Author Topic: Crippled speed limit information on map update  (Read 662 times)

Offline QKJB

• S Class
  • I need to update my signature strip!!!
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic (41V)
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2017
Crippled speed limit information on map update
« on: December 11, 2017, 02:34:40 PM »
Two months ago I bought a Mazda3 Sport Nav 2017. It's a great car to drive and I love it. I particularly liked the traffic sign recognition system which on the maps installed at the time of purchase worked perfectly. Unfortunately the road systems were not up-to-date, eg. the A14 junction with the M6 and M1 when we went off on the wrong road leading to a lengthy detour. I looked for an update via Mazda toolbox and found one issued last September. That certainly resolved the problem at the end of the A14 but now I find the inbuilt speed information has disappeared from the rural roads in my vicinity on the map. They still work on the main roads and some of the roads leading to them but they have disappeared in my village and roads leading to and from it. MMUKassistance seem very confused on the matter. One contact says the maps are no longer produced by Naviextras but by "HERE" although both companies deny it is them who provide them. The local Mazda agent has been very helpful, even to the extent of installing the update on his own car and confirms the same is happening to him. Has anyone else found this is happening and do you know who actually DOES provide the maps and that last update in September? I bought the Live Traffic Updates at the same time and that certainly went via Naviextras.

Offline moozmooz

• TS2 Class
  • Colour: Blue Reflex Mica (42B)
  • Trim: SE L Nav
  • Year: 2016
Re: Crippled speed limit information on map update
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2017, 01:13:22 AM »
I've never bothered with a SatNav before and only have this one as it came with the car, so I've no idea how good or bad it is in relative terms, but in absolute terms, it's bloody awful. New roads I'm on regularly still aren't on the map well over a year on. Madam's navigation skills are somewhat dubious. I frequently set for home just to see where the stupid thing will try to take me, resulting in "route recalculation" after "route recalculation". It doesn't inspire confidence if I wanted it to take me somewhere I didn't know.

The locations of services can be interesting. I've sat outside our local health centre and looked for Health. It gave the nearest as 15 miles away, and the Health Centre's been there for over 40 years.

I read somewhere, possibly on here, that the updates are taken from mapcreator.here.com  which doesn't exactly inspire confidence if true, as any dickhead who signs up to the site can enter changes. It's worthwhile having a look at the site and check an area you know well. I relocated several items where I live - Police Station, Fire Station, Health Centre - to there correct locations.

For £600, you'd expect better.

Offline StevenRB45

• MPS Class
  • Suzuki and Fiat Refugee
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearl (34K) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Trim: TS2 Takuya
  • Year: 2011
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2017, 10:23:59 AM »
At this point I have no idea why they haven't just gone for Apple car play and Android auto support and sacked off nav all together.

Yes it does require a smartphone and a wire but it's in the Citroen and works flawlessly and is always up to date. I'd not buy a gen 3 until it's supported. I'm more likely to just upgrade my Gen 2 stereo and keep it, as it's actually a lot easier to get a stereo to fit a gen 2 that has all the latest DAB e.t.c. than wait for Mazda to get these things to work in a gen 3 which is nigh on impossible to fit an aftermarket HU to.

Offline QKJB

• S Class
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2017, 11:35:59 AM »
Thanks for the replies Guys. The old map worked with speed limits but missed roads. The map update has the roads corrected that I use but has speed limits missing on rural roads. I can't find anyone at Mazda, Naviextras or HERE who can tell who did the latest map let alone who to speak to. As you asay, very disappointing for something so expensive. I don't see why I should drive around correcting map mistakes even if I knew what the limit was on a road I haven't been on before.

Offline QKJB

• S Class
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2017, 02:14:37 PM »
As a matter of curiosity I signed up for and onto HERE Mapcreator and checked the map for my area where the rural speed limits had disappeared on my car Sat Nav. All the speed limits were on the map correctly. This means that the download has been crippled and Mazda are simply unaware of it. They don't appear to check what they "give" to their customers. This is one of my free three year updates. I wonder if the same holds good for the mega expensive one on sale on Mazda Toolbox?

Offline ROBCALLY

• TS Class
  • Colour: Machine Grey (46G)
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2017, 06:27:15 PM »
There is a new update for December 2017 in the toolbox

Offline moozmooz

• TS2 Class
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2017, 04:13:52 PM »
Spent 1.75 hours downloading and 0.75 hours installing the latest update - completed 15 minutes before a power cut. I hate to think of the problems I could have had if it had happened mid install. The installed size is about 200MB smaller than the previous version.

A quick look seems to indicate one of my missing roads has been found, so that's one that hopefully won't cause madam confusion any more. I haven't been out in the car - too much slippery stuff for my liking - so can't comment yet on any change in functionality.

QKJB - I had a look through the card after I'd completed the update and the name of the provider is NAVTEQ. Stupidly, I didn't check before the update, so can't say whether there's been a change.

After the power cut near miss, I was wondering if anybody's made a backup copy of the memory card. I didn't look too deeply, but on a quick inspection, there doesn't look to be anything to stop a card to card copy.

StevenRB45 "At this point I have no idea why they haven't just gone for Apple car play and Android auto support and sacked off nav all together. Yes it does require a smartphone and a wire...."

You've answered your own question. Why install something that would have its functionality limited to supported smartphones? The current system only supports a very limited number of smartphones, so I suspect trying to cover all current, all past to within x years, and pushing updates for all future would be a non starter.

Next install is a dash cam that's been waiting for two weeks. Why don't manufacturers install them as standard? Minimal cost compared to many of the geegaws fitted nowadays and more useful, and, in the case of the Mazda 3, would integrate nicely into the pod.

Offline StevenRB45

• MPS Class
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2017, 08:35:21 PM »

StevenRB45 "At this point I have no idea why they haven't just gone for Apple car play and Android auto support and sacked off nav all together. Yes it does require a smartphone and a wire...."

You've answered your own question. Why install something that would have its functionality limited to supported smartphones? The current system only supports a very limited number of smartphones, so I suspect trying to cover all current, all past to within x years, and pushing updates for all future would be a non starter.

Android Auto is a universal standard like Bluetooth, it will work with all phones that have Android 5 or higher. Android 5 came out in 2014..so basically all smart phones at this point. The phone itself is compatible with Android auto and has the capability the car doesn't need to be specifically compatible with a given phone all the car needs to do is mirror a signal from the phone and display it on the screen. All the processing is done by the phone, all the car does is tell the phone what you've asked it to do and display the result on the screen.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 08:38:12 PM by StevenRB45 »

Offline moozmooz

• TS2 Class
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2017, 12:14:19 AM »
And when your phone can't get a signal?

I can't see the logic of having a system in a car that's dependent on you having the right phone. Not everybody uses or wants to use android.

Offline StevenRB45

• MPS Class
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2017, 06:37:45 AM »
And when your phone can't get a signal?

I can't see the logic of having a system in a car that's dependent on you having the right phone. Not everybody uses or wants to use android.

When "the right phone" is any smartphone from the 3 last years...and is available on pay as you go for less than a 100 quid, the cable is a about a pound I don't see the logic in paying more for a constantly out of date sat nav system. It doesn't have to be Android, Apple car play does the same thing, most units that support one support the other. If you can't get a signal, that's fine, if you wish you can download offline areas while sitting at home on the Wi-Fi. My personal one is from Edinburgh to Manchester but if I wanted the whole UK I could have it..or Europe or America given it works everywhere Google maps is. It updates this offline area everytime the phone goes onto Wi-Fi.

In case you are wondering Citroen also offers a sat nav for 600 quid..it's better than the Mazda one but still usually out of date.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 06:58:52 AM by StevenRB45 »

Offline moozmooz

• TS2 Class
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2017, 01:53:23 AM »
If you think progress is having your smartphone plugged in to your car to get a working sat nav, I'd have to disagree.

The whole point of having a standalone system, whether inbuilt or add on, is it's simplicity. The fact that Mazda, among others, appears to have opted for a system that is cumbersome to update is what's at issue here, not whether it's bang up to date, which is a problem with just about any system you can name. Google maps and Bing maps are no better.

I travel regularly along part of what is described as the UK's biggest current road project, or fiasco if you actually know it. It'll be interesting to see how long it takes for my system to update when it's eventually completed, as I'm frequently driving off road according to madam.

The particular issue with Mazda is that MMUK don't appear to have a clue what they're selling, so can't provide the customer support that you're paying for. There's no excuse for that.

Offline StevenRB45

• MPS Class
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2017, 08:42:22 AM »
Point taken regards plugging a phone in but having used various built in and stand alone sat navs they always have the same issue. The manufacturers interest ends when money changes hands, they'll put some updates out for a few years...longer if you pay them and do the bare minimum. After the car/system is no longer the current model..it may as well not exist.

This is why plugging a phone in is a good idea, your nav is updated overnight while you charge, everytime you upgrade your phone your nav is updated to be faster and more powerful. Also it does the basics right, so I can press a button on the steering wheel and say "navigate to sr7 9la" and it will..or '3 station road Sunderland" and it can decode that as well. You can tell it "navigate to nearest shell garage" and it can..and there's decent chance it won't have closed 5 years ago as it's linked to Google's business listings. Tbf I could also tell it what music I want it to play  to text/call someone and that works as well.

Maybe something like Vauxhalls on star with its 4g connection would be better updated but the problems you are having are ones have followed built in Sat navs around for a long time.

Offline moozmooz

• TS2 Class
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2017, 12:04:35 PM »
The inherent problem with all mapping systems is updating and I'm unclear, as I imagine most of the population is, as to how road completion/opening is communicated to/picked up by the various mapping services. I know of a new bridge and associated roads that took over 18 months to appear on mapping systems. So updates are always going to be behind.

I, along with my 2005 3, was google mapped a couple of years ago while parked in a local hotel car park. Two hundred yards away, I can go along a street which starts off the same vintage as my capture, then changes to something around 5 years older. Bizarre.

As to continually "upgrading" (sales speak if ever I heard it), as someone who is not fused to their phone by the thumbs, and who uses it almost exclusively as a phone, there's little prospect of me, and an ever increasing number of people, changing my phone unless I either have to, or see a major benefit.

Bluetooth's fine for answering, or more usually not answering, a call when I'm driving. As for the rest of the whistles and bells, most are more of a distraction than a benefit, and continue to be a major contribution to careless driving. If you're driving, drive.

Offline gknight9

• Takara Class
  • Body: Saloon
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Year: 2014
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2017, 12:28:12 PM »
I've spoken previously to Mazda regarding the poor sat-nav software. Their response was "it's the same as in a Mercedes", I cannot see a Merc driver putting up with the poor service.

Offline moozmooz

• TS2 Class
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2017, 01:17:23 PM »
Whether it's the same as a Mercedes or not is irrelevant. It's the fact that MMUK don't appear to know what they're selling that's worrying.

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2017, 01:17:23 PM »