Author Topic: SatNav woes  (Read 4910 times)

Offline peroni

• S Class
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Aluminium Silver (38P) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2016
Re: SatNav woes
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2016, 01:34:48 PM »
@peroni definitely not a smooth and certain fix. I pootle along as is, no problems with bluetooth and that's more relevant for me. Would be good to be able to connect via wifi for updates and live traffic but not a killer. Still as I was...

So on the assumption you're not using the connected services stuff to get live travel that way, are you receiving the TMC traffic updates listing of roadworks etc on the satnav ? I don't mean the radio TA, I mean the actual written list of troublespots withing the satnav section ?

Offline yarb

• Takara Class
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic (41V)
  • Year: 2014
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2016, 03:33:27 PM »
@peroni definitely not a smooth and certain fix. I pootle along as is, no problems with bluetooth and that's more relevant for me. Would be good to be able to connect via wifi for updates and live traffic but not a killer. Still as I was...

So on the assumption you're not using the connected services stuff to get live travel that way, are you receiving the TMC traffic updates listing of roadworks etc on the satnav ? I don't mean the radio TA, I mean the actual written list of troublespots withing the satnav section ?

From what I understand you need to purchase the traffic updates through the toolbox used for updating the maps once your free trial has finished. When you have these whether free or purchased you have to make you phone a Wi-Fi hot spot and connect to it via Wi-Fi which is what I done with the free trial.  when I first got the car new in 2014 the satnav showed traffic problems free until I had the first service and an upgrade to the software, remember a posting on here about Mazda not paying for the licence.
Counting down the weeks to retirement  :)

Offline peroni

• S Class
  • Colour: Aluminium Silver (38P) Metallic
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2016, 11:10:56 AM »

From what I understand you need to purchase the traffic updates through the toolbox used for updating the maps once your free trial has finished. When you have these whether free or purchased you have to make you phone a Wi-Fi hot spot and connect to it via Wi-Fi which is what I done with the free trial.  when I first got the car new in 2014 the satnav showed traffic problems free until I had the first service and an upgrade to the software, remember a posting on here about Mazda not paying for the licence.

I was sure that I was getting traffic events prior to utilizing the free connectivity period. During that trial, using wifi, enhanced the number of events listed. But I guess you are saying, the only way to get traffic events, is via the connectivity option and requires a subscription by me to mazda ?

Offline yarb

• Takara Class
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2016, 11:38:05 AM »

I was sure that I was getting traffic events prior to utilizing the free connectivity period. During that trial, using wifi, enhanced the number of events listed. But I guess you are saying, the only way to get traffic events, is via the connectivity option and requires a subscription by me to mazda ?

Yep that's the way I understand it, on the pre updated MZD-Connect software it only showed traffic from what I remember but the free trial also included weather and fuel prices, Mazda wants your cash, not sure how much it is you need to look in the Mazda toolbox on your pc but I think its about £80 for 3 years
Counting down the weeks to retirement  :)

Offline 9swampy

• Sports Class
  • I don't need to update my signature strip!!!
    • Jinba Ittai
  • Colour: Jet Black Mica (41W)
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2015
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2016, 11:02:46 PM »
As yarb's already been saying I get no updates without being able to work the wifi hotspot so Mazda gets no more money from me (for this bit anyhow). Not that bothered... still got my eye on an RF O0 but that's a pipe dream  :-\

Offline Badger161

• TS Class
  • Colour: Blue Reflex Mica (42B)
  • Year: 2017
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2016, 09:09:51 PM »
Finding problems with my new car Satnav and certainly not at all satisfactory at present.

I cannot search for an address using a postcode. Anyone had similar problems or can suggest an answer please.

Mazda seem to be falling down and in this day and age of technolegy it's a very poor show.
Malcolm
Retired but having fun with my hobby at  www.badgerwoodcrafter.co.uk

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Super Ultimate Class
  • East Anglia Mountain Rescue Team
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: Winning Blue (27B) Metallic
  • Year: 2004
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2016, 08:18:32 PM »
SATNAV UPDATE

Not happy that I could not search address with post code. Mazda just sent this update

https://mazda-eu.naviextras.com/shop/portal?live.ui.locale.code=en

Malcolm

Look at life through the windscreen, not the rearview mirror.
2004 Winning Blue 2Ltr Sport Saloon.  Laser Blue Main beams.

Offline RichardC

• Takara Class
  • I need to update my signature strip!!!
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2016, 06:27:35 PM »
I have found a trick that works but I don't know why. Enter the postcode and then click on 'Select Town Centre and off you go.
Sunbeam Talbot 90
Sunbeam Rapier
Hillman Avenger GT
MGBGT
Hillman Hunter
Triumph 2.5PI
Cavalier S Reg
Sierra A Reg
Sierra F Reg
Cavalier H Reg
Cavalier M Reg
Vectra P Reg
Subaru Impreza Turbo W Reg
Mercedes SLK 230 51 Reg
Mercedes C180K 07Reg
Mercedes C180K 59 Reg
Mercedes C180 CGI 61 Reg

Offline Dabbs

• S Class
  • I need to update my signature strip!!!
  • Body: Fastback
  • Colour: Blue Reflex Mica (42B)
  • Trim: SE L Nav
Sat Nav update
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2017, 07:20:45 PM »
I have a Mazda 3 2015 model SE-L Nav and have had problems updating the sat nav SD card.  I downloaded Mazda Toolkit onto both my laptop and my desktop.  Neither PC would recognise the SD card.  I went to my dealer who tried the SD card in ALL the dealers computers, but with no joy.  Eventually the technician tried it on his Apple Mac at home and it worked!  Has anyone else had this problem and more importantly, what are Mazda doing about it?

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Super Ultimate Class
  • East Anglia Mountain Rescue Team
  • Colour: Winning Blue (27B) Metallic
  • Year: 2004
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2017, 08:24:07 PM »
I have a Mazda 3 2015 model SE-L Nav and have had problems updating the sat nav SD card.  I downloaded Mazda Toolkit onto both my laptop and my desktop.  Neither PC would recognise the SD card.  I went to my dealer who tried the SD card in ALL the dealers computers, but with no joy.  Eventually the technician tried it on his Apple Mac at home and it worked!  Has anyone else had this problem and more importantly, what are Mazda doing about it?

There are many, many posting relating to your problems. I have moved your posting here to a more appropriate area and suggest that you take some time looking through the relevant postings in this dedicated area for Sat Nav problems. There may well be some answers to your problems.
Look at life through the windscreen, not the rearview mirror.
2004 Winning Blue 2Ltr Sport Saloon.  Laser Blue Main beams.

Offline finallycruising

• S Class
  • Colour: Snowflake White Pearl (25D)
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2017, 02:11:52 PM »
Having replaced my 2011 Sport Nav with a 2016 Sport Nav, I was hoping all the Sat Nav problems would be solved. However, it seems not. While the 2011 Sat Nav was an order of magnitude worse - in particular, it would get 'lost' when driving down new roads not on the old maps and would subsequently need to be manually set to its actual location - the new Sat Nav won't let me enter the second part of my home postcode (I need to enter a 6 and it isn't presented as a valid option, it is defaulting to 4) and, if I enter my road name, it only allows the odd numbered houses in the road to be set! I have done the latest update.

I've had a separate Garmin Satnav for some years and they have a web feedback page to report errors. Willpower, in another thread, says the Mazda system is possibly Navteq. I've had a quick look at their site and can't see a way of providing such feedback to them.

Offline finallycruising

• S Class
  • Colour: Snowflake White Pearl (25D)
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2017, 06:58:08 PM »
Following up on my own post here.

The posting about it being essential to enter the space in the postcode saved an awful lot of frustration. I can't think why this is necessary as no other system I've used has required this and there's nothing on-screen to guide you. Sorry I can't relocate the original posting at the moment to give the original poster credit.

This didn't solve the issue regarding only odd house numbers being valid in my street. The General FAQ on the the Mazda Sat Nav updates site says the maps are based upon HERE maps. These appear to be open source publicly editable maps and the Mazda site provides a link to edit data on the site at http://mapcreator.here.com/

I've provided updates for my area by numbering the houses in my road and the surrounding roads. It'll be interesting to see if I can find my house once the next Mazda update is available. I read somewhere that these were due every 6 months but the most recent on offer appears to be December 2016.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 07:00:30 PM by finallycruising »

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2017, 06:58:08 PM »