Author Topic: Removal of reversing light/foglight lens on Door5  (Read 291 times)

Offline kavgreenleas

• S Class
  • I need to update my signature strip!!!
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Sunlight Silver (22V) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2012
Removal of reversing light/foglight lens on Door5
« on: November 21, 2017, 11:12:37 AM »
Hi All, The light cover on my hatchback door over the reversing light and the fog light has accumulated a lot of mildew around the edge. I need to remove the cover but can not work out how to do it. I removed the small panels from the interior trim which allow easy access to the bulbs but all I can see is two nuts on the body of the lens holder and loosening them seems to have no effect on the out lens. There is lip on the cover on the outboard edge so I presume that somehow you have to slide the cover outwards to remove it. If this is the case, how do you avoid interference with the lock button surround on the offside lens. Somebody else asked this same question some time ago and was asked what sort of door he had but he did not reply and so the question was left hanging. This is driving me mad! and the mildew is impossible to reach any other way. Thanks for any help.
Regards Mike

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Super Ultimate Class
  • East Anglia Mountain Rescue Team
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: Winning Blue (27B) Metallic
  • Year: 2004
Re: Removal of reversing light/foglight lens on Door5
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 03:19:26 PM »
Look at life through the windscreen, not the rearview mirror.
2004 Winning Blue 2Ltr Sport Saloon.  Laser Blue Main beams.

Offline kavgreenleas

• S Class
  • I need to update my signature strip!!!
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Sunlight Silver (22V) Metallic
  • Year: 2012
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 04:20:16 PM »
Hi Willpower. Right, just after I wrote the first post I thought I can’t let this beat me and went back to the car to try again. I had loosened off the two nuts but nothing moved so I had assumed that I was doing something wrong. Turns out, you have to remove the nuts to allow the plastic bracket to jiggle and this allows the lens assembly to move outboard and free itself from two nibs on the outer edge. My mistake was not realising that the nuts are captive in two plastic brackets. I thought the brackets were part of the dark coloured bulb holder assy. After managing to do what I wanted (clean the lens surround) I came back in and read your reply and  of course the post you told me about made perfect sense. It’s one of those jobs that’s a nightmare to explain but ok to do.
On a slightly different note, the reason I had to take the lens assy off was mildew in the join between the outer cover and the inner bulb holder/reflector unit. I still didn’t get it clean because it allows water in but has very thin gap. Not a good design!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 04:22:41 PM by kavgreenleas »
Regards Mike

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 04:20:16 PM »