Author Topic: Mazda Recalls  (Read 3104 times)

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Super Ultimate Class
  • East Anglia Mountain Rescue Team
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: Winning Blue (27B) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2004
Mazda Recalls
« on: February 24, 2017, 09:35:40 PM »
It has been reported that there are two new Mazda recalls in the offing that might affect our UK models. Currently I can find nothing specifically mentioning UK models, or anything in any reputable news media, but this is posted to make you aware of the situation

1. Mazda New Zealand has issued a recall after a global problem with a seat part.
The cars affected are the Mazda 2,3 and 6 models, as well as used vehicles imported from Japan that were purchased between September 2007 and March 2012.
The company said a problem had been identified with the seat adjustment lever and in some cases it could break off.

Acknowledgement to mart_haj1986  who first reported this  http://www.mazda3forums.co.uk/index.php?topic=14472.0

2. From Tokyo Mazda has said it is recalling 460,000  Mazda 3 Mazda 6  and Mazda CX-5  cars globally to fix multiple defects in their diesel engines including a problem that could lead to engines stalling. The cars subject to the recalls were produced between February 2012 and February 2nd 2017. No fire or injury has been reported from the defect. 
Of the total 170,000 cars were sold in Japan and the rest globally.

At the moment there is no indication of which cc /HP engines are involved.

As these two recalls were only issued yesterday it is unlikely at this time that any dealer will have any information about this. So be aware that if you have one of the cars affected by either of these recalls, you could soon be receiving a letter from Mazda
Look at life through the windscreen, not the rearview mirror.
2004 Winning Blue 2Ltr Sport Saloon.  Laser Blue Main beams.

Offline StevenRB45

• MPS Class
  • Suzuki and Fiat Refugee
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearl (34K) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Trim: TS2 Takuya
  • Year: 2011
Re: Mazda Recalls
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 10:33:13 PM »
Someone did post that their 2.2 skyactivs had been recalled for a safety critical dpf issue in the last week or so. Could be the stalling issue if that is the case.

I can't find the thread ATM but was in the last few weeks.

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Super Ultimate Class
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 11:00:14 PM »
This one ??

We were contacted by our dealer about a week or so ago, regarding a software recall for an update to the DPF system on our 3’s. Unfortunately it was not convenient to drop the cars in as we both work a distance from the dealer, and the service department is not open on a Saturday.

Today we get phones calls from the dealer that the updates were still outstanding, and Mazda was pushing the dealer for the updates to be applied, as this was a “serious safety issue”.

We have not had any letters or notifications direct from Mazda, and we’re just a little concerned regarding the urgency for the updates to be applied, as the vehicles are just over 2 years old, and don’t want to be left with any ‘damage’ after the warranty expires.

Has anybody else had this? - Any ideas? Nothing is listed (as yet) on the DLVA recall database, and nothing coming up on a google search. One of our 3's has been updated today the other will be done at the end of the week.

I've had some feedback from a member of our sister CX-5 site who lives in Germany. He says  that this recall heads up has been reported there as well.  There was some discussion that the fault(s) appear to lay in the area of the valves and injectors. which could account for the stalling aspect.

Offline StevenRB45

• MPS Class
  • Suzuki and Fiat Refugee
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearl (34K) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Trim: TS2 Takuya
  • Year: 2011
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2017, 07:46:15 AM »
That's the one I was thinking of.

Offline gknight9

• TS2 Class
  • I need to update my signature strip!!!
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic (41V)
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Year: 2014
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2017, 08:09:09 AM »
That's the one I was thinking of.

My post as our 2 x 3's were recalled.

Thanks Willpower - do you a link to the article at all? Our's were call in for software updates to address a "serious safety issue” (as advised by the dealer - nothing received from Mazda), the wording you have posted seems to imply mechanical? "fix multiple defects in their diesel engines including a problem that could lead to engines stalling."

Found: -
http://www.businesstimes.com.sg/transport/mazda-to-recall-460000-cars-globally-for-diesel-engine-defects

« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 08:37:44 AM by gknight9 »

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Super Ultimate Class
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2017, 10:16:05 AM »
That is one of the sources that I found.  However I am sceptical of the validity of the reporting in the Business Times article, so I didn't link it. 

As I said above
Currently I can find nothing specifically mentioning UK models, or anything in any reputable news media.............

I was waiting until I found something in either a UK newspaper or a motoring magazine.

I do however think that we are talking something entirely different to a DPF problem. 

UPDATE :  From our man in Germany
 Mazda in Leverkusen (Germany) received notification on the 24th with this in turn being passed on to the KBA (Kraftfahrt-Bundesamt) who will access the information and  inform those vehicle owners affected. I would imagine that something along the same sequence of events would happen in the UK so it might be a while yet before dealers are actually informed of what action they are required to take.

As you can see by the date, this is live information.  Any further details I receive will be added as soon as I get and verify them.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 11:22:37 AM by Willpower »

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Super Ultimate Class
Re: MAZDA DIESEL Recall
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2017, 05:03:19 PM »
The latest information available  http://www2.mazda.co.jp/service/recall/705/708/709/717/716/704/105/103/004680.html     

It is possible to translate this to the following.   This is applicable only to Diesel engined variants

1. Injectors not tight enough. As a result the contact pressure with the injector seal will decrease, as a result the combustion gas blows through the cylinder head and the engine oil is carbonised.
    This carbonised engine oil clogs the oil strainer the warning light turns on due to the low oil pressure. If the engine continues to be used as it is the engine could seize.

2. The maintenance procedure does not call for inspection of the fuel return hose it is possible that there could be deterioration of the sealing performance of the hose and cracking inside the hose.
     Continued use could result in a fuel leak.

3. Due to either of the above, the engine control during deceleration is inappropriate causing the pressure in the cylinder to decrease causing the closing force of the intake valve to also decrease.
    As a result soot is caught between the intake valve and the valve seat resulting in poor compression, instability of the engine rotation and in the worst case an engine stall might occur.

4. Countermeasures against noise due to the voltage change of the injector control circuit are inappropriate, so current exceeding the allowable current may flow in this circuit.
    Therefore if the circuit   is damaged and a short circuit occurs, the fuse will blow. The fuel injection will stop and the engine will stall.

5. Since the over speed control is inappropriate, the oil contained in the blow by gas in the intake path, burns in the combustion chamber and the engine rotation may rise when the accelerator is fully
     opened. Therefore lubrication of the engine is insufficient and in the worst case seizure may occur, causing damage to the engine.

Remedial actions

1. Re-tighten all injector mounting nuts. Also check the hydraulic pressure.  If abnormality is confirmed , clean the interior of the engine, replace the oil strainer and engine oil.

2. Replace the fuel return hose with improved item.

3. Correct all vehicles and control programmes to countermeasure  programmes.

4. Correct all vehicles and control programmes to countermeasure  programmes

5. Correct all vehicles and control programmes to countermeasure  programmes

« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 11:13:30 AM by Willpower »

Offline Aphex 140

• Sports Class
  • Body: Fastback
  • Colour: Black Mica (16W) Metallic
  • Year: 2017
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2018, 11:27:20 AM »
Mazda 2 just had recall due to substandard parts in the handbrake !  Slightly worrying for owners !
Computers allow us to make more mistakes at a faster rate than any other man-made thing, with the exception of handguns and tequila

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Super Ultimate Class
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2018, 11:48:29 AM »
Mazda 2 just had recall due to substandard parts in the handbrake !  Slightly worrying for owners !

Just to clarify on this, It applies to 2016  models

https://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/searches/expand.asp?uniqueID=1F9CC16A5E782DC7802582130034D362&freeText=Blank&tx=

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2018, 11:48:29 AM »