Author Topic: Long brake pedal travel 2015 Mazda 3  (Read 237 times)

Offline Tall333

• Takara Class
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic (41V)
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Trim: SE L Nav
  • Year: 2015
Long brake pedal travel 2015 Mazda 3
« on: July 09, 2017, 05:15:06 PM »
Hi,
I've noticed the brake pedal travel on my OH's Mazda 3 seems excessive.  The brakes work just fine, but there's about 50-60mm of travel before the pedal does anything, then when it works it's quite 'sharp'.  I can jump into just about any vehicle and quickly adjust to it's specific feel, but this one catches me out - if I need to brake quickly I find it very much either on or off, not much of a gradual feel.  The pedal firms up to a much higher 'bite point' if pressed just once with the engine off.  Can anyone confirm if their's is the same please?

It's a 2015 Mazda 3 SE-L 2.0 saloon auto with 11k miles, and we've owned it since new, it was last serviced Sep 2016.  The dealer says it's fine when it was in for a different issue just last week - I'm not so sure.

Offline moozmooz

• TS2 Class
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Blue Reflex Mica (42B)
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2016
Re: Long brake pedal travel 2015 Mazda 3
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2017, 08:32:00 PM »
The higher pedal with engine off is pretty normal with a servo. The lack of progression from gentle to firm braking with engine/servo on isn't. At 11000 miles, I wouldn't expect heavy wear on your discs/pads, but what could give similar braking is glazed pads, usually caused by dragging the brakes. You could also check that the calipers are moving properly and that the pads are sitting correctly - give them a poke and see if they rattle - as you could get long travel then sharp braking if the pads are sitting too far off the disc

And remember to always take what a dealer says with a large pinch of salt. I had a Primera nearly 30 years ago that came back from service with all the ticks and huge estimated remaining pad life based on remaining thickness. In less than a month I had to replace both sets after suffering seized calipers.

And, of course, brakes aren't included in a normal Mazda service.

Offline hanix

• S Class
  • I need to update my signature strip!!!
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2014
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 07:18:12 AM »
HI. My 2014 Sport is the same, but if you apply the brake gently you get a soft stop, whereas if you apply the brake quickly the effect is much harder braking, it is as if the pedal is velocity sensitive. Mine has always been like it and I am now quite used to it. My brakes are in excellent condition by the way.

Offline StevenRB45

• MPS Class
  • Suzuki and Fiat Refugee
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearl (34K) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Trim: TS2 Takuya
  • Year: 2011
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 08:22:33 AM »
HI. My 2014 Sport is the same, but if you apply the brake gently you get a soft stop, whereas if you apply the brake quickly the effect is much harder braking, it is as if the pedal is velocity sensitive. Mine has always been like it and I am now quite used to it. My brakes are in excellent condition by the way.

That just sounds like you are occasionally activating the EBA. If you apply the brake pedal sharply the car assumes it's an emergency stop and if it judges the force you've applied to be lacking adds more.

Offline Tall333

• Takara Class
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2017, 09:41:07 AM »
Thanks for the replies guys.  Maybe you're on to something with the EBA or the velocity sensitivity thing - but I wouldn't say I'm pressing hard/fast enough for the car to think it's an emergency, plus both my previous 2015 Mazda 6 and my current 2014 CX-5 have a much more 'normal' brake feel and don't catch me out like the 3 does.  Good to know there's at least somebody else out there with the same feeling tho - perhaps it's normal right enough?

There's no rattle or anything present, but I think I'll take the fronts off and have a look - maybe I'll find a sticky slider pin or something.

Thanks again :)

Offline StevenRB45

• MPS Class
  • Suzuki and Fiat Refugee
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearl (34K) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Trim: TS2 Takuya
  • Year: 2011
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 10:56:14 AM »
My reply was specifically for the post I'd quoted. The EBA doesn't change the travel of the pedal it simply boosts the force applied when you sharply press the pedal.

It does sound like what you have is what I had when I got my car, it used to have a squish before biting but that was simply because the front discs and pads were worn. They got changed and it's now fine.

Moozmooz may be on to something with glazed pads. It's due a fluid change and bleed at the next service (if the mk3 still has a 2 year schedule). There is a possibility that could help if there's any air in the system. But in all honesty on a car this new unless it was done wrong day 1 that's unlikely.

Offline Tall333

• Takara Class
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2017, 01:31:22 PM »
Thanks for the further reply :)
I don't think the pads should have glazed, given their daily stop/start commute and their regular longer runs - but I'll deffo check it out.
I don't think the brake fluid will have absorbed much moisture over the 1.5 years either - it doesn't get driven 'sporty' much, so it also shouldn't be heating up drastically.  There's no evidence of air in the system either since the pedal firms up easily with the engine off.
There isn't really a squishy feeling before the bite - more like nothing then everything if you get what I mean.
Thanks again :)

Offline moozmooz

• TS2 Class
  • Colour: Blue Reflex Mica (42B)
  • Year: 2016
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2017, 03:03:52 PM »
I was paying particular attention to my braking driving into town this morning. The pre feel travel on mine is around 30mm, but braking is progressive as pressure goes on - no sudden snatch. I've only done 1600 miles since I got the car last November, so the brakes haven't really had a chance to get bedded in properly.
I wouldn't worry about the hydraulic side. Symptoms don't match.
Ironically, glazing is much more likely in stop start driving when the pads get polished more than rubbed, for want of a better expression. The occasional bit of hard breaking does pads and discs the world of good.
I doubt if EBA is the problem unless it's over sensitive. It shouldn't activate unless you stand on the pedal, and you'd be aware of that. What you're describing sounds like the sort of braking I get when, on the very few occasions I've driven an automatic, I've decided that my left foot's going to feel left out with nothing to do, so use it on the brakes. Bad idea!

Offline Tall333

• Takara Class
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2017, 03:10:40 PM »
Thanks for the measurement mate, that sounds more like what I think ours should be.  If it wasn't raining I'd probably have a look his afternoon when the car returns from work - it'll probably have to wait for now :(

Offline hanix

• S Class
  • I need to update my signature strip!!!
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2014
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2017, 04:06:24 PM »
For what it's worth, a borrowed 2016 Fiesta behaved in exactly the same way.

Offline Tall333

• Takara Class
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2017, 07:11:54 PM »
Grabbed a quick hour before the rain came back on and stripped the fronts down.  No problem found - discs ok and both sides evenly shiny, pads ok and evenly worn (about 6-7mm left), sliders well greased and working, piston clean, retaining clips all good.  I'll do the same with the rears but it won't be tonight.  Will report back in due course.

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2017, 07:11:54 PM »