Author Topic: How to install a reversing camera 2014 Sport Nav Fastback  (Read 10351 times)

Offline NickG

• S Class
  • I need to update my signature strip!!!
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Titanium Flash Metallic (42S)
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2015
Re: How to install a reversing camera 2014 Sport Nav Fastback
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2017, 12:50:24 PM »
Thanks for all the advice! I just installed a camera in a 2014 Hatchback using Whrrr's instructions above.

I used a different camera to the one listed in the original post as it had better reviews and is higher resolution: http://amzn.to/2ohHDMd  You get a different overlay (see below).

It's very compact and honestly looks like a factory-fit camera. I used black silicone sealant to fix the camera - rather than the back-nut as I didn't want to take too much trim off.  You only need to remove the top (brake light) trim, left trim (when looking at the open boot lid) and then partially unclip the main lower trim from the left hand side. Once you've drilled the hole in the blank area (aim for slightly below centre) you can then poke a stick or pencil through - to see where the wires will come out behind the trim.   I used T-Tap connectors from eBay to avoid soldering anything to the car's wiring. It was a little bit of a pain at these only really work with large gauge wires so I had to solder slightly fatter wire on to the ends of the camera's own cables to get a good connection.

Nick

Offline cliveastro

• S Class
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic (41V)
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Trim: SE L Nav
  • Year: 2014
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2017, 05:04:06 PM »
Hi
I want to fit a camera on 2015 mazda 3 sel nav hatchback and I wondered if you have any photos of your installation.
Have bought all the bits and set my DC to DC converter to 12v output.
I just want to be sure before I proceed,

Offline gravy258

• S Class
  • Colour: Blue Reflex Mica (42B)
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Trim: SE L Nav
  • Year: 2015
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2017, 05:05:44 PM »
I fitted the camera on my hatch a few days ago, all straightforward as described.
The four wires for the car are on the larger connector, not the top wire but the four below it facing you.
I set the voltage convertor with a chopped off USB cable, came out nicely at 6volts. (It was at 26volts output). A old phone charger would also do the job.
Started the car worked straight away. Well worth doing for safe reversing

I used the camera in Nickg's post

Offline newway

• S Class
  • Body: Fastback
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2017, 02:16:03 PM »
Parts list (other parts are available it's up to you what you use.)

Camera
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00RMKGMTO/ref=pe_385721_37986871_TE_item

Connecting cable
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B013HTXDKO/ref=pe_385721_37038051_TE_3p_dp_1

Step-up Voltage Converter
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HOT-DC-DC-ADJUSTABLE-STEP-UP-BOOST-POWER-CONVERTER-MODULE-XL6009-REPLACE-LM2577-/271837380870?hash=item3f4ac54106

Hello gknight9,

First of all thank you for your detailed instruction! I have the same 2014 3 fastback and tried to install a reserver camera myself. However I did not succeed :(

My step-up converter is different from yours, mine has a tiny LED indicator, if there is power coming from the 'IN', the led would lit up, even if the 'OUT' is not connected to anything. So I'd imagine when I connect the PCB connector to my car, restart my info-tainment and put into reverse, this LED should come on as well. But it did not, which seems to indicate that there is no power (5V) coming from my car. This is true whether I fully start my engine, or just start the battery with the engine button (2 presses)

Part from restarting the info-tainment and put in reverse, is there any steps I missed?
You said you don't need to start the engine, but do you only press the engine button once or twice?

Thank you very much!

Offline newway

• S Class
  • Body: Fastback
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2017, 09:41:57 PM »
【UPDATE】
I've finally make the reverse camera working. So here I would like to share my observations and hope it will help someone in the future who ran into similar problems.

My reverse camera and cables are brought from a different brand/vendor:

But the number of cables, the way they connected, are all identical to OP's settings. So at first I thought this is going to be a piece of cake! I can be so wrong...

My step-up converter:

Availabe at https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-shipping-1PCS-DC-DC-power-supply-module-boost-module-step-up-voltage-converter-Voltage-regulator/32677411593.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.59TAA9

has a small LED indicator, if you connect the 'IN' side and feed power (e.g. 5V), the LED will light up, regardless on whether the 'OUT' side is connected (This turns out to be very helpful to my debug later on).

When I follow OP's steps to connect the black and red wires to the 'OUT', and keep the IN powered via a 5V power adaptor, the LED suddently turned off, when I loosen either the black OR red wire, it turns back on. This indicates a short-curcuit.

I spend a long time going back and forth on OP's post to see if I have missed anyting, until finally I use a multimeter to test the "power B" connector: there is continuity between positive(+) and negative (-) plates, meaning effectively there is only 1 wire inside the "power B" wiring, which is very strange. When I test the camera side (power A) and it is normal.

So in the end I have to do the following differently from OP's post:

1. cut the power B cable, reveal the black(-) and red(+) wires, soulder the red to the OUT+, black to OUT -

2. OP said to ignore 'the other wire' from Video B, but I have to soulder the 'other wire' to
   'IN -' along with the other black wires from the USB PCI

Other tips:

I use my TV to test my wiring and camera, using the composite Y video connector.

There is quite large gap between the USB PCI connector and the car's white connector, many times when I connect them I was only pushing the PCI connector below the pins.

It took me longer but I am glad it worked.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 09:43:36 PM by newway »

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Super Ultimate Class
  • East Anglia Mountain Rescue Team
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: Winning Blue (27B) Metallic
  • Year: 2004
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2017, 09:46:13 PM »
Well done. Appreciate your update. I'm sure it will be useful to others (like me ) contemplating fitting a camera. 
Look at life through the windscreen, not the rearview mirror.
2004 Winning Blue 2Ltr Sport Saloon.  Laser Blue Main beams.

Offline gknight9

• Takara Class
  • Body: Saloon
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2017, 04:07:23 PM »
newway - Sorry I missed your post, congratulations on getting it working.

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2017, 04:07:23 PM »