Author Topic: Front brakes and stones  (Read 3039 times)

Offline mazdazoom

• Takara Class
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic (41V)
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2014
Front brakes and stones
« on: September 25, 2007, 01:07:25 PM »
Hi guys. This will sound strange im sure but here goes. Quite a few times with my old 3 and now once already with my new 3 i have got a stone somehow jamed in between the front disc and the metal shield behind it. this results in lots of screaching as you drive along. Now every thime i get this i cant help but think to myself how on earth does it get in there. first few i thought hey must be a fluke but ive had it many times now. Im honestly begining to think either someones placing stones in there or im somehow gifted and have a tallent for stone catching. Anyway i just wondered if anyone else has ever had this or having this as its happened enough now that i think surely i cant be the only one. either way if you ever get it the stones seem to drop out pretty easy with a little press of the metal shield at the bottom of the disc.
2014 2.2d sport nav

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Super Ultimate Class
  • East Anglia Mountain Rescue Team
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: Winning Blue (27B) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Year: 2004
Re: Front brakes and stones
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2007, 01:46:55 PM »
I too have had exactly as you describe. I work on an unused airfield and part of my journey from the gates to my building involves travelling on the original runway. Despite what you may think most runways are covered with a very fine grit, (It helps the traction for the aircraft on take off and during braking). Some times this "grit" has some larger components and these used to frequently lodge in between the discs and the caliper/pads, causing a squeeling noise.
This went on for some time until I noticed that I was getting grooves   on the disc. (Sorry).

Anyway I collected some grit, went off to my dealers and pointed out the problem. They were suprised that such a small compound could cause such a problem, but credit to them they submitted a warranty claim and I had all my discs & pads replaced.
 Needless to say I was more than happy and have now found a different route around the airfield.

Look at life through the windscreen, not the rearview mirror.
2004 Winning Blue 2Ltr Sport Saloon.  Laser Blue Main beams.

Offline daiking

• Ultimate Class
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2007, 05:51:26 PM »
have heard of this happen but so far its not something I've experience. More stone chips than I can shake a stick at though.

Offline neeldub

• Administrator
  • Super Ultimate Class
  • 2008 Mazda 3 Sport Saloon 1.6
    • My Cardomain site
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: Sunlight Silver (22V) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Year: 2008
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2007, 11:52:03 PM »
same thing happened to me when i was at the Keynes Park in shorncote.. when i heard that noise.. i literally nearly sh*tt*d myself  :o :o

i stopped the car and looked around where that noise from coming from.. everywhere seemed ok.. but then i took it for another lil drive.. i could still hear it while reversing.. i came out of the car again and looked around.. at this point i was panicking  :-[ :-[

luckily.. just drove around again.. and the noises went.. this was before when i had my 15" rims on.. so with the larger size rims, i wouldnt fink that it would be much of an issue...
2008 Mazda 3 Sport Saloon 1.6
Veba Freeview TV box, Rear view camera, Front View Camera
Colour Coded Headlights, Angel Eyes, MPS Aero Wing Mirrors

Offline mazdazoom

• Takara Class
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic (41V)
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Year: 2014
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2007, 10:54:11 AM »
Cool. thanks guys. dont feel as bad now. i wish i could shake of this tallent though lol. i would have thought id have a greater chance of winning the lottery than getting a stone jammed in suck an awkward place. on the other hand ive become a pro at fising them back out  ;D
2014 2.2d sport nav

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2007, 10:54:11 AM »