Author Topic: what tyres?  (Read 7531 times)

Offline Engineer Andy

• Takara Class
  • Smoke me a kipper - I'll be back for breakfast!
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: Sunlight Silver (22V) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2005
Re: what tyres?
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2018, 06:36:15 PM »
Hi all just wondering if anyone has had experienced Prestivo tyres on there car

Sorry mate - never heard of them, though you might want to do a Google search on them first.

On an unrelated issue - has anyone ever thought of going down a wheel and tyre size on their car (obviously not those with 'Sport' or MPS models, which can't due to the bigger brakes).  I ask as my Mazda3 mk1 1.6 petrol TS2 has 205/55 R16 V tyres, and I'm starting to think about changing the tyres again, even though the current Dunlop SP Sport FastSesponse ones are doing ok (4-4.5mm on the fronts, about 5-5.5mm on the rears), they are now nearly 6 years old and may soon get quite hard, as the previous set of awful Bridgestone ER30s did (but at a much earlier stage), leading to very bad wet grip and a noisy ride.

Given my car is essentially the same as the TS model with 195/65 R15 H tyres (same engine and, I think, brakes), would it be possible to 'downsize' legally, so that my insurers would accept them all year round, and not just winter tyres as some do.  I would prefer the extra cushioning effect of the higher profile tyres, which was noticeable when I drove a 1.6p TS which was a work pool car some years ago, and there seemed to be little difference in grip.  To me, this would be handy, as my 16in alloy wheels have corroded a bit and must of deformed slightly as well, as it took two goes and a decent amount of sealant to stop one of the tyres from deflating quite quickly when I had the tyres replaced last time.  I've noticed that I have to pump them up more often than I used to as well.  As such, it might seem prudent to replace the alloys at the same time as the tyres, but Mazda charge £154 each for ths closest design to my 16in OEMs (a nice 16in alternative costs £104), but the 15in version only costs £88, a huge chunk of money less for four.

Offline StevenRB45

• MPS Class
  • Suzuki and Fiat Refugee
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearl (34K) Metallic
  • Trim: TS2 Takuya
  • Year: 2011
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2018, 11:45:51 PM »
Iirc disc diameter is the same on all 1.6s. As long as you go up in side wall when reducing the rim size rolling diameter is the same. Think you'd find your space saver is a 15 inch wheel. It may be classified as a mod on your insurance though.

Not heard of prestivo but having had landsail..I'd avoid anything I've not heard of like the plague.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 11:53:03 PM by StevenRB45 »

Offline moozmooz

• Sports Class
  • Colour: Blue Reflex Mica (42B)
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Trim: SE L Nav
  • Year: 2016
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2018, 12:49:20 AM »
The last time I had tyres fitted on my Gen 1, the fitters spent ages grinding off the corrosion and crud from the wheels before fitting the new tyres with a heavier than normal sealant compound. They reckoned this was fairly common on alloys that age, so maybe your tyre fitters weren't so enthusiastic.

Offline Engineer Andy

• Takara Class
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2018, 07:45:21 PM »
The last time I had tyres fitted on my Gen 1, the fitters spent ages grinding off the corrosion and crud from the wheels before fitting the new tyres with a heavier than normal sealant compound. They reckoned this was fairly common on alloys that age, so maybe your tyre fitters weren't so enthusiastic.

To be honest, I didn't think much of the tyre fitters I used at all - I used Blackcircles and the tyre dealer was on their list, and was (at the time - they 'went independent' [hmmm] after just one year after opening under that banner) then part of a well-known and respected chain in the South of England that I'd used before (another branch, actually still within a reasonable distance [40 miles instead of 20]).  They charged me about £12 to redo the fitting on the tyre that was leaking, and it didn't work a second time.

I was fed up by now (especially with their attitude) and popped in to my local Mazda dealership (they don't do tyre replacements - they sub it out to a nearby tyre outfit down the road and are more expensive) and asked about what, if anything, they could do, so they had a go at re-fitting the tyre (presumably with new sealant etc) - for free - and, by and large, it has held.  I've noticed that the less I use the car, the more the tyres go down (slowly and nowhere near as quick as when fitted at the [IMO] useless tyre dealer).

Offline Engineer Andy

• Takara Class
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2018, 07:56:46 PM »
Iirc disc diameter is the same on all 1.6s. As long as you go up in side wall when reducing the rim size rolling diameter is the same. Think you'd find your space saver is a 15 inch wheel. It may be classified as a mod on your insurance though.

My insurance is actually due up next week, so I'll ask them if it does need declaring and/or if it makes any difference to the price.  I won't need to change the tyres quite yet, although the far lower price of the 15in Mazda alloys may not be permanent and may prompt me into changing the tyres and wheels earlier than I would've normally done.  If downsizing does need to be declared and makes a meaningful difference to the premium (and not just at my current insurer), then I'll just stick to the 16in OEM size and perhaps go for the cheaper alloys on the Mazda list (actually better looking in my view, shame they're only available in 16in format) but go for even better tyres this time - perhaps the Michellin CrossClimate+ which supposedly last longer, work better than other makes when part worn, and give a more forgiving ride, in addition to the obvious benefits at this time of year (even in not-so-snow-bound Hertfordshire).

I'd just have to get used to the slightly lesser performance than summer tyres when the temperature is above 7degC, but I suspect my current 6yo Dunlop SP Sport Fastresponse tyres, which decent at the time, are a couple of generations behind the current crop of summer tyres and thus I probably wouldn't notice much, if any, degradation in performance outside of the colder conditions.

Offline Engineer Andy

• Takara Class
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2018, 02:07:31 PM »
I checked with my local dearlership after consulting my car's handbook (which stated the 1.6 [and presumably the 1.4, not the 2.0 - bigger brakes?] can take both the 205/55 R16 V [OEM on the TS2] and 195/65 R15 H or V [OEM on the TS and S models, H-rated] with 15in alloys) that downsizing as stated here is fine - the alloys are, at least replacing the OEMs with the closest match (from Mazda) in 15in are 'only' about £88 each, as opposed to £155 for the 16in replacements.  Admitedly Mazda do sell a newer (still compatible) design which actually is nicer on the eye in both sizes (I think its standard on the mk2) which is about the same price for the 15in (£83 each) OEMs but only £104 for the 16in version.

The alloys I'm looking at are:  https://www.mazda.co.uk/buying-owning/accessories/mazda3/2003-06/exterior-styling-/1713V3810B/
  • OEM (near enough to mine - I think they are those on the updated 03/2006 models): Design 100 (15in) / 101 (16in)
  • Nicer looking alternatives: Design 46 (both sizes)

Still, if I changed all the alloys to 15in and (obviously) replaced all the tyres as well, even with using summer tyres (£55 each [fitted] for a reasonable make) rather than Michellin CrossClimate+ (£75 each), I'd still be shelling out best part of £600 including any wheel alignment, a lot more if I bought the (expensive - £44 for 4) matching locking wheelnuts.  Not exactly cheap on a car that I may get rid of anyway in 1-2 years if my career change (not known at present) comes off and I can afford a new car.  It is tempting because of the better ride quality on the 15in wheels and tyres - on cost though, I'd probably just stick with what I've got and put up with having to pump up the tyres more often (once a week) until that became ridiculous (more than twice a week, especially if they lost a lot of pressure).  At least my insurer said it was acceptable and, for me/my change at least, wouldn't make any difference to my premium, even if done mid-year (one of the few benefits of being a customer for 15+ years:  they normally charge £25 for the privilege).

Offline Engineer Andy

• Takara Class
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2018, 04:51:54 PM »
I've decided to go for the smaller 15in alloys (design 46 type) and new tyres (195/65 R15 H Michellin CrossClimate+) so will have 4 OEM 16in alloy wheels (and 4 roughly half worn (but 6 years old) Dunlop SP Sport Fastresponse tyres to either junk or try and sell on ebay etc.

The alloys are in fair condition for their age, and the tyres are still working well (including in the wet), if somewhat firm riding and noisier than a few years ago (but still far better on both fronts than the OEM bridgestones were at the same age in 2012.  The tyres are worn about 0.5mm or so more on the edges than in the centre (4-4.5mm on the fronts, 5-5.5mm on the rears) as I should've kept them pumped up a bit more during the last year, not helped by the fitment between the tyres and alloys not being perfect, presumably due to age (corrosion?) and thus they lose more pressure than when new.  They seem to hold their pressure better when the car is used more - using it once a week/fortnight over the last year didn't help.

Is it worth me trying to flog them?  I live in a flat, so have little spare space to store them on a longer term basis until they're sold, nor do I wish them to be stored in the boot of my car (especially as it adds weight and thus decreases mpg [a waste]).  Some people, including 'back alley' garages seem to be selling the same alloys with tyres of lesser quality for £35 - £50 each, sometimes more.  To me, this seems a lot for old and worn kit.  Maybe its because the 16in OEMs are so expensive (£156 each from Mazda) or that after-market rims are much cheaper nowadays for 'standard' ones, but still...

PS. My new alloys and tyres are due to be fitted in just under three weeks, so I was thinking, if I do sell them, I can market them now and do the handover after the new ones are fitted.  I don't want to go through any postage stuff - personal collect only.  Is that wise or not?  I'm not doing it to save me money, just hassle.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 04:54:56 PM by Engineer Andy »

Offline Alfisto

• TS Class
  • Body: Fastback
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic (41V)
  • Trim: Sport
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2018, 09:15:45 AM »
After seeing all the comments about the cost of Gen 3 Sports Tyres, I went on the National Tyre site and did a search for the Gen 3. They only had one tyre to fit and it was a Pirelli Pzero at £255 each

Offline StevenRB45

• MPS Class
  • Suzuki and Fiat Refugee
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearl (34K) Metallic
  • Trim: TS2 Takuya
  • Year: 2011
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2018, 09:28:02 AM »
Yeah the 18 is a very odd size indeed, which is a shame as the gen 3 does look good on them. Don't get why they didn't offer a 17 as middle ground given you can get 4x 17s in a decent brand for less than 350 quid.

My local national does Pirelli cinturato or whatever it is to fit, a snip at only 141 a tyre..but you can still get 4 17 inch tyres for the price of 2 18s..
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 09:31:44 AM by StevenRB45 »

Offline Alfisto

• TS Class
  • Body: Fastback
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2018, 04:24:48 PM »
I once met a bloke in Tesco's car park with a 6 with 18" rims and he complained bitterly of a harsh ride but I must admit my 3 is fin

Offline Engineer Andy

• Takara Class
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2018, 07:35:29 PM »
Yeah the 18 is a very odd size indeed, which is a shame as the gen 3 does look good on them. Don't get why they didn't offer a 17 as middle ground given you can get 4x 17s in a decent brand for less than 350 quid.

My local national does Pirelli cinturato or whatever it is to fit, a snip at only 141 a tyre..but you can still get 4 17 inch tyres for the price of 2 18s..

For the mk3, even the 16in tyres are expensive, compared to the 16in ones for the mk1 and 2, as they are the unusual (not many about in comparison) 205/60 R16 V as opposed to the 'old' 55 profile ones.  The difference in comfort is mimumal.  I agree about the 18in versions only on the Sport versions - they should've offered them as 17in in the most common size and 18in as an option.

Its also the reason why I'm downsizing on my alloys/tyres as the 16in OEM alloys are £156 rather than £85 - £95 for 15in ones, meaning I can easily afford some decent 195/65 R15 tyres for essntially the same price as just replacing the 16in alloys on a like-for-like basis.  My dealership admited they get almost no sales of replacement alloys on the larger sizes.  Not really a surprise given the price, especially now when combined with the unusual/rarer tyres.

To illustrate this, I've just ordered FOUR Michellin CrossClimate+ 195/65 R15 H (allowed on the plate on the car/Mazda, mine were 205/55 R16 V) for £205 (incl. delivery) and it'll cost me £10 (per tyre, cheaper than via Blackcircles [£13.20 each]) each for fitting at my local dealership, so £245 total.  One tyre (same make/model) of the 205/60 R16 V for the mk3 would cost £115.  Even a standard Dunlop BluResponse or Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance would cost around the £100 each.  Even on the mk1 and 2 with 205/55 R16 V these tyres cost (fitted) £65, £65 and £87 each.

In my view, either Mazda has dropped the ball (across the entire range) by using these unusual (and thus expensive) sized tyres.  Don't know why though, maybe the deal with the OEM tyre manufacturers?

Offline Engineer Andy

• Takara Class
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2018, 05:34:28 PM »
An update on what has happened:

I ordered the four Michelin CrossClimate 195/65 R15H tyres from Blackcircles (mail order only - fitted at my dealership for £10 each insteaed of £13.20 at any Blackcircles vetted place).  They arrived but had to sit around for nearly three weeks as my dealership was (is) very busy and had (have) a long lead-in time for the workshop.

I ordered, or at least I though they had at the dealership, four Mazda 'Design 46' 15in alloy wheels to replace the OEM 16in alloys (Design 101).  I got the confirmation email and later a text that the booking to fit the new wheels and tyres was going ahead (this Wednesday just gone).

https://www.mazda.co.uk/buying-owning/accessories/mazda3/2003-06/exterior-styling-/1713V3810B/

I turned up (early), everything seemed to be going fine, but then the supposed hour for the work turned into 90 mins, then the customer service guy disappeared out the back and my car 'appeared' back out in the customer parking area.  Even then, no-one returned to go through the final bill (I had already paid for the alloys in advance so was only due to pay £40 for the fitting).  As no-one was around (for several minutes), I decided to have a look over my new alloys and tyres, only to find that they had fitted the 15in OEMs (Design 100), not the Design 46, and without the centre caps (my old ones from the 16in originals were worn and not worth re-using, if they were compatible at all).

Needless to say I wasn't happy - the alloys didn't actually look that bad (they were my second choice anyway), therefore once the customer service guy returned, I waited for what he was going to do, which was not to admit their mistake, so I pointed out them in order to get some compensation of some sort, as well as them sending me the centre caps so I could fit them myself.  After he went back to the workshop, he offered me to not charge for the fitting and take about £25 off the cost of the alloys themselves, which was quite reasonable given the 15in OEMs are actually £3.50 dearer (each) than those I thought had been ordered.  He said the new caps (he didn't say why they weren't part of the alloy pack, as it says they should be on the website) would be delivered in person by the next day (yesterday) and they would phone me to let me know roughly when they would be there.

Thursday came and went - no caps, no call.  I emailed them to enquire about them, and got a call back this morning with a grovelling apology and a guarantee of them being delivered this afternoon.  They were, but....I tried to fit the caps and they won't snap on - they look too big for the centre aperture, and I don't want to force them or hit them (just plastic), even with a rubber-tipped hammer or suchlike.  YouTube videos of fitting bog-standard wheel caps seem quite easy.  I've emailed them back (again) to check if the caps are the correct ones, given the alloy wheels weren't (you never know - the may be ones for the Design 46 wheels or my former 16in OEM alloys).

What a farce for seemingly such a simple order and proceedure.  I see that its not the first time that Mazda have bodged up an alloy wheel order (E.T.'s post from last November):

http://www.mazda3forums.co.uk/index.php?topic=14776.0

I don't think I'm clueless over fitting the caps - has anyone else had problems fitting them?  Are there several different sizes, i.e. different sizes fitting different sized alloys?

A shame all this really, as the new combo of higher sidewall tyres and smaller wheels are working well - a much better and quieter ride, with (thus far) no discernable reduction in handling from going from 205/55 R16V to 195/65 R15H, though admitedly using premium tyres (previous set were v.good Dunlops).

Offline djkj

• S Class
  • I need to update my signature strip!!!
  • Year: 2014
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2018, 10:09:57 AM »
Getting a bit tyresome now................sorry! ::)

I need to look at replacing my front Dunlop 145 45 R18W tyres. Looking on the 'net it seems these have been replaced by RT and the RT have been replaced by RT2, lol. These size tyres from Dunlop appear to be scarce with the price reflecting this - has anybody fitted any other brands and can they recommend any that they have fitted? I'm reluctant to fit budget brands but then I only do about 10k miles pa and don't go round corners on 2 wheels neither!!

djkj
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 05:27:54 PM by djkj »

Offline hanix

• TS Class
  • Transmission: Automatic
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2018, 03:48:19 PM »
Who is going to try Oponeo.co.uk first? At around £100 for a pair of 215/45 18s it might be worth a chance.

Offline djkj

• S Class
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2018, 09:14:47 AM »
Does anyone have experience of Landsail tyres? Speedy's are offering sized tyres for £57.90 each. Doing a 'net search seems to bring up good write ups from other users and the info' on their factory seems credible.

I'm still hankering to go for Dunlop though and bite the bullet!  ::)

Landsail reviews by users:

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Landsail/LS588-UHP_2.htm
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 09:28:50 AM by djkj »

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2018, 09:14:47 AM »