Author Topic: Where to buy oem or original parts?  (Read 2619 times)

Offline xpeterpx

• S Class
  • I need to update my signature strip!!!
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Titanium Grey II (29Y) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2006
Where to buy oem or original parts?
« on: February 08, 2018, 07:48:48 AM »
Hi all
Where do you guys shop for your parts. Online would be best for me so any suggestions to reputable providers is appreciated.
Thank you

Offline moozmooz

• Sports Class
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Blue Reflex Mica (42B)
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Trim: SE L Nav
  • Year: 2016
Re: Where to buy oem or original parts?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2018, 12:23:47 PM »
Eurocarparts or carparts4less for things like wiper blades or filters are as good as any. As usual, if buying online you need to be watchful for dodgy sellers selling counterfeit items. That said, some stores/garages are probably selling/fitting parts they bought from the same dodgy sellers. 

Offline Engineer Andy

• TS2 Class
  • Smoke me a kipper - I'll be back for breakfast!
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: Sunlight Silver (22V) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2005
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2018, 02:04:41 PM »
One thing to note, particularly for owners (like me) of mk1 Mazda3s is that certain OEM spare parts are apparently NO LONGER produced by (or at least for) Mazda any more.  When I was at my local dealership ordering my new alloys and discussing the heavy steering issue and other things, I asked them (as I'm going down a size on the alloys and getting higher profile tyres, partially to give a more comfortable ride) how much for changing the shocks and springs.

The guy from parts there said they no longer make the OEM shocks/springs for the mk1, so I'd have to source an appropriate set of aftermarket ones.  Sometimes, like 'standard' pattern parts, e.g. when I had my car's clutch changed, a (presumably decent quality) Bosch equivalent was available, but only a few £s cheaper than the Mazda part, which may still be produced as it might be identical to that for the mk2, given the similarity of the engines.  He did say if I did do this (whether I had the shocks etc fitted there or at an indie), I would need to make sure that they were the exact same size and specs, as many are only for those who want their car lowered and thus are not the same size.

Sometime the 'pattern' parts, especially those that are 'new' equipment, such as ICE, that never were previously offered by Mazda, seem actually quite good.  I've seen (from the US) large touchscreen ICE systems with slot DVD/CD players and Phone/iPod/Sat nav functions available on Amazon etc.  Small items such as roof bar clips for £2 on Ebay, though these are Chinese and I'm not sure about the quality, even if they are basic parts.

Unless its a known quality make, I'd always do a lot of research before committing to buying the more expensive items, especially those that could potentially ruin other parts if they are of poor engineering quality and/or are fakes/dangerous and aren't actually up to CE standards (even if they 'say' they are).  Fake parts are rapidly becoming a major problem in this industry.

Note also that Mazda are not obliged to make/stock parts for cars that have been out of production for over 10 years, which is why I was surprised a bit about the shocks, given the mk1 went out of production in 2009, so, in theory, all parts should be available until about this time next year.  Still, that's not very far away.  That's why I was hoping that they would've dropped the price of the OEM (and maybe all those that only fit mk1s) alloy wheels for the mk1.  They admitted they sell very few replacement alloys for mk1s anyway, so what are they going to do with their remaining stocks?  Better to sell them (at any price) that pay for storage for items they can't sell and/or bin them.

Some enterprising firms (e.g. Boots the Chemist) do this with some 'end-of-line' products, selling them in bulk to an online reseller, who shift them very quickly for a small profit.  Motorpoint is another good example of taking hard-to-sell stock from manufacturers and flogging them cheaply and quickly with no fuss.  I bought my car from them, brand new (15 miles on the clock) - an unused rental car from Cyprus I think (all that needed doing is changing the speedo dial to the mph version and radio settings to the UK, done before sale to make it UK legal [it already had its EU CoC certificate]) for a discount in excess of 25%, far more than the brokers could manage at the time (or today for the equivalent mk3).  They were doing the same for (new RHD) VW Golfs from RHD EU countries last year, with 1.4TSi (150hp) GT 5dr models (with climate control, not on the UK spec as standard) for £17k, £7 - £8k off the list price.

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2018, 02:04:41 PM »