Author Topic: Brake fluid  (Read 3383 times)

Offline markiered

• Takara Class
Brake fluid
« on: December 13, 2007, 01:52:58 PM »
Hi, Just came to top up my screen wash today, and notice that where you top up the brake fluid the side of the cap and the underside was covered in brake fluid, I've just dry up the mess and park the car on a level area (as was parked on a slope before) and see if it becomes wet again, I assume this shouldn't happenen! brake oil level in half way between the low and high mark not sure how hig it was before I I guess pretty close the the high mark.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2007, 01:57:10 PM by markiered »
Zoom Zoom.... 2006 Mazda 3 sport saloon Titanium Grey

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Super Ultimate Class
  • East Anglia Mountain Rescue Team
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: Winning Blue (27B) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2004
Re: Brake fluid
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 02:05:19 PM »
No it shouldn't leak out like that. Perhaps it was slightly overfull as you say.  Be careful not to get any brake fluid on your paint work. It will destroy the paint.
Look at life through the windscreen, not the rearview mirror.
2004 Winning Blue 2Ltr Sport Saloon.  Laser Blue Main beams.

Offline markiered

• Takara Class
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 02:08:44 PM »
No it shouldn't leak out like that. Perhaps it was slightly overfull as you say.  Be careful not to get any brake fluid on your paint work. It will destroy the paint.

Not filled the brake fluid up at all, got it how it came from the dealer, have retighten the cap and will check the car again in hours time see if it's wet or dry.

Offline sk4tec

• Ultimate Class
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 02:46:44 PM »

Not filled the brake fluid up at all, got it how it came from the dealer, have retighten the cap and will check the car again in hours time see if it's wet or dry.

I paid some attention to my brake fluid cap. My Golf had the engine full of turbo hoses close to the cap and somehow the cap kept on coming loose - negating the fluid change >:( To my surprise the Golf cap doesn't have a 'o' ring or any kind of rubber seal.

the Mazda I'm please to say has a rubber seal! Anyway with the Golf someone suggested using 'Plumb tape' - worked a treat ;D

On a separate issue the Golf didn't have an O ring on the dipstick, my 3 has one and our Honda has 2.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2007, 02:48:30 PM by sk4tec »

1998 Peugeot 306 XSi 16v
1999 VW Passat 1.8 Sport
2002 Golf Mk IV GT TDi 150
2005 Mazda 3 Sport 2.0 (Petrol)
Current: Seat Leon MK II FR 2.0 TFSi DSG

Offline hussein

• Sports Class
  • I am the stig
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007, 03:14:21 PM »
If there is fluid leaking out, there may be air leaking in!  I'd be a little worried, keep a close eye on how the brakes feel and definitely get it looked at by your dealer mate.
Now: 2006 Honda Civic FK3 2.2 iCTDI EX Cosmic Grey Pearl / Mega Spec / iPod / Interior Lighting
Then: 2005 Mazda 3 1.6D TS Hatch Winning Blue Metallic / ICE / Bluetooth / HIDs / Nice Trim

Offline markiered

• Takara Class
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2007, 03:54:22 PM »
Seems ok now, after I unscrew and rescrew the cap back on, but will keep an eye on it, and if its leaks will take it in to the dealer to look at.  :)

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2007, 03:54:22 PM »