to how to remove the plastic "cowlings" to get to them.
Can anyone inform me of the correct way to do this as I have had little luck in finding internet guidance (or a Haynes manual for this particular car that has had a good review).
(I have tried the vinegar / hot water methods to no avail - without getting to the jets to remove them, the only thing I can think of is trying to clear the jets with an air duster, which would still leave residue in the connecting pipe)
I might be slow in replying to any answers as I am imminently having an operation.
If you can help - many thanks!!

Offline bobmax

• Sports Class
  • Colour: Deep Crystal Blue Metallic (42M)
  • Trim: SE L Nav
  • Year: 2014
Re: 2010 Mazda3 Sport i stop windscreen washer problem
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2023, 12:05:11 PM »
Had the same problem a while ago.
Just pick up a pin/needle and poke it into the washer holes.
Worked for me. :)
Familiarity breeds contempt - and children

Offline aytch

• TS Class
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2023, 12:39:27 PM »
Unfortunately I tried that with guitar string, tooth interdental brush etc to no avail.
The outlet hole on the jet is letterbox shaped - damn shame they aren't like in the old days where you had a ball bearing with a hole in it type washer mounted on the bonnet that you could simply poke a pin in to clear them, or to replace them, rather than just under the windscreen with a plastic cowling all the way along that has to be removed to get to them and their connecting water tube!!

Offline bobmax

• Sports Class
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2023, 03:36:25 PM »
yes, I agree it was/is a pain to get at them properly.
But i did manage with a bit of determination  ;D

Good luck with whatever works for you.

Offline aytch

• TS Class
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2023, 09:32:12 PM »
Thanks for your responses - appreciated - I've ordered an aerosol air spray to see if I can dislodge any crud that way till I find out how to actually take off the grill that runs along the bottom of the windscreen and covers the pipework and access to the jets.
There's plenty of info online about how to change the jets but nothing to indicate how to get to them in the first place, other than to start by taking the wipers off to begin the job.

Offline aytch

• TS Class
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2023, 02:55:33 PM »
Tried the air spray down each letterbox-shaped non-adjustable spray-opening and also up the other way - up the tube leading to them by disconnecting the pipe coming up from the reservoir bottle. This had mixed results as between each blast, I tried firing up the screen-washer and the amount of water varied from zero to a dribble.
Next, with better results, I tried the "old fashioned bicycle pump" trick of cutting off the usual cycle valve screw-on end of its adapter and then pushing its rubber tube onto the washer supply nipple, where I had disconnected the reservoir bottle pipe earlier.
Now I have water coming from both jets again but am back to square one as the flow still isn't reaching above the wipers.
To recap, I have syphoned out the washer bottle and found no residue there and also introduced fairy liquid, and later vinegar, into the supply pipe which has made no difference. No gunge was evident when I blew the washer jets - the water coming up from the reservoir with its pipe disconnected was a healthy gush indicating no problem with the pump itself. (The rear washer works normally). Therefore I can only conclude the problem most likely lies with the piping to each jet at some point.
As the washers on my particular 3 are mounted between the engine bay rear edge and the bottom of the windscreen - an area covered by trim around the wipers and a grille covering access to the jets and pipework, I probably have no alternative but to work out how to remove these items, unless anyone out there has previously done this job and can shed some light on how to do this?

Offline misar

• TS2 Class
  • Year: 2019

Offline bobmax

• Sports Class
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2023, 04:06:40 PM »
Thats useful. Thanks.

Offline aytch

• TS Class
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2023, 12:07:40 AM »
Hi! Many thanks for that link! Will study it well before I set off!
Dear god - oh for the simple days of bonnet mounted washers with two ball-bearing, "stick a pin in and wiggle it" types!!
Will be a short while before I can get started as I am imminently due for an eye op so will wait till I get back my normal vision and update on how I fare with my investigation!
Again many thanks - much appreciation to all.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2023, 12:19:46 AM by aytch »

Offline Kentish

• S Class
  • I need to update my signature strip!!!
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2017
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2023, 10:38:30 PM »
VW had/have similar problems with their "fan jet" spray  nozzles. It was mainly due to waxing of the screen wash, the solution being to buy their own screen wash which didn't wax up (I can confirm it did work too)
The jets can be cleared, but it takes some going.

Offline aytch

• TS Class
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2023, 02:36:25 PM »
Thanks for that bit of info... at the mo the washer fluid is slightly reaching just onto the wipers when they reach their lowest point (which is an improvement to when there was hardly any water coming out) but the water pressure isn't back to normal yet.
When I syphoned out the vinegar / water mix "attempt" from the reservoir after 24 hours there was no residue in the water at all.
Neither was there in the next flush out before adding screen wash.
As stated before, the rear washer is performing normally.
Will keep "firing away" till I might have to attempt the disassembly and checking of the tubing leading across the car to the two jets.
When I connected a bicycle pump to the main tubing connector immediately before the one way valve, a healthy stream of water was ejected onto the screen from both jets so the whole thing seems a bit of a mystery.
Will update when I can.

Offline bobmax

• Sports Class
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2023, 02:41:34 PM »
Would your local Mazda Garage give you FREE advice? ::)

Offline misar

• TS2 Class
  • Year: 2019
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2023, 04:00:40 PM »
Will keep "firing away" till I might have to attempt the disassembly and checking of the tubing leading across the car to the two jets.
When I connected a bicycle pump to the main tubing connector immediately before the one way valve, a healthy stream of water was ejected onto the screen from both jets so the whole thing seems a bit of a mystery.
Will update when I can.

Did you bypass the valve?
My previous Mazda 3 was the same model as yours and I had a similar problem of "weak spray" in 2018. The Mazda dealer fixed it during annual service/MOT and reported "partly blocked one way valve" which they replaced with part G218-67-508 (£11.32 + VAT).

Offline bobmax

• Sports Class
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2023, 08:02:05 AM »
That's useful to know thanks

Offline aytch

• TS Class
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2023, 11:43:49 AM »
To Misar - nope cos that lies beyond all the trim I will have to remove to get to it.
I disconnected the reservoir "feed" pipe from the nipple (at the start of the trim) that goes to the one way valve and beyond, having cut off the end of the bike pump adaptor end to fit it over the nipple and gave it a good blast of air!! This resulted in the water still in the jet pipes being forced out onto the windscreen as though there were no blockage problem.
I can't help wondering, given that the bike pump experiment seemed to indicate no blockage and that the rear washer works very strongly (and I am assuming there are two pumps - one for the front and one for the rear washers??) that if this is the case, the fault might indicate a weak front pump pressure. Maybe much less pressure than that of a bicycle pump.
However, at odds with this surmise, when the reservoir pipe to the front washers is disconnected, the stream ejected from the front pump "seems" to be powerful - at least 6 feet!!

Since buying the car s/h 6 years ago I haven't been near a Mazda dealer, preferring instead to deal with my local garage due to costs.
Even they can sting you but probably not as much as a main dealer, which has always been the case in my experience over the years.

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2023, 11:43:49 AM »