Author Topic: Having to leave fog lights on to stop warning sound!  (Read 803 times)

Offline Drewcole81

• S Class
  • I need to update my signature strip!!!
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Winning Blue (27B) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2004
Having to leave fog lights on to stop warning sound!
« on: April 18, 2017, 10:12:51 AM »
Hello all, I have recently picked up my 2004 Mazda 3.

First of all, trying to google search anything on the car has proven troublesome as I use a VPN to connect to the internet.. which is through my company, which is American.. so I get some very funny results, mostly relating to US cars.. and I cannot change any search settings.

I have a slight annoyance more than an issue, with the arrangement my fog light switch has to be in to prevent the warning alarm and 'Lights On' dash symbol illuminating.

If I have the lights all to the off position, I find my dash and instrument lights either turn off or dim, and I also get the lights on symbol showing, which stays there regardless of the ignition being on or off and the key taken out.
To get around this I have to leave the fog light bevel on, which brings back the dash illumination and stop any alarms and the 'Lights On' symbol...

Like I said, it's just annoying really as it means the fogs are on when the lights come on so have to then always turn them off.

I can't seem to find anything wrong, or any hints in the handbook... so hoping some of you folk can shed some light on it for me?

Ta, Drew. 
2004 Mazda 3 Sport
2003 Seat Leon Cupra

Offline StevenRB45

• MPS Class
  • Suzuki and Fiat Refugee
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearl (34K) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Trim: TS2 Takuya
  • Year: 2011
Re: Having to leave fog lights on to stop warning sound!
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 10:04:10 PM »
Hopefully someone will be able to chip in with a idea from experience but it may be an idea to locate clean and tighten the earth (believe it's on the strut tower). They can cause all sorts of weirdness if loose or not making a proper contact. Also go thorough the various lighting contacts make sure they are clean and well seated. Finally check some joker hasn't fitted the wrong voltage bulbs.

Other possibilities would include a faulty stork itself. It's odd in that in my car the interior lights dim (car assumes it's dark outside) when the lights are on, yours seems to work the other way. Don't know if the earlier cars work the same though.

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Super Ultimate Class
  • East Anglia Mountain Rescue Team
  • Body: Saloon
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 12:09:02 AM »
Reading through your symptoms, I have to say that in your case everything is acting OPPOSITE to mine which is the same year/model.  I honestly don't have an answer but sounds bizarrely like the fog lights are wired in reverse.
The only time your instruments should dim is when you have headlights on, with the lights on warning lights illuminated.  Operating the fog lights, either the front or the rear or both should have no effect.

As the front and rear fog lights work from the same switch, have you any idea what the situation is regarding the rear fog lamp. What displays do you see with them switched on ?

Do you have the operating bevel set at Auto ?

Look at life through the windscreen, not the rearview mirror.
2004 Winning Blue 2Ltr Sport Saloon.  Laser Blue Main beams.

Offline moozmooz

• TS2 Class
  • Colour: Blue Reflex Mica (42B)
  • Trim: SE L Nav
  • Year: 2016
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 12:56:03 AM »
It sounds more like a logic screw up than anything else, so I'd be tempted to set all lighting switches to OFF and disconnect the battery for about 10 minutes. Reconnect and see what happens. You'll probably have to re-programme the windows but that's quick and easy.

Offline Drewcole81

• S Class
  • I need to update my signature strip!!!
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 09:03:37 AM »
Thanks for the replies all, will give the battery disconnect a go first and see how I get on with that.

To be honest i'm not overly bothered by it, just one of those niggly things that would be good if an easy fix!
2004 Mazda 3 Sport
2003 Seat Leon Cupra

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 09:03:37 AM »