Author Topic: what tyres?  (Read 6587 times)

Offline bobmax

• TS2 Class
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Deep Crystal Blue Metallic (42M)
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: SE L Nav
  • Year: 2014
what tyres?
« on: March 20, 2017, 07:50:53 PM »
What tyres do you guys go for nowadays on a 2014 mazda 3 ?
I don't need any yet (luckily) but just wondering ;)
Familiarity breeds contempt - and children

Offline StevenRB45

• MPS Class
  • Suzuki and Fiat Refugee
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearl (34K) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Trim: TS2 Takuya
  • Year: 2011
Re: what tyres?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 08:32:57 PM »
On my 2011 I'm a fan of my Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance. They aren't the most performance related tyre, possibly a little soft in the side walls if you like to back road blast. Not that they are terribly floaty just a little less steering feel than the factory toyos.

Flip side of that would be they grip much better in poor conditions (especially wet and cold). Not sure what the ultimate dry grip is like but I've never broken it loose in dry or wet since getting the new tyres, basically the limits are higher than my fear/antisocial behaviour tolerance is these days. Whereas I could get the Toyos to break loose far too easily for my liking. That and they are low rolling resistance, and very quiet while still providing performance so winner for me.

Offline bobmax

• TS2 Class
  • Colour: Deep Crystal Blue Metallic (42M)
  • Trim: SE L Nav
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 12:47:11 AM »
On my 2011 I'm a fan of my Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance. They aren't the most performance related tyre, possibly a little soft in the side walls if you like to back road blast. Not that they are terribly floaty just a little less steering feel than the factory toyos.

Flip side of that would be they grip much better in poor conditions (especially wet and cold). Not sure what the ultimate dry grip is like but I've never broken it loose in dry or wet since getting the new tyres, basically the limits are higher than my fear/antisocial behaviour tolerance is these days. Whereas I could get the Toyos to break loose far too easily for my liking. That and they are low rolling resistance, and very quiet while still providing performance so winner for me.

Cheers Stephen.
Can't think of the name of the tyres on my motor, but I like them so far. 8)
The car is nearly 3 years old with 21000 on the clock.
The last motor I had (Volvo XC60) had Pirrelli's which I had to replace the front ones at 18000, was not impressed. :o
won't be getting them again.
Familiarity breeds contempt - and children

Offline StevenRB45

• MPS Class
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 06:22:45 PM »
Well I've done 5.5k miles on my current set rears are still on 8mm (as new) fronts are at 7mm. At that rate if I don't rotate them I should easily get 25k out of the fronts if not a little more. I plan to get them rotated at the service annually so might even see 50k out of the set.

Tyres end up being personal choice in the end, my dad swears by continentals, but I find them just plain dangerous in winter conditions and very puncture prone. A mate of mine has a set of Dunlop SP sport Bluresponse, which are pretty much one of the highest reviewed tyres you can get and was initially complimentary but now complains of wheel spin on second gear on an 82 horsepower car. I would suggest that might be operator error in that case..

Offline amar1994

• TS2 Class
  • Zoom-Zoom
  • Colour: Black Mica (16W) Metallic
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Trim: Tamura
  • Year: 2012
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2017, 07:34:36 PM »
Hello everyone , which tyre would you choose out of these , speed and load index taken in to the account  ;)
As we know , those 1.6 diesel BL-s are measured around 1300kg of weight

http://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?s_p=Dunlop-Sport-Maxx-RT2-225_45-R17-94W-XL-with-rim-protection-_MFS__-_&details=Ordern&typ=R-293155&cart_id=37746650.110.32597&ranzahl=4&Breite=225&Herst=Dunlop&Quer=45&Felge=17&weiter=0&kategorie=6&Ang_pro_Seite=20&Transport=P&tyre_for=PKW&dsco=110&sowigan=So&m_s=3&profil=Sport%20Maxx%20RT2&search_tool=standard

http://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?s_p=Dunlop-Sport-Maxx-RT2-225_45-ZR17-_91Y_-with-rim-protection-_MFS_&details=Ordern&typ=R-302110&cart_id=37746650.110.32597&ranzahl=4&Breite=225&Herst=Dunlop&Quer=45&Felge=17&weiter=0&kategorie=6&Ang_pro_Seite=20&Transport=P&tyre_for=PKW&dsco=110&sowigan=So&m_s=3&profil=Sport%20Maxx%20RT2&search_tool=standard

http://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?s_p=Continental-PremiumContact-6-225_45-R17-94Y-XL-with-kerbing-rib&details=Ordern&typ=R-336316&cart_id=37746650.110.32597&ranzahl=4&Breite=225&Herst=Continental&Quer=45&Felge=17&weiter=0&kategorie=6&Ang_pro_Seite=20&Transport=P&tyre_for=PKW&dsco=110&sowigan=So&m_s=3&profil=PremiumContact%206&search_tool=standard

http://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?s_p=Hankook-Ventus-Prime-3-K125-225_45-R17-94V-XL&details=Ordern&typ=R-303511&cart_id=37746650.110.32597&ranzahl=4&Breite=225&Herst=Hankook&Quer=45&Felge=17&weiter=0&kategorie=6&Ang_pro_Seite=20&Transport=P&tyre_for=PKW&dsco=110&sowigan=So&m_s=3&profil=Ventus%20Prime%203%20K125&search_tool=standard

Thanks  :)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 09:33:59 PM by amar1994 »

Offline Engineer Andy

• Takara Class
  • Smoke me a kipper - I'll be back for breakfast!
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: Sunlight Silver (22V) Metallic
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2005
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 06:31:32 PM »

One thing I didn't initially appreciate for the mk3 (compared to previous versions) is that the tyres for the models up to and including the SE-L Nav have unusual sized tyres, namely 205/60 R16, not the previous, and widely available 205/55 R16 such as on my mk1 TS2.  As such, what was a £60 - £80 tyre (fiited price) is now £20+ for the same make and model.  Not sure why Mazda changed the fitment to a less widely available ratio that surely makes little difference to the ride quality, but means prices of replacements are 25-30% higher and there's less choice.

Same with the use of the 18in Dunlop Sport Maxx on the Sport models, which by all accounts are very difficult (not to mention very expensive) to get hold of in the UK if you want to replace a flat tyre with a like-for-like one.  At least (for the 16in tyres) the much-vaunted (by Honest John from the Telegraph [I'm also a member of his website]) Michelin CrossClimate.  I might try them (on my mk1 if I keep it for another 20k miles or replacement if I buy another Mazda, some way down the road) if they don't work out too expensive, given I'm light on tyres (I get 40k+ miles out of mine usually).  My current Dunlop SP Sport FastResponse aren't too bad, far better the the original OEM Bridgsstone ER30s (very hard, noisy ride and very poor reviews on tyrereview.co.uk), and the cousins of the Goodyears, the Dunlop BlueResponse are probably fine too.  To be honest, like Steven, I prefer comfort (to a degree) over outright performance, as long as they are decent generally.

Offline StevenRB45

• MPS Class
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2017, 12:09:14 AM »
In my opinion given the style of car a mid range slightly performance related tyre is enough on a 3. It's not a performance car as such but I do like to have a bit in hand for when I do have a bit of fun.

When I push on the Goodyears give enough, it's a set of 205 section 17 inch wheels on a car with quite advanced suspension at the end of the day discretion should always come before the point of grip loss on a public road (no public service message you'd just have a huge accident if you were going fast enough to bin a 3 as a result of overwhelming the available grip), and it's not the sort of car you'd track day (unless it's a 2.3 tub). They score very highly in aqua planing and wet weather handling and are good enough in dry weather that I don't feel like I have to make allowances for them.

But going back to perspective, I used to drive fiats with 135/155/165 section tyres and no driver aids at more than the speeds I do now for my formative driving years. As a result I'm very used to building forces in the tyre gradually enough that you don't lock a wheel, spin a wheel or induce understeer while carrying decent speed. So while to me I have more than enough grip if that's not your history then you may not have the same opinion.

Offline Jiggy

• S Class
  • I need to update my signature strip!!!
  • Body: Fastback
  • Colour: Meteor Grey Mica (42A)
  • Trim: Sport
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2017, 12:38:07 PM »
Looking for tyres myself and the goodyears looked good until I read somewhere the sidewalks are a bit thinner and can wear out quicker? They have been designed to be lightweight so the actual material is thinner?? Has anyone else found this or is it a single persons anomaly

Offline RichardC

• Takara Class
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic (41V)
  • Transmission: Automatic
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2017, 04:16:51 PM »
I had punctures in the walls on 2 tyres within first month of ownership and then found and confirmed by Dunlop that the Sport MAXX is not available in the UK or even Europe. I bought 2 Falkens as so few manufacturers make this size. I have since sold the car and my buyer has had to replace the Falkens at 14,000 miles although they were far from the minimum limit. His Mazda dealer recommended Uni Royal Rainsport 3 which he bought but too early to comment on.
Sunbeam Talbot 90
Sunbeam Rapier
Hillman Avenger GT
MGBGT
Hillman Hunter
Triumph 2.5PI
Cavalier S Reg
Sierra A Reg
Sierra F Reg
Cavalier H Reg
Cavalier M Reg
Vectra P Reg
Subaru Impreza Turbo W Reg
Mercedes SLK 230 51 Reg
Mercedes C180K 07Reg
Mercedes C180K 59 Reg
Mercedes C180 CGI 61 Reg

Offline StevenRB45

• MPS Class
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2017, 06:23:23 PM »
Looking for tyres myself and the goodyears looked good until I read somewhere the sidewalks are a bit thinner and can wear out quicker? They have been designed to be lightweight so the actual material is thinner?? Has anyone else found this or is it a single persons anomaly

The Goodyear's have been fine for me, had 2 sets on two different cars, no punctures so far *touch wood* and they seem to wear OK, lost 1mm off my fronts in 9k. When I say soft in the sidewall I'm more referring to the handling, they seem to be quite flexible which introduces a little bit of wooliness to the turn in compared to the factory fit toyos. Not had any sidewall cuts or worn the shoulders off yet.

Only available for cars fitted with 16 inch wheels though, also EfficientGrip and EfficientGrip Performance are very different tyres. The EfficientGrip are more pure eco tyres while the performance version has bit more of a sporting bias.

Offline Jiggy

• S Class
  • Body: Fastback
  • Colour: Meteor Grey Mica (42A)
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2017, 07:16:24 PM »
Ok cheers for that, I'll be getting some next week so a bit more research for me then 👍🏻

Offline Estel

• S Class
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2002
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2017, 02:33:07 PM »
Hello everyone , which tyre would you choose out of these , speed and load index taken in to the account  ;)
As we know , those 1.6 diesel BL-s are measured around 1300kg of weight

http://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?s_p=Dunlop-Sport-Maxx-RT2-225_45-R17-94W-XL-with-rim-protection-_MFS__-_&details=Ordern&typ=R-293155&cart_id=37746650.110.32597&ranzahl=4&Breite=225&Herst=Dunlop&Quer=45&Felge=17&weiter=0&kategorie=6&Ang_pro_Seite=20&Transport=P&tyre_for=PKW&dsco=110&sowigan=So&m_s=3&profil=Sport%20Maxx%20RT2&search_tool=standard

http://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?s_p=Dunlop-Sport-Maxx-RT2-225_45-ZR17-_91Y_-with-rim-protection-_MFS_&details=Ordern&typ=R-302110&cart_id=37746650.110.32597&ranzahl=4&Breite=225&Herst=Dunlop&Quer=45&Felge=17&weiter=0&kategorie=6&Ang_pro_Seite=20&Transport=P&tyre_for=PKW&dsco=110&sowigan=So&m_s=3&profil=Sport%20Maxx%20RT2&search_tool=standard

http://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?s_p=Continental-PremiumContact-6-225_45-R17-94Y-XL-with-kerbing-rib&details=Ordern&typ=R-336316&cart_id=37746650.110.32597&ranzahl=4&Breite=225&Herst=Continental&Quer=45&Felge=17&weiter=0&kategorie=6&Ang_pro_Seite=20&Transport=P&tyre_for=PKW&dsco=110&sowigan=So&m_s=3&profil=PremiumContact%206&search_tool=standard

http://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?s_p=Hankook-Ventus-Prime-3-K125-225_45-R17-94V-XL&details=Ordern&typ=R-303511&cart_id=37746650.110.32597&ranzahl=4&Breite=225&Herst=Hankook&Quer=45&Felge=17&weiter=0&kategorie=6&Ang_pro_Seite=20&Transport=P&tyre_for=PKW&dsco=110&sowigan=So&m_s=3&profil=Ventus%20Prime%203%20K125&search_tool=standard

Thanks  :)

Hi, I'm not sure that it's still at play, however, I'd like to drop a line cause having used the same ones.
From the above, I'd choose Hankook Ventus Prime, these https://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?s_p=Hankook-Ventus-Prime-3-K125-225_45-R17-94V-XL&details=Ordern&typ=R-303511&cart_id=37746650.110.32597&ranzahl=4&Breite=225&Herst=Hankook&Quer=45&Felge=17&weiter=0&kategorie=6&Ang_pro_Seite=20&Transport=P&tyre_for=PKW&dsco=110&sowigan=So&m_s=3&profil=Ventus%2520Prime%25203%2520K125&search_tool=standard
Previously owned such and was impressed with the performance.
As well I can reckon Dunlop Sport Max RT2with rim protection, good ones. You may have a look here http://www.tirendo.co.uk/.
Good luck.
Hope, it helps somehow.

Offline Michael connolly

• S Class
  • Colour: Carbon Grey (28B) Metallic
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2018, 08:48:06 PM »
Dunlop Maxx are very good

Offline Engineer Andy

• Takara Class
  • Smoke me a kipper - I'll be back for breakfast!
  • Colour: Sunlight Silver (22V) Metallic
  • Trim: TS2
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2018, 04:57:51 PM »
Dunlop Maxx are very good

They should be, given the price!  The 18in tyres on the mk3 Mazda3 Sport models are about twice the price (~£130) than that of the mk1 and 2 standard model 16in tyres (much more widely available and ~£65); the mk3 odd-sized 60 (rather than 55) profile tyres are not that widely available, and for the same tyres as the mk1/2 55 profile tyres, they cost about £80 - £90 each.

Not sure if Mazda just dropped the ball with their wheel and tyre sizes for the mk3 given the above (I couldn't tell much difference in comfort between the old mk1 on 55 profile 16in tyres and new mk3 on 60 profile tyres, but the mk3 Sport's ride is very much on the firm side) and high wear on the 18in tyres for (even with the 165 model) not exactly lightning performance on the Sport, or something else?  That and the cars not coming as standard with a fitted spare wheel (of any kind) and charging £400 to have a spacesaver fitted, personally doesn't sits well with potential customers.  For the sake of a few kgs and CO2 emmissions points, I'd rather have a full sized spare wheel well so the flat tyre can go there, even if a space-saver is used.

Offline speedy mazda

• TS2 Class
  • zoooom zooom zoooooooooooooooom
  • Colour: Aluminium Silver (38P) Metallic
  • Year: 2010
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2018, 08:00:30 PM »
Hi all just wondering if anyone has had experienced Prestivo tyres on there car 

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2018, 08:00:30 PM »