Author Topic: The Mazda 3 Fuel Economy Thread  (Read 260418 times)

Offline neeldub

• Administrator
  • Super Ultimate Class
  • 2008 Mazda 3 Sport Saloon 1.6
    • My Cardomain site
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: Sunlight Silver (22V) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2008
Re: The Mazda 3 Fuel Economy Thread
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2007, 11:35:02 PM »
i filled mine on tuesday full. the trip computer then read 487 Miles with the full tank @ 12.8/100M..

2008 Mazda 3 Sport Saloon 1.6
Veba Freeview TV box, Rear view camera, Front View Camera
Colour Coded Headlights, Angel Eyes, MPS Aero Wing Mirrors

Offline huwdavid

• TS Class
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: True Red (A4A) Metallic
  • Year: 2006
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2007, 05:39:50 PM »
Hmmm.

I am on my second 2.0 Petrol Sport (had a 55 now got a 57) and pretty much don't get more than 280 miles out of a full tank.

The computer reckons that equates to 29mpg.

I do mainly around town driving - so that probably explains it - but even when on motorway runs I don't tend to get more than 300 miles from a full tank.

I had hoped that with my new Sport things would improve - but if anything it is slightly worse. Had hoped the 6th gear would have made a difference - and the cruise - but it would seem not.

I can only dream of 400 miles from a tank!!!! :-\
<- Black Mica 2012 Sport Nav Diesel ->

Offline daiking

• Ultimate Class
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2007, 06:05:47 PM »
The past 2 weeks are killing my economy, very colds start and city driving are bringing my mpg down to 31mpg for the last tank and 32mpg for the current one. And that's from a 1.6!

And yet, yesterday I drove a 1.8 civic "enthusiastically" for 120miles and couldn't get the trip meter below 38mpg  :(

Offline neeldub

• Administrator
  • Super Ultimate Class
  • 2008 Mazda 3 Sport Saloon 1.6
    • My Cardomain site
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: Sunlight Silver (22V) Metallic
  • Year: 2008
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2007, 06:09:47 PM »
for the cold morning starts, i leave the car to warm up till it idles at 900rpm, but during that time i rev it a lil bit. that way i noticed that my MPG stays the same.. try it and see what happens..
2008 Mazda 3 Sport Saloon 1.6
Veba Freeview TV box, Rear view camera, Front View Camera
Colour Coded Headlights, Angel Eyes, MPS Aero Wing Mirrors

Offline sk4tec

• Ultimate Class
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2007, 07:24:33 PM »
And yet, yesterday I drove a 1.8 civic "enthusiastically" for 120miles and couldn't get the trip meter below 38mpg  :(

If its the new one with the 1.8 i-vtec then its got trick valves (like BMW's valvetronic). On part throttle it fully opens the throttle and adjusts the valve timing and 'throttles' the engine that way. Resulting in less pumping loss and more mpg. Its also in a cheaper road tax bracket.

1998 Peugeot 306 XSi 16v
1999 VW Passat 1.8 Sport
2002 Golf Mk IV GT TDi 150
2005 Mazda 3 Sport 2.0 (Petrol)
Current: Seat Leon MK II FR 2.0 TFSi DSG

Offline daiking

• Ultimate Class
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2007, 07:53:00 PM »
yeah a new one. Can't stand the 6spd box but that engine in my car would be great.

Offline markiered

• Takara Class
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2007, 02:17:02 PM »
Well today got my K&N high performance air filter for my mazda and all I can say is WOW!!!

Car ran a whole lot better smoother with it and the plus side getting better mpg with it to.  On the mazda filter was getting about 26mpg around town, and did a trip to town and back with the K&N filter (round trip is about 4miles) got a nice mpg of around 29
totally worth the money around £50 for the filter and bouns part it's a lifetime filter.  Will be monitoring it more next trip on the dual carriage way to exeter and back and see how it fairs then.

Go get yourself one won't be disappointed
Zoom Zoom.... 2006 Mazda 3 sport saloon Titanium Grey

Offline sk4tec

• Ultimate Class
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2007, 04:23:28 PM »
Well today got my K&N high performance air filter for my mazda and all I can say is WOW!!!

Car ran a whole lot better smoother with it and the plus side getting better mpg with it to.  On the mazda filter was getting about 26mpg around town, and did a trip to town and back with the K&N filter (round trip is about 4miles) got a nice mpg of around 29
totally worth the money around £50 for the filter and bouns part it's a lifetime filter.  Will be monitoring it more next trip on the dual carriage way to exeter and back and see how it fairs then.

Just to let you know, there is a counter argument to K&N that in the long term they allow more dirt in which causes damage. :-X

Yes it does improve air flow but at the expense of filtration. Wet filters rely on oil to trap dirt, as the oil is doing the work that the thicker paper would do so, you need to maintain the filter. However you also need to be careful of not over oiling it and breaking the air mass meter. Not an issue in motorsport where engines get rebuilt.

1998 Peugeot 306 XSi 16v
1999 VW Passat 1.8 Sport

Offline markiered

• Takara Class
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2007, 06:04:03 PM »

Just to let you know, there is a counter argument to K&N that in the long term they allow more dirt in which causes damage. :-X

Yes it does improve air flow but at the expense of filtration. Wet filters rely on oil to trap dirt, as the oil is doing the work that the thicker paper would do so, you need to maintain the filter. However you also need to be careful of not over oiling it and breaking the air mass meter. Not an issue in motorsport where engines get rebuilt.
Thanks for the input, yes got my filter service instruction sheet inside the box, on their website they say don't need to clean it out until you've done 50000 miles not sure how true that is, but probably clean my out every year or two, which will be well below 50000miles anyway.  So if the filter is maintained properly it's should do it's job and filter out the dirt/dust as good as the normal paper filters??

Offline sk4tec

• Ultimate Class
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2007, 06:37:52 PM »
Thanks for the input, yes got my filter service instruction sheet inside the box, on their website they say don't need to clean it out until you've done 50000 miles not sure how true that is, but probably clean my out every year or two, which will be well below 50000miles anyway.  So if the filter is maintained properly it's should do it's job and filter out the dirt/dust as good as the normal paper filters??

I don't know :-X

But its the oil that is doing the some of the work. It does need maintenance where as a paper (stock) one doesn't. Perhaps half the cleaning schedule.

I know in the Scooby world where you can get approved upgrades from Prodrive (PPP) it cost a lot of money (ecu, fuel pump, exhaust) and they don't change the air box for a K&N, why don't they as its a relatively cheap mod?

There is a lot of debate on Scooby forums on which is better\safer etc.

1998 Peugeot 306 XSi 16v
1999 VW Passat 1.8 Sport

Offline markiered

• Takara Class
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2007, 10:26:46 AM »
Had my little trip on the dual carriage way doing about 70mph give or take a few mph today and on the way back went thru shaldon to torquay which has a nice up hill bendy road.  Total trip was just under 39miles.  read out for fuel consumption was 11.8 litre/100mile convert that to mpg comes to 38mpg not bad if I may say so better mpg then the standard mazda filter for me and also car ran much better to.

Offline daiking

• Ultimate Class
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2007, 04:07:16 PM »
This is interesting to know. Having seen the Philipine CAI, I can't believe how mazda complicate the path of the air flow into the engine. If the K&N can improve mpg by 5% it'll pay for itself in less than a year for me.

Offline Mica_MPS

• TS2 Class
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2007, 09:27:13 AM »
The MPS continues to be surprisingly economical as a daily driver; currently averaging just under 29mpg, and managing 32mpg on a relaxed 85mph cruise (indicated). Use the turbo hard, of course, and that drops dramatically, but the rest of the time the direct injection has real economy benefits.
Black Mica '56 Mazda 3 MPS

Offline kiyser_sosae

• TS Class
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2007, 10:25:10 PM »
Yep im getting 33.mpg no problem sitting at 75 80mph

Offline hussein

• Sports Class
  • I am the stig
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2007, 08:49:20 PM »
I've just finished my first tankful which I filled up with when I got the car and got 420 miles out of it.  Thats 40 litres I think.  If thats right, thats 8.8 gallons which makes 47.7mpg.  Not bad considering I hammered it somewhat on the way home from Sheffield (generally a steady 80mph cruise, erm on the autobahn of course).  There was one trip to Reading and back, but the rest was all London traffic.

I'll post back again later when I've done a few more tankfuls and see whether this is easily repeated.  Its a nice mileage, but not quite as much as I was getting out of my little Skoda 1.9 TDI.

Thats a 2005 1.6D with 23k on it.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 08:54:07 PM by hussein »
Now: 2006 Honda Civic FK3 2.2 iCTDI EX Cosmic Grey Pearl / Mega Spec / iPod / Interior Lighting
Then: 2005 Mazda 3 1.6D TS Hatch Winning Blue Metallic / ICE / Bluetooth / HIDs / Nice Trim

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2007, 08:49:20 PM »