Author Topic: Intermittent squeaky rear wheel  (Read 3110 times)

Offline Dream Police

• S Class
Intermittent squeaky rear wheel
« on: July 23, 2016, 08:07:11 PM »
Got a 2007 Mazda 3 TS2 saloon, had rear pads and discs changed a couple of months back. Since then Ive noticed an intermittent squeaky noise, sometimes quiet, sometimes loud and it appears to be coming from the nearside rear wheel.
Sometimes it doesnt happen for a week then it will squeak every day for a couple of days.
Its been squeaking again today, only seems to happen if driving in a straight line, not if turning a corner. If you press the brake pedal it stops squeaking.
It might not be anything to do with the brakes being changed but it only started happening a week after they were changed.
Any ideas where to start?
Thanks  ;)
In promulgating your esoteric cogitations and articulating your superficial sentimentalities, amicable, philosophical and psychological observations, beware of platitudinous ponderosities.
Are we really the Dream Police?

Offline StevenRB45

• MPS Class
  • Suzuki and Fiat Refugee
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearl (34K) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: TS2 Takuya
  • Year: 2011
Re: Intermittent squeaky rear wheel
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2016, 09:29:09 AM »
You'd think it wouldn't be a wheelbearing, given they tend to initially squeak under cornering (with age of the car it is a possibility though). It might be they haven't put enough copper slip on(although again you'd probably except squeaking under load). Perhaps the piston is holding the new pad against the disc very lightly as obviously it'll need to be pushed a lot further back into the caliper than it was with all the new friction material. The piston could be a little sticky on retraction may be why it comes and goes.

If it is that it may be possible to improve the situation by finding a nice quiet bit of road and giving the brakes some stick to move them through their full range of movement.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 09:43:56 AM by StevenRB45 »

Offline Dream Police

• S Class
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2016, 03:38:53 PM »
Thanks for the reply.
I thought it might be something like that but always useful to get a 2nd opinion  ;)

Went out this morning and no squeaks, just been out this afternoon and had a couple of squeaks but when I stopped at a junction I stood on the brakes a few times and released them and it didnt squeak anymore after that

Car is due for a service anyway so I'll ask the garage to have a look while theyre doing it

Thanks again
In promulgating your esoteric cogitations and articulating your superficial sentimentalities, amicable, philosophical and psychological observations, beware of platitudinous ponderosities.

Offline Dream Police

• S Class
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2016, 08:54:18 PM »
Had the car serviced on thursday, the problem was caused by the people who fitted the brakes not chamfering the edges of the pads so they were rubbing on something.
Well done National Tyres of Bishops Stortford, you wont be seeing me again  >:(

Offline StevenRB45

• MPS Class
  • Suzuki and Fiat Refugee
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearl (34K) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: TS2 Takuya
  • Year: 2011
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2016, 05:15:46 PM »
Glad it's sorted, national managed to botch my brake change as well oddly enough. Fitted new discs and pads without opening the bonnet...so didn't check the fluid which was overflowing with everything replaced.

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2016, 05:15:46 PM »