Author Topic: Mazda CX3  (Read 3936 times)

Offline keith h

• TS2 Class
  • retired marine chief engineer. fitter/turner trade
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearl (34K) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2010
Mazda CX3
« on: November 26, 2014, 04:29:42 PM »
Hi all. Just seen this on the front of the Auto express. Its an SUV to compete with the Nissan Juke etc. A lot of Mazda in the cabin but all in all not a bad looking car.
regards keith h

Offline speedy mazda

• TS2 Class
  • zoooom zooom zoooooooooooooooom
  • Colour: Aluminium Silver (38P) Metallic
  • Trim: Sport
Re: Mazda CX3
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 05:43:44 PM »
wow just had a look at the new cx3 must say im likeing it.

Offline keith h

• TS2 Class
  • retired marine chief engineer. fitter/turner trade
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearl (34K) Metallic
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2014, 10:14:40 AM »
Hi Speedy. yes, quite a nice looking SUV, however the waistline seems quite high at the back and there looks to be a large obstructive area, it could make reversing during parking etc a bit of a hazard.
I am looking forward to seeing it in the showrooms next year.
regards keith h

Offline speedy mazda

• TS2 Class
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2014, 04:45:46 PM »
Perhaps all the new models will have a reversing camera .i thought the cream looking leather seats with the touch red black on the doors looked nice.it will be cheaper than cx5 but will still have the 4x,4
Touch.

Offline RichardC

• Takara Class
  • I need to update my signature strip!!!
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic (41V)
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2014
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2014, 07:48:42 PM »
Hi,
I agree the CX3 looks the business. I wouldn't worry about reversing as general opinion is that the new Maxda3 is difficult to reverse but I find completely the opposite. The parking sensors coupled to a superb display make it the easiest car I have ever reversed. I have no doubt this facility will be available on the CX3.
Sunbeam Talbot 90
Sunbeam Rapier
Hillman Avenger GT
MGBGT
Hillman Hunter
Triumph 2.5PI
Cavalier S Reg
Sierra A Reg
Sierra F Reg
Cavalier H Reg
Cavalier M Reg
Vectra P Reg
Subaru Impreza Turbo W Reg
Mercedes SLK 230 51 Reg
Mercedes C180K 07Reg
Mercedes C180K 59 Reg
Mercedes C180 CGI 61 Reg

Offline speedy mazda

• TS2 Class
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2015, 10:42:59 PM »
anyone sat on the cx3 yet think our dealers wrights have one next Tuesday to sit in look at

Offline rmvf

• TS2 Class
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2015, 05:47:37 PM »
yep went to see it last Saturday, basically its just a 3  but higher, nice trick with split boot, also like sport nav having reverse camera, dashboard is better/looks nicer.

Offline Engineer Andy

• TS Class
  • Smoke me a kipper - I'll be back for breakfast!
  • Colour: Sunlight Silver (22V) Metallic
  • Year: 2005
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2017, 11:17:00 AM »
yep went to see it last Saturday, basically its just a 3  but higher, nice trick with split boot, also like sport nav having reverse camera, dashboard is better/looks nicer.

One thing I find odd is why the CX-3 is offered at such a high list price and very few, if any, offers/discounts, even as second hand, often being priced higher than the 3 (£200 more for a smaller car than with the same engine and trim level [weirdly except in auto form] is slower to 60mph).  As many reviewers have said, the list price is about £2-3k over what it should be and appears to have been lined up to compete against (perceived to be) upmarked German offerings and (larger) Honda HR-V, rather than the Nissan Juke and the like.  This would be fine if they were selling like hot ackes, but since they been on sale, I only seen a handful, including only one in my area, which has a good number of Mazda dealerships.

A shame if prices stay (artifically in my view) high, as it looks to be a good car in most other respects and would be on my list with the 3 if it weren't so overpriced (even if private [resale] values are higher, which I'm not sure they are, this doesn't matter to long-term owners like myself, when the car would be worth just a few hundred £ when selling).  Its not as though Mazda (despite having a very well regarded range at the moment) have been selling oodles of cars of late - Mazda are well below the average increase in car sales this past year and still at only 1.7% of the UK market, despite other manufacturers having poor years (e.g. VW) or having less well-regarded car line-ups.  It seems the pricing and marketing depts have not yet got things right yet, and by all accounts (as far as I can tell), Mazda still has problems with variable dealership and diesel engine quality.

Offline RichardC

• Takara Class
  • I need to update my signature strip!!!
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2017, 03:02:29 PM »
Unfortunately the CX-3 in SportNav mode has a larger Bose speaker system than other models which deceases the boot size enormously making it next to useless. I researched the small SUV market in some detail and in the end the Peugeot 2008 won the day. This due to various factors, GT Line with Active City Brake for well under £20K. For this you get everything the CX-3 has plus spare wheel, glass roof, super 3 pot 110bhp petrol engine with autobox, £20 road tax, auto folding door mirrors and quoted 58mpg in practice probably nearer 48mpg. The Mazda has the edge on some minor issues but the Peugeot is superb.
Sunbeam Talbot 90
Sunbeam Rapier
Hillman Avenger GT
MGBGT
Hillman Hunter
Triumph 2.5PI
Cavalier S Reg
Sierra A Reg
Sierra F Reg
Cavalier H Reg
Cavalier M Reg
Vectra P Reg
Subaru Impreza Turbo W Reg
Mercedes SLK 230 51 Reg
Mercedes C180K 07Reg
Mercedes C180K 59 Reg
Mercedes C180 CGI 61 Reg

Offline Engineer Andy

• TS Class
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2017, 03:18:18 PM »
Unfortunately the CX-3 in SportNav mode has a larger Bose speaker system than other models which deceases the boot size enormously making it next to useless. I researched the small SUV market in some detail and in the end the Peugeot 2008 won the day. This due to various factors, GT Line with Active City Brake for well under £20K. For this you get everything the CX-3 has plus spare wheel, glass roof, super 3 pot 110bhp petrol engine with autobox, £20 road tax, auto folding door mirrors and quoted 58mpg in practice probably nearer 48mpg. The Mazda has the edge on some minor issues but the Peugeot is superb.

For me, I wouldn't consider the Sport Nav on any Mazda model as they come with 18in rims and, barring a miracle, I wouldn't expect the ride to be anything other than very firm, especially after a few years.  The SE-L Nav of the 3 and CX-3 has all the stuff on board I need (climate control being a must) and the 'more normal' 16in rims.  Whilst some of the Eurocars (including some French ones, such as the latest Megane) seem ok in some areas, I'm still not convinced of their reliability and, apart from the higher-spec Meganes, don't like the dash and general styling.

Offline Tall333

• Takara Class
  • Trim: SE L Nav
  • Year: 2015
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2017, 04:28:01 PM »
I believe the CX-3 is based on the floorpan of the Mazda 2, not the 3.  Thus is even more overpriced than it should be.  It's a small car when compared with our 3 saloon, about 100mm less shoulder room for example (from Mazda's brochure), and you can tell.

Offline Engineer Andy

• TS Class
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2017, 07:49:48 PM »
I believe the CX-3 is based on the floorpan of the Mazda 2, not the 3.  Thus is even more overpriced than it should be.  It's a small car when compared with our 3 saloon, about 100mm less shoulder room for example (from Mazda's brochure), and you can tell.

You're quite right about it being based on the Mazda2 - I was referring to the trim levels and engines, which are the same (except for no 2.2ltr diesel, just the 1.5, and it has a 'special' 4WD 2ltr instead of the 3's '165' car).  A TS2 in both has climate control, in the 2 it just has manual A/C.  The centre console is a good couple of inches narrower, meaning there's no cubby hole for the driver, just something for the rear passengers, and no cup holders...plus the 'in between' sized boot.  A shame Mazda aren't going to be producing a successor to the RX-8, at yeat not at the moment.  The 3 fastback ticks most boxes for me (a straight replacement for my mk1 saloon with a better engine), but I really only need the extra boot space when I lug all my golf gear et al on holiday - the rest of the year it's just not needed.

As long as I can fit the golf bag across the boot, then I don't mind having to put the back seat down when going to/come home from holiday (only time I play golf!).  I only bought my mk1 Mazda3 in saloon form as they looked nicer than the hatch and were dirt cheap (I paid £10,300 with del miles at Motorpoint back in Jan 2006) compared to the alternatives I was looking at at that time (Honda Jazz and 3dr Civic).  The CX-3 would suit me (probably the 2 would as well, in Sport 115 form), though I am looking to get an automatic (not a dual clutch unless it has proven reliability and NOT a CVT!) in a car with a bit more oomph than my 1.6 petrol.  Not sure why the CX-3 in manual form (for the 2ltr petrol) is slower than the 3, but faster in autobatic form by 0.5 sec.  Same engine and clutch in both cases as far as I can tell - the only difference being shape (taller on the CX-3, so more drag) and weight (CX-3 being lighter).  Most other makes are either two boring and slow (Honda and Toyota/Lexus/KIA/Hyundai) if otherwise sound from an engineering perspective, or too unreliable/expensive even if very good on performance, styling and sometimes ride quality (Euro makes, esp. German/VAG).

I may hold fast hoping that my 3 lasts a few years longer without too many major bills until something I really want that isn't a rip-off price comes along...

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2017, 07:49:48 PM »