Author Topic: Alloy road wheels - CORROSION  (Read 83146 times)

Offline tony2b

• TS Class
Re: Alloy road wheels - CORROSION
« Reply #270 on: August 24, 2013, 02:20:15 PM »
Looks like the problem is still with the alloys  >:(
Can any Mazda Techs shine a light on this.

Tony

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Super Ultimate Class
  • East Anglia Mountain Rescue Team
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: Winning Blue (27B) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2004
« Reply #271 on: August 24, 2013, 03:39:11 PM »
It's not "techie" issue, just a well known and highly documented situation that has been going on since 2004.  Mazda  (or in actual fact the sub contractor who makes the wheels) have never manufactured or coated their wheels to contend with the climate in this country. Over the years I have spoken with many people in multiple countries who have never had a problem with this kind of corrosion. It's a combination of UK weather conditions and the chemicals that are invariably used on our roads during the winter months.

I have in the past spoken directly to a Mazda engineer at Mazda UK who acknowledged that this was the case, but for Mazda to make an exception by manufacturing or fitting different wheels to UK spec models is out of the question. This is why Mazda have usually honoured every claim under warranty and have even gone so far in some cases to offer a goodwill donation to help towards replacing affected wheels outside of the warranty period.
I myself have had 4 complete sets of wheels. Three inside warranty and one set just outside, so I have plenty of experience of this.
Of course as a company Mazda are never going to continually replace wheels past the warranty end and I think I'm right in saying that even if you take out an extended warranty, the wheels are not covered.

Unfortunately this is the Achilles heel of most Mazda 3's and to some degree other Mazda's also.  Although this will not make you feel any better, we are not alone.  BMW, and Toyota have also experienced the same problem.
There are many topics covering this on the Forum including some that go some way to explaning the chemical interactions that cause the corrosion. There are also some offering advice regarding protecting the wheels (coatings & polish etc).  There are also some relating to refurbishing and powder coating them to resolve the issue. Of course the last ditch solution is to change the wheels for an aftermarket style that can combat the elements better than the OEM's.

Hope this helps.
Look at life through the windscreen, not the rearview mirror.
2004 Winning Blue 2Ltr Sport Saloon.  Laser Blue Main beams.

Offline tony2b

• TS Class
« Reply #272 on: August 25, 2013, 04:53:08 PM »
Thanks for the reply, yes that does explain why the problem is still about.

Thanks Tony

Offline E.T.

• Takara Class
  • I need to update my signature strip!!!
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Arctic White (A4D) Non-Metallic
  • Year: 2014
« Reply #273 on: February 03, 2017, 05:06:11 PM »
It's not "techie" issue, just a well known and highly documented situation that has been going on since 2004.  Mazda  (or in actual fact the sub contractor who makes the wheels) have never manufactured or coated their wheels to contend with the climate in this country. Over the years I have spoken with many people in multiple countries who have never had a problem with this kind of corrosion. It's a combination of UK weather conditions and the chemicals that are invariably used on our roads during the winter months.

I have in the past spoken directly to a Mazda engineer at Mazda UK who acknowledged that this was the case, but for Mazda to make an exception by manufacturing or fitting different wheels to UK spec models is out of the question. This is why Mazda have usually honoured every claim under warranty and have even gone so far in some cases to offer a goodwill donation to help towards replacing affected wheels outside of the warranty period.
I myself have had 4 complete sets of wheels. Three inside warranty and one set just outside, so I have plenty of experience of this.
Of course as a company Mazda are never going to continually replace wheels past the warranty end and I think I'm right in saying that even if you take out an extended warranty, the wheels are not covered.

Unfortunately this is the Achilles heel of most Mazda 3's and to some degree other Mazda's also.  Although this will not make you feel any better, we are not alone.  BMW, and Toyota have also experienced the same problem.
There are many topics covering this on the Forum including some that go some way to explaning the chemical interactions that cause the corrosion. There are also some offering advice regarding protecting the wheels (coatings & polish etc).  There are also some relating to refurbishing and powder coating them to resolve the issue. Of course the last ditch solution is to change the wheels for an aftermarket style that can combat the elements better than the OEM's.

Hope this helps.
Hmm.  Not a chance. was the reply.  Full dealer service history, and I 'm the original owner.  I payed full whack as it was one of the very first BM models in the UK (7th I was told)

Still in Warranty (up to the 27th of Jan and this was the reply before the warranty run out).  That's because despite  keeping the car detailed and absolutely immaculate the wheels are only just going on the outward facing side, they're all bad where its on view on the inner sides... but most people have a layer of dirt. So that doesn't count.

I suspect if I had abused the car by not looking after it, they would have been replaced.  Because I super detail its not the case....that to me sucks! You would think they would be interested in keeping an enthusiasts car looking superly nice, but instead it just highlights things.

This car BTW is one of three Mazda's in our household and the second one I have purchased brand new from Mazda. 

I just know if nothing is done I won't buying another. (It just doesn't make any business sense either!)
Zoom Zoom

Offline StevenRB45

• MPS Class
  • Suzuki and Fiat Refugee
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearl (34K) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Trim: TS2 Takuya
  • Year: 2011
« Reply #274 on: February 03, 2017, 10:55:58 PM »
At 5 years mine are bubbly in places, however a little perspective is a nice thing. They have less corrosion than the 2nd replacement set on the wife's ds3 which is 2.5 years old and has done 11k not 56.

I plan to get them refurbished when they get bad but they are still OK from 3 yards at the moment.

Offline Kubemusik

• S Class
  • Colour: Sparkling Silver (24E) Metallic
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Trim: TS
  • Year: 2010
« Reply #275 on: December 28, 2017, 07:15:40 PM »
I had my Mazda 3 2010 wheels shot blasted and powder coated for £40 a corner and so far they are as good as new. The problem isn't solely with Mazda, most Japanese manufacturers have the same issue

Offline Kentish

• S Class
  • Colour: Deep Crystal Blue Metallic (42M)
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2017
« Reply #276 on: June 10, 2018, 11:18:48 AM »
My 3 is 6 months old, and just had 3 new wheels for bubbling finish.

Offline Engineer Andy

• TS2 Class
  • Smoke me a kipper - I'll be back for breakfast!
  • Colour: Sunlight Silver (22V) Metallic
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2005
« Reply #277 on: June 14, 2018, 06:45:23 PM »
Seems to be quite common on Mazdas, though I've noted on my travels that KIAs and Hyundais from the last 5 years seem to wear a bit better, so maybe they treat them with a more robust coating/laquer.  Maybe many firms are using the same sub-contractor to make their alloy wheels, and they don't realise that certain countries regular use corrosive salts/grits on snowy/icy roads as we do.

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Super Ultimate Class
  • East Anglia Mountain Rescue Team
  • Colour: Winning Blue (27B) Metallic
  • Year: 2004
« Reply #278 on: June 14, 2018, 08:50:36 PM »
It may have passed by a few peoples notice, but this topic has been on the go since 2007 (i.e 11 years)  There's an old saying. "Nothing new under the sun"  The questions and answers remain the same.  :) 
Look at life through the windscreen, not the rearview mirror.
2004 Winning Blue 2Ltr Sport Saloon.  Laser Blue Main beams.

Offline E.T.

• Takara Class
  • Colour: Arctic White (A4D) Non-Metallic
  • Year: 2014
« Reply #279 on: June 17, 2018, 10:24:12 PM »

Hope this helps.
Hmm.  Not a chance. was the reply.  Full dealer service history, and I 'm the original owner.  I payed full whack as it was one of the very first BM models in the UK (7th I was told)

Still in Warranty (up to the 27th of Jan and this was the reply before the warranty run out).  That's because despite  keeping the car detailed and absolutely immaculate the wheels are only just going on the outward facing side, they're all bad where its on view on the inner sides... but most people have a layer of dirt. So that doesn't count.

I suspect if I had abused the car by not looking after it, they would have been replaced.  Because I super detail its not the case....that to me sucks! You would think they would be interested in keeping an enthusiasts car looking superly nice, but instead it just highlights things.

This car BTW is one of three Mazda's in our household and the second one I have purchased brand new from Mazda. 

I just know if nothing is done I won't buying another. (It just doesn't make any business sense either!)
for the record, Mazda did replace wheels as a proportion and I paid 75 quid towards them, even though the corrosion was reported within the warranty period. Apparently Mazda UK deny all knowledge of this, and many other warranty matters that my car had. No record. It does have a record of faulty wipers... which I've never had.

I sold the car on principle and won't bother looking at Mazda again. Loyalty (3 mazdas) means F all to them. Ive now bought a BMW 5 series.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 10:25:44 PM by E.T. »
Zoom Zoom

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #279 on: June 17, 2018, 10:24:12 PM »