Author Topic: Oil Level After Service  (Read 2463 times)

Offline RX8 Loon

• TS2 Class
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearl (34K) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2016
Oil Level After Service
« on: April 03, 2017, 10:18:24 PM »
Ok, this seems like a stupid question. Where should the oil level be on a 2.2d following a service? I would have thought at the F? Dealer tells me it should be at the L due to DPF issues. I've had the car since new for 7 years and can never remember the Oil Level ever being at L. From memory it is nearly always at F, but as I near service time it's about half way between F and X, which explains the DPF thing.

I've added 500ml to take it half way between L and F, as I am uncomfortable runnignthe car on L!

Please advise as it's annoying me ;)
Now 10 Mazda 3 2.2d Sport in Crystal White
Ex    54 Mazda RX8 192 in Winning Blue (4yrs)
Zoom Zoom

Offline moozmooz

• Sports Class
  • Colour: Blue Reflex Mica (42B)
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Trim: SE L Nav
Re: Oil Level After Service
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 11:58:34 PM »
I don't have a diesel but did a search and found an article on Honest John that may shed some light.

From one of the many posts - "I am a happy Mazda6 143PS DPF driver. Yes the oil level has gone up at times (I sometimes do local driving more than long runs) but knowing it has a DPF and having read the manual I know all of this. And the bright yellow warning sticker on the engine cover is a clue to read the manual."

So leaving headroom may be correct, though starting on L seems a bit drastic. Were you charged for a full fill?

A few years ago, I'd had the service with the brake fluid change and on checking the level before I left the garage, found that it was on minimum. The service manager assured me that this was to allow for wear, and he took more than a little convincing that the level would fall, not rise, with wear. I can't remember what he told me the ABS test clonk was, but he hadn't a clue. So always take what they say with a pinch of salt.

Offline StevenRB45

• MPS Class
  • Suzuki and Fiat Refugee
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Trim: TS2 Takuya
  • Year: 2011
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2017, 09:14:36 AM »
A few years ago, I'd had the service with the brake fluid change and on checking the level before I left the garage, found that it was on minimum. The service manager assured me that this was to allow for wear, and he took more than a little convincing that the level would fall, not rise, with wear. I can't remember what he told me the ABS test clonk was, but he hadn't a clue. So always take what they say with a pinch of salt.

We do have some 2.2 owners on here so hopefully one will pop in and add to this (I have a 1.6 petrol so my opinion is not really relevant).

Regards the brake fluid I've been on the other end of that, it was changed and topped up to max with an old set of discs and pads on. They were then replaced 12 months later and it was overflowing the reservoir..(I was happy with the garage who didn't bother looking you can imagine).

Offline RX8 Loon

• TS2 Class
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Trim: Sport
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2017, 01:58:45 PM »
OK, so having not believed a word on the Oil Level being at L being normal after a service. I added 500ml of oil myself which took it to mid way between the markers. I'm doing around 400 miles per week at the moment and didn't want to take any chances. I also contacted Mazda UK and asked there advice. They replied;

''I have been in discussion with our technical team who have agreed the way the oil has been checked is correct. It seems the dealership have made a mistake on this occasion. I have advised Arnold Clark of the mistake made and they  will be calling as soon as possible to arrange a booking. This will be to drain all of the oil from the vehicle and then filled to between the max and min lines on the dipstick.''

I have declined this offer and will keep an eye on it myself, I no longer trust them >:(
Now 10 Mazda 3 2.2d Sport in Crystal White
Ex    54 Mazda RX8 192 in Winning Blue (4yrs)
Zoom Zoom

Offline moozmooz

• Sports Class
  • Colour: Blue Reflex Mica (42B)
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Trim: SE L Nav