Author Topic: Should I get a Mazda 3?  (Read 1223 times)

Offline Chrispt77

• S Class
  • I need to update my signature strip!!!
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Eternal Blue (45B)
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: SE L Nav
  • Year: 2017
Should I get a Mazda 3?
« on: February 06, 2018, 08:51:21 PM »
Hi guys, just new to this forum so please go easy on me. I’ve been considering buying a gen 3 Mazda 3 recently and almost bought a 2.2L 150 SE-L SKYACTIV diesel 2017 with 5500 miles on clock, however I pulled out of the deal after reading poor reviews about that particular engine regarding DPF not regenerating properly and fuel getting into the sump and contaminating the engine oil resulting in premature oil changes and possible engine damage.
I still really like the car but I’m now considering the 2.0L SE-L 120 petrol, can any one offer any valuable advice on what to get.
I currently have a Hyundai i30 1.6 crdi and have never had any DPF issues, my journeys are mixed rural and odd motorway trip.
If anyone has either of the cars I’ve mentioned would you recommend them, thanks.

Offline Tall333

• TS2 Class
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic (41V)
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2015
Re: Should I get a Mazda 3?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 08:05:46 AM »
What's your annual mileage?

We have a 2.0 petrol auto Mazda 3 which gives has reaonable power but pretty good mpg.

Offline bobmax

• TS2 Class
  • Colour: Deep Crystal Blue Metallic (42M)
  • Year: 2014
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 11:31:24 AM »
Hi guys, just new to this forum so please go easy on me. I’ve been considering buying a gen 3 Mazda 3 recently and almost bought a 2.2L 150 SE-L SKYACTIV diesel 2017 with 5500 miles on clock, however I pulled out of the deal after reading poor reviews about that particular engine regarding DPF not regenerating properly and fuel getting into the sump and contaminating the engine oil resulting in premature oil changes and possible engine damage.
I still really like the car but I’m now considering the 2.0L SE-L 120 petrol, can any one offer any valuable advice on what to get.
I currently have a Hyundai i30 1.6 crdi and have never had any DPF issues, my journeys are mixed rural and odd motorway trip.
If anyone has either of the cars I’ve mentioned would you recommend them, thanks.

The DPF problem is one of the reasons I got rid of my Volvo XC60 Diesel, and the running cost's i might add.
I went for the 2.0 petrol Mazda 3. It's 3 years old now, and so far haven't regretted it.
Lovely motor, and better fuel economy than I expected, plus a good amount of boy's toys  ;) :D
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 11:34:36 AM by bobmax »
Familiarity breeds contempt - and children

Offline cwilliams255

• Sports Class
  • Colour: Velocity Red (27A) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2009
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2018, 02:16:50 PM »
I have a 2009 2.2D with 131000 miles. I'd expect the skyactiv engine's DPF to be similar enough to mine to make a comparison. I've owned the car from 4k and DPF has not yet caused an issue. My main day-2-day journey consists of 5 miles each way across a large city with a max speed of 40mph for about 2 seconds, the rest of the time its slow - 40mins usually for 5 miles. Car gets 200 mile journey maybe once per month and a half. I would say though that it does get full throttle from time to time and that's something my garage are an advocate of when it comes to DPF problems. I also do oil changes at half the mazda interval to make the DPF oil issue less of a thing. For the first 4 years of its life it did 80 miles daily trip and followed Mazda dealer service schedule. Never had a mechanical issue that wasn't my fault (its only had one after I waded through some very deep water). I will probably buy another Mazda when this one dies or reaches 200k, whichever happens first

Offline bobmax

• TS2 Class
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2018, 02:54:03 PM »
I have a 2009 2.2D with 131000 miles. I'd expect the skyactiv engine's DPF to be similar enough to mine to make a comparison. I've owned the car from 4k and DPF has not yet caused an issue. My main day-2-day journey consists of 5 miles each way across a large city with a max speed of 40mph for about 2 seconds, the rest of the time its slow - 40mins usually for 5 miles. Car gets 200 mile journey maybe once per month and a half. I would say though that it does get full throttle from time to time and that's something my garage are an advocate of when it comes to DPF problems. I also do oil changes at half the mazda interval to make the DPF oil issue less of a thing. For the first 4 years of its life it did 80 miles daily trip and followed Mazda dealer service schedule. Never had a mechanical issue that wasn't my fault (its only had one after I waded through some very deep water). I will probably buy another Mazda when this one dies or reaches 200k, whichever happens first

Yes you're doing the correct thing in going about 60MPH once a month.
It sure will reduce the problem of oil overspill into the sump.  ;)

« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 04:49:28 PM by Willpower »

Offline bobmax

• TS2 Class
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2018, 02:56:18 PM »
not sure why my post to the last one is in the quote column? :-\

Sorted  ;D ;D
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 04:49:52 PM by Willpower »