Author Topic: Mazda 3 MPS soft suspensions  (Read 3558 times)

Offline flamingsword88

• Takara Class
Mazda 3 MPS soft suspensions
« on: September 23, 2007, 08:59:23 AM »
Hey all. I find the suspension too soft for a car with this amount of power. I got the aero sport kit on mine, which have Eibach springs and dampers. What I notice is that it turns in better and thats about it and it still rolls a bit, which is a shame for a car like this. I also find that the car bounces around alot at certain speeds, but even my old car didn't do that and it was a peugeot 206 and that wasn't even a hot hatch. I like the car, but I feel like needs a few tweeks in the suspension department. I would like to know how to improve this without having to lower it even further.

PS. I don't if this theory is correct, but a mate of mine said that the oem items say for tyres, the ones that are supply for the dealership aren't as good as the ones supplied from the main manufacturer, so I was wondering does that also imply to suspensions aswell?

Offline sk4tec

• Ultimate Class
Re: Mazda 3 MPS soft suspensions
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2007, 11:28:17 AM »
I used to own a 306 XSi and that cornered great so there's a lot to be said for finely tuned chassis based on basic mechanicals.

Your Mazda certainly has a more advanced chassis than your 206! For example if you look behind the front wheels u can see links which connects the top of the suspension strut to the roll bar at the bottom giving the roll bar more leverage (Audi's R8 uses this at that rear!). The rear as you prob know is a 'control blade' style trailing arm with multi links and a separate roll bar. The big advantage being lateral roll can be tuned seperatley from vertical suspension travel. If you drive the current Civic the ride is rock hard 'cos its only got a torsion beam and they want it to corner well.

So the chassis is the same design as the Focus and Golf - used to great effect in the Golf GTi 2.0T. This is the thing I don't understand when manufacturers offer upgrades on just springs or springs and dampers - it seems half backed to me. 

You need up upgrade the roll bars front and rear, spring stiffness has a small input on roll rate - its the roll bar which reduces weight transfer in corners. When your roll bar matches the springs and dampers then it will really corner!!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2007, 11:31:08 AM by sk4tec »

1998 Peugeot 306 XSi 16v
1999 VW Passat 1.8 Sport
2002 Golf Mk IV GT TDi 150
2005 Mazda 3 Sport 2.0 (Petrol)
Current: Seat Leon MK II FR 2.0 TFSi DSG

Offline Mica_MPS

• TS2 Class
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2007, 02:47:20 PM »
The bounciness is probably a consequence of the Aero kit - my standard car doesn't exhibit any of this at all. The problem is that you seem to want to make a hardcore track car out of something that was always intended as a road car. Have you thought about changing it for something like a Megane R26?
Black Mica '56 Mazda 3 MPS

Offline Shifty

• Sports Class
  • Mazda 3MPS Cosmic Blue.
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2007, 09:09:02 PM »
suppose it all depends on what speed your gonna take corners,

If your going that fast around them that think your car is rolling, how about thinking about that car thats gonna pull out on you just around the next bend.

Don't get me wrong I  like to put my foot down but there is a time and a place. Usually on a track.

The bouncyness may be due to having stiffer suspension i.e not absorbing the bumps as much.

Also try checking your tyre pressure, this can also effect handling.

Offline flamingsword88

• Takara Class
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2007, 10:32:59 PM »
To sk4tec thanks for the info, i will look into it.
To Mica_MPS, surely mazda wouldnt offer stiffer springs and dampers if it was going to make it not handle properly. Plus Im not going to change cars just for something minor, I would like to improve its handling a bit thats all.
To Shifty where I live I can see whats coming around the corners and I check my tyre pressures all the time.

Offline sk4tec

• Ultimate Class
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2007, 11:37:45 PM »
http://www.worldcarfans.com/7051027.001/eibach-mazda-3

Be worth finding out who did the official upgrade kit for Mazda, if its Eibach then you'd just need a the matching ARBs.

The Mazda Zoom-Zoom ethos is a sporty drive but without sacrificing comfort. I think the kit came about as the UK press gave unfavorable reviews. Renault did it too, but they cleverly tied it in with the F1 edition and then quietly - all subsequent cars will get the upgraded suspension. VW upgraded the output of their GTi for the anniversary - but I'm sure its gonna be standard soon as they did with the mk IV Anni.

With the roll bars its all about relative rates. Reading about the MPS, it has massive roll rate reduction compared to standard 3's. If I put your standard MPS arb on my Sport it would to be way too harsh and really compromise the ride.

Also how do you afford the insurance at 20?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2007, 11:58:17 PM by sk4tec »

1998 Peugeot 306 XSi 16v
1999 VW Passat 1.8 Sport

Offline flamingsword88

• Takara Class
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2007, 09:37:25 PM »
Thanks for the sites link mate. So its really about the anti-roll bars then.
Oh and the insurance, im with adrian flux they have the cheapest insurance rate for young drivers, so just say im just lucky :P

Offline smoove666

• TS2 Class
    • SEMA4 Technology
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2007, 11:02:23 AM »
Beefier ARBs won't necessarily make the car handle any better - in fact in your case it would probably make it even bouncier. The car handles perfectly well if it is driven within the range of it's dynamic capabilities. May I be as bold as to suggest that perhaps if you carried a little less speed into the corners then you would in actual fact get round them quicker and with less "roll" as you describe it. The chassis and suspension have been highly tuned by Mazda (they know what they are doing - MX5, RX8 etc.) and it all works together beautifully.

I know about this as I had the same problem adapting my driving style after several years of rear-wheel drive hooning - once I got my head around FWD again then things changed dramatically. Managing understeer is the biggest thing - lots of understeer and weight transfer due to excessive speed/direction change can manifest itself akin to "roll", even though it is nothing of the sort. 

My advice to you would be to experiment with your driving style and approach before spending money unecessarily on things that you don't really need - but don't think for one minute that I am trying to suggest you can't drive it properly  ::)

Let us know how you get on  ;D - like I said - not trying to teach anyone to suck eggs - just offering the benefit of my experience.

Cheers

Jon

Black Mica MPS Aero Kit - GLF :-) March '07
Silver VW Golf GTi Mk I Cabriolet
Ex-Winning Blue MX-5 Mk III 2.0 Sports - lowering kit
Ex-Winning Blue RX-8 230

Offline sk4tec

• Ultimate Class
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2007, 11:48:17 AM »
Interesting point Smoove.

I've read a few times that guys would be better upgrading their 'driving skills' than tyres springs or suspension - but I'm not classing Flaming as one of the Max Power crew!!

I did have a quick look at the print out (sad I know 8)) I've got on the Mazda 3 MPS and it says 60% roll reduction. But compared to what model - perhaps the Sport? Certainly having 110 bhp over the Sport is going to test the chassis to the limit.

Yes stiffer arbs would upset the ride over bumps but if its dry weather cornering you what then stiffer arbs would seem to be the answer.

I'd imagine u'd get a lot less grip in the wet. I had this in my 306 - in the dry it had zero roll but in the wet there wasn't enough weight transfer and it was scary borderline evil :-\

All this talk about MPS's is making me want to get one (I'd better hide my credit card!)  >:D
« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 11:57:10 AM by sk4tec »

1998 Peugeot 306 XSi 16v
1999 VW Passat 1.8 Sport

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2007, 11:48:17 AM »