Author Topic: Is Mazda 3 keyless ignition at risk from hacking?  (Read 372 times)

Offline finallycruising

• S Class
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Snowflake White Pearl (25D)
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2016
Is Mazda 3 keyless ignition at risk from hacking?
« on: November 05, 2017, 11:47:17 AM »
I'd always though that the Mazda's keyless system was fairly secure compared to others, as it appears to need the presence of the key to keep driving, while some manufacturers only require it to be present to start the car. This allows the use of RF amplifiers to boost the signal from the key inside your home to start, and then drive the car away.

However, having got notification from the police about a lot of such thefts in our locality, I Googled Mazda keyless and found this article which lists the 3 Skyactive as one of the cars 'allegedly susceptible to keyless car hacks'.

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/cars/806889/Keyless-entry-car-keys-hack-theft-warning

Does anybody know more about this?

Paul

Offline misar

• Takara Class
  • Colour: Indigo Lights Mica (38K) Metallic
  • Year: 2009
Re: Is Mazda 3 keyless ignition at risk from hacking?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2017, 05:47:34 PM »
There is a simple test. Start the engine and walk away from the car with the transmitter. On my Gen 2 the car will beep and show a warning message after few feet but the engine keeps running. It cannot be restarted without the key but that is all a thief needs.

If you are worried keep the transmitter in a small metal box when not in use and that should foil the hackers.

Offline finallycruising

• S Class
  • Colour: Snowflake White Pearl (25D)
  • Year: 2016
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 10:11:21 PM »
Yes, my gen 3 beeps when the key is removed, but I haven't risked attempting to drive it without the fob to find out what happens! When I had a gen 2 I thought I'd read that it would stop if the key wasn't present for a period of time. However, thinking about it, that's probably not true as it could be pretty dangerous if the car suddenly stopped and the steering lock activated.

Offline MazdaD

• TS Class
  • I need to update my signature strip!!!
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: Winning Blue (27B) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Trim: TS
  • Year: 2008
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2017, 08:57:26 PM »
I've driven keyless rental cars and have t say, I'd never buy one.

How do you bump start the car with keyless?
To open the windows you have to start the engine. There's no ignition on option.
Security issue is the worst of all. I think car manufacturers work night jobs as car thieves...

Offline cwilliams255

• Sports Class
  • Colour: Velocity Red (27A) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Year: 2009
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2017, 10:44:03 PM »
Those things aren’t an issue on a MK2 3 at least, maybe all the cars you’ve tried were French  :D

Bump start, turn on ignition with button carry on as normal
Windows, use button to set ignition to 1st position, same as most cars I believe
The MK2 also has a normal key slot on steering column in case of some other issue
I suspect that the equipment needed to steal a keyless car still needs a fairly sophisticated criminal so this probably puts transponder cloning as more of an issue for high end cars than mass market

Offline MazdaD

• TS Class
  • I need to update my signature strip!!!
  • Colour: Winning Blue (27B) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Trim: TS
  • Year: 2008
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2017, 01:53:09 AM »
For example Volvo V40.
No different positions on button. Push once to start the engine, that's all.

Offline Tall333

• Takara Class
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic (41V)
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Trim: SE L Nav
  • Year: 2015
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2017, 09:34:43 AM »
The keyless Toyota and Mazdas I've driven have accessory and ignition stages.  Pushing the start button without pressing the brake (or the clutch if it's a manual) activates the accessory stage so you can listen to the radio etc.  Pushing the button again (still without pressing the clutch/brake) activates the ignition stage so you can use the windows etc (or bump start it).  Pushing a third time (still without pressing clutch/brake) switches everything back off.  Pushing the button at any stage with the brake/clutch pressed will start the engine.

As a side note - with the automatic gearbox versions (in the Mazdas anyway) you can shut the engine off but leave the accessory stage on, so you can continue to listen to the radio etc - simply push the button to switch the engine off with the gear selector in Neutral instead of Park.  I assume there'll be a way of doing it with a manual gearbox too but I've never looked for it.

A workmate recently bought a Volvo XC60 with keyless start - I'll ask him if his start button works the same way as the Mazda/Toyota ones.

edit... in relation to what happens if you leave the engine on with the key not present... I've left my car running (with my OH in it) while popping in to a shop.  It beeps a few times then goes quiet.  I'm sure the key would have been out of range while in the shop, and certainly while at the back of the shop, but the engine kept running.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 09:41:26 AM by Tall333 »

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2017, 09:34:43 AM »