Author Topic: How often do you check top up your mazda battery?.  (Read 1954 times)

Offline speedy mazda

• TS2 Class
  • zoooom zooom zoooooooooooooooom
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Aluminium Silver (38P) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2010
How often do you check top up your mazda battery?.
« on: January 23, 2016, 04:32:16 PM »
Hi all its been nice day for car cleaning  , as well as checking over my mazda. I checked the oil then as I've had battery problems I checked battery I noticed they are not sealed battery's.has anyone else had to top up there battery's and if so are the plastic inserts in the top up holes used as guide for max level of water.All the other battery's ive had to topup you usually fill them until the water just touches the bottom of thr plastic inserts .I will have another look tomorrow in better light and get the torch on it lol.It looks as if the plastic inserts are the same as max level on the side of the battery, anyway I wondered if everyone checks battery levels?.

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Super Ultimate Class
  • East Anglia Mountain Rescue Team
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: Winning Blue (27B) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Year: 2004
Re: How often do you check top up your mazda battery?.
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2016, 05:35:33 PM »
My battery is a sealed unit. Not able to check the fluid level. 
Look at life through the windscreen, not the rearview mirror.
2004 Winning Blue 2Ltr Sport Saloon.  Laser Blue Main beams.

Offline StevenRB45

• MPS Class
  • Suzuki and Fiat Refugee
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearl (34K) Metallic
  • Trim: TS2 Takuya
  • Year: 2011
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2016, 07:15:12 PM »
Do you have the factory battery? I've never actually looked if I'm honest it lives in a large black box and I assumed it was maintenance free.

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Super Ultimate Class
  • East Anglia Mountain Rescue Team
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: Winning Blue (27B) Metallic
  • Year: 2004
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2016, 07:24:27 PM »
No it is a replacement, but it was supplied as OEM by my dealer, so I would imagine that Mazda would stipulate which battery to fit. I know that it is not amongst the battery makes that you normally get in UK. 
I went to have a look after my post above, and it's definitely no maintenance.

However going back some years I always used to check my battery fluid level on a weekly basis.
Look at life through the windscreen, not the rearview mirror.
2004 Winning Blue 2Ltr Sport Saloon.  Laser Blue Main beams.

Offline StevenRB45

• MPS Class
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2016, 07:32:08 PM »
Wondering if OP has the factory battery as theoretically if so we'd have the same one. I used to top up my battery water when I had a fiat uno but not had a none maintenance free battery in at least 15 years so never thought to look!

Offline speedy mazda

• TS2 Class
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2016, 04:01:09 AM »
Yes Steven Its the factory battery Its clear White case black top to battery and black star Shaped cell Tops that unscrew with rubber seals , plus Max min levels side of battery. Looked low fluid might be why had problems. Wondered If anyone has same battery.

Offline StevenRB45

• MPS Class
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2016, 08:00:11 AM »
Right had a look this morning I have the same battery, I would assume the inserts are for the max level (seems very plausible at least given their depth into the battery and the max marking in the side). Looking in mine with a torch this morning it seems it's about half way between max and minimum.

Do you have any battery plate exposed to air? Mine appears to all be "underwater" by a margin. Although given how clear the fluid is determining that margin is difficult!

Owners manual recommends topping up as needed and checking monthly.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 08:03:02 AM by StevenRB45 »

Offline speedy mazda

• TS2 Class
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2016, 10:39:59 AM »
Yes some cells seemed only just covered rather low on fluid topped up with distilled water now.i noticed the dealers had opened cover and put there pink grease on the terminals. Perhaps they top it up too just that its nearly year from service.my otherhalfs nissan battery was 12 years old when car sold I topped that up every year when I serviced it.

Offline StevenRB45

• MPS Class
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2016, 01:36:33 PM »
Well was on an errand this morning so after visiting 3 shops (surprisingly hard to get deionised water given it's required by steam mops), mines been topped up. I used the back plastic insets as my guide and it took about 250ml to top the whole thing up. Gave it a little run with everything that can be switched off, off as it seemed a little slower turning over after first being topped up.

Glad you mentioned it to be fair I'd just assumed it was maintenance free and not looked it other than when I first got the car and familiarising myself with where everything was. As you say can only surmise the dealer did it pre pick up and at the service.

Offline raynerph

• S Class
  • I need to update my signature strip!!!
  • Colour: Arctic White (A4D) Non-Metallic
  • Trim: SE L Nav
  • Year: 2014
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2017, 08:21:23 PM »
I've twice topped up the battery of my 2014 Skyactiv Mazda 3.  Each time the worst cell had dropped about 1/4 from the max line. Due to the location of the battery it is almost impossible to see the levels.  You can remove the plugs from the top of the battery to investigate the levels by dipping something in to find the level, but as the top of the battery gets covered in debris when you unscrew the plug on top of each cell this results in bits and pieces dropping into the battery and that is not good.

A better approach is to remove the battery and check the levels with the battery on a flat bench by shining a torch through the battery.  This way you can also clean the top of the battery before unscrewing the plugs on individual cells.

Remember that when disconnecting the battery from the car remove the negative first and tuck the lead in a position where it is secure, and then remove the positive.  The battery is really heavy so make sure you have a good grip when lifting and that you are strong enough to remove it.  I'd recommend wearing gloves.  Once the battery is out do make sure not to touch both terminals the same time!  The RAC provide good instructions: https://www.racshop.co.uk/advice/how-to-fit-a-car-battery

I'd like to think that a Mazda dealer would check the battery levels during a service, but given that my Mazda dealer previously returned my car to me after a service and told me that I needed to top up the engine's coolant, I wouldn't trust my Mazda dealer to check the battery.  (Yes, that's right they didn't offer to top up the coolant, they told me that it was my responsibility.  On a previous visit they'd told me the oil was low... and guess what they told me that I needed to top it up!)

Offline hanix

• TS Class
  • I need to update my signature strip!!!
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic (41V)
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2014
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2017, 09:08:53 PM »
Never let the plates get exposed as that is the route to battery explosion. If the battery or one particular cell needs frequent topping up that is a sign that it's on it's way out, or the charge rate is incorrect.

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2017, 09:08:53 PM »