Author Topic: What wiper blades ???  (Read 440 times)

Offline neilfgr2

• Takara Class
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: Carbon Grey (28B) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2005
What wiper blades ???
« on: August 23, 2017, 06:18:51 PM »
What wiper blades do you guys use for your 3 ???? Tried Bosch Aerotwin and they seem noisey and clunky .... Just fancy trying some other ones ...
Cheers
Neil

Offline speedy mazda

• TS2 Class
  • zoooom zooom zoooooooooooooooom
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Aluminium Silver (38P) Metallic
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2010
Re: What wiper blades ???
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 10:58:36 PM »
hi there ive always bought these AP Automotive AWB 005 024 + AWB 005 019 Aero Flat Windscreen Front Wiper Blades from amazon £6.59 plus free delivery never had problems with them.Im not sure if they fit the same on the mark 1 mazda 3 ,perhaps someone else knows.

Offline red_imps_2003

• TS Class
  • Confucius say "don't quote me"
  • Colour: Indigo Lights Mica (38K) Metallic
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Year: 2009
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 12:06:10 PM »
I've just bought a set of those, speedy, but I can't figure out how to fit the b*stard things! Image of the fitting available at https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7c2LWtxcTqKM0tNVjJxZ3NSZDA and I have the j-hook style wiper arms, which I imagine must be the same as yours. Can anybody explain to me, like I'm a five-year-old, how one goes about fitting this type of fitting to a j-hook? Can the casing be removed? The only means of entry is from the top but there is no room to slide/wiggle the hook/arm about.

The fitting doesn't seem to look anything like the example on the Amazon page:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006FF9HPI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 12:23:37 PM by red_imps_2003 »
So I was stood there trying to work out why the cricket ball was getting larger and larger...and then it hit me.

Offline StevenRB45

• MPS Class
  • Suzuki and Fiat Refugee
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearl (34K) Metallic
  • Trim: TS2 Takuya
  • Year: 2011
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2017, 06:19:22 PM »
It looks like a copy of a Bosch aero twin.

You should be able to open it by squeezing it I would suggest where it meets the blade on the left.
Ending up with something like this.

Once open you should be able to get the j hook round the fitting, pull it tight then clip the cover back on.

Offline red_imps_2003

• TS Class
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2017, 09:35:05 PM »
Wow! That actually worked. Thank you, StevenRB45. It didn't 'look' as though it could hinge in any way and it felt too frail to force too hard. Have got them on the car now. They haven't been used in anger yet so can't say how effective they are.
So I was stood there trying to work out why the cricket ball was getting larger and larger...and then it hit me.

Offline red_imps_2003

• TS Class
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 12:49:43 PM »
Hmmm; they are a bit pants. I was fairly disappointed, given the number of glowing recommendations in the Amazon feedback. At £6.59 I shouldn't expect miracles but the ones I have installed are barely fit for purpose, leaving a trail of streaky arcs with each wipe which take a couple of seconds to fade on intermittent (and are there permanently on persistent wipe). I've ordered another pair in case I ended up with a duff set last time or damaged them somehow while trying to fit the bleeders and will update when I have had a chance to try them out. Otherwise I guess it's back to the [uglier and significantly more expensive] Valeo ones that have lasted me since Christmas.

edit: The Valeo ones I refer to were purchased at Euro Car Parts:
Left = http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Mazda_3_1.6_2009/p/car-parts/car-body-parts-and-car-exhaust/wipers/wiper-blades/?485771085
Right = http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Mazda_3_1.6_2009/p/car-parts/car-body-parts-and-car-exhaust/wipers/wiper-blades/?485771135
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 12:56:40 PM by red_imps_2003 »

Offline StevenRB45

• MPS Class
  • Suzuki and Fiat Refugee
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearl (34K) Metallic
  • Trim: TS2 Takuya
  • Year: 2011
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2017, 05:14:37 PM »
You tried running a cloth dipped in vinegar along the length of the blade? Usually do it to mine every few months and after 2 years they still don't smear. Takes grease/car shampoo off the rubber blades

Offline speedy mazda

• TS2 Class
  • zoooom zooom zoooooooooooooooom
  • Colour: Aluminium Silver (38P) Metallic
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2010
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2017, 09:39:35 PM »
Perhaps you have something oily on screen have you tried cleaning screen with fairy liquid.

Offline red_imps_2003

• TS Class
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2017, 12:18:11 PM »
You tried running a cloth dipped in vinegar along the length of the blade? Usually do it to mine every few months and after 2 years they still don't smear. Takes grease/car shampoo off the rubber blades
It's a good suggestion, which I must confess I didn't try here before binning the old ones. I've tried it a few times in the past and never found it to work so have rather given up on it. I can probably still retrieve them from the wheelie bin if they haven't been bent out of shape by the bags I've dumped on top since, which might be worth a go. There are also a few light (but lengthy) scratches on the surface of the screen, which the replacement blades may be struggling more than other brands to accommodate. I don't even know how long the scratches have been there; perhaps it is they that are causing the existing set to smear. Like I say, at £6.59 for the pair I thought it worth trying a second set on this occasion so I don't form an unfair impression from a dodgy set. I would rather be able to pay that for replacements going forward than closer to £20. If this replacement set smear I will try some new Valeos (which I know worked in the recent past) and if they smear too I will know it is the screen (and I will have enough sets of blades to last until my next car, probably). The screen may have to be replaced shortly anyway, as a 4 or 5" crack has just appeared in the top-right!

"Perhaps you have something oily on screen have you tried cleaning screen with fairy liquid."
Actually; you could be on to something there. I did accidentally get some small splashes of 'Showroom Shine' waterless cleaning solution on there a few weeks back. I wiped it off with a dry cloth but it may well have left some oily/waxy residue. I wonder if that has coincided with the smearing. I had forgotten all about that and your suggestion reminded me.

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2017, 12:18:11 PM »