Author Topic: Don't buy Mazda! You'll regret it!  (Read 17997 times)

Offline JS

• TS Class
Don't buy Mazda! You'll regret it!
« on: June 20, 2011, 08:38:55 PM »
NEVER AGAIN MAZDA!

I bought Mazda 3 Diesel pre-registered demo from a dealer, few months old.
I liked the feel of the car, the shape (Saloon), the comfort and simplicity inside, albeit a bit noisy especially on motorways.
The dealer assured me that Mazda vehicles were very reliable.

PROBLEMS:
  1.    20 months from registration: Turbo charger failed. It took 2 (two) months to replace it. It's a simple day job otherwise. Done under warranty
  2.    4 years 5 months: Engine destruction due to timing belt failure at ONLY 27 000 miles. Close call of fatal accident on icy roads if it had happened only seconds later. 1 month repair. Good will discount of 35%, cost over £3600. Fuel consumption increased by 20%.
  3.    4 years 10 months: Starter Motor failed, hundreds of pounds quoted. No willingness to see that the dealer might have caused the starter's failure while replacing the engine. Or perhaps  it was not the starter motor at all, but something else that caused the starter to fail.

All those failures on a car that has a full servicing history with a franchised dealer, best possible driving and keeping.

If you know of anyone's car to have had timing belt failure at 27k miles, let me know, as Guinness book of records might feature my car as the most unreliable piece of junk produced by any car manufacturer in the world.

When buying a vehicle think also of customer service and support. Mazda Motors UK are notorious with they inability to grasp the concept of such service.

For those who say that once warranty is over, that's it: you are on your own ( Mazda Head Office airheads are on this illusion too) :   Consumer legislation actually states that goods have to be fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality, which includes and element of durability. It's not enough that a car lasts only 3 years, it's made to last decades if properly serviced. And what else can you do, since the manufacturer states replace timing belt at 150 000 miles, not 26 999?

Where do I go now? To buy another Mazda as the dealer nags with wide smiles? No, off to court over the engine issue!!!
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 05:23:58 PM by JS »

Offline Samp!

• Super Ultimate Class
  • MX5 MK1 AND MK3.5 NOT A MAZDA 3 BUT STILL A MAZDA!
Re: Don't buy Mazda! You'll regret it!
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 08:41:16 PM »
the new engine would of been tight hence the extra fuel consumption.
USED TO HAVE: MAZDA 3 1.6 SPORT NAV IN ALUMINUM WITH EIBACH SPRINGS AND CUSTOM CORKSPORT SRI INTAKE

NOW HAVE: 1. MX5 MK1 1.8 IN BRITISH RACING GREEN LOTS OF MODS
                 2. MAZDA MX5 SPORT BLACK IN WHITE NO 384 OF 500 EIBACH SPRINGS, K&N PANEL FILTER & LOTS OF LITTLE BITS

Offline JS

• TS Class
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 08:48:45 PM »
the new engine would of been tight hence the extra fuel consumption.

It takes minimum 3000 miles to drive in, I know but the increase of fuel consumption is significant with no indication of improving, so it might well remain permanent.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 04:09:29 PM by JS »

Offline ross27

• MPS Class
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 08:57:35 PM »
JS, have you finished venting your frustration?

Stick to one thread! This is a small forum, it will get seen. No need to go spam everywhere you can!

I have to say, your incidents seems fairly isolated in the grand scheme of things. Generally, they are fairly reliable cars.

Offline FemGearHead

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Class
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Meteor Grey Mica (42A)
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2016
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 09:11:25 PM »
JS, I've cleaned up the other thread with the same post as the first one here. No need to post the same thing in other threads, so let's keep things to this thread only please.

Since we don't have any diesel versions here of the 3, I can only speak of the petrol version. I've had pretty good luck with my 3 and the timing chain.

I'm sorry you've had some issues with your car, however as Ross mentioned, it seems like a fairly isolated issue that the forum has seen. Not sure I'd buy a demo car since you never know what kind of abuse the car has before you take delivery of it. I'm not saying it's your fault by any means, but that also doesn't mean that all of Mazda is bad.

And what else can you do, since the manufacturer states replace timing belt at 150 000 miles, not 26 999?

I also have to wonder - does Mazda specifically say a timing belt on a diesel lasts 150k miles? Since I am not familiar with diesel engines, I can only go by knowledge of a timing belt on a petrol engine, and I've never let a timing belt go more than 90k.

Just curious.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 09:13:13 PM by FemGearHead »
Do American cows not Moo? Or perhaps Moo with an american accent, Moo haa, yippidy ding dang moo etc

Offline JS

• TS Class
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 09:26:22 PM »
JS, I've cleaned up the other thread with the same post as the first one here. No need to post the same thing in other threads, so let's keep things to this thread only please.
Sorry, it was only after I posted I realised that I could actually start a new threat. Thought, that newbies are not always well accepted, hence might have limited options of posting. Things are clear now. For tidiness, perhaps you could delete/edit posts which are not necessary, like this one and yours - giving instructions.

I also have to wonder - does Mazda specifically say a timing belt on a diesel lasts 150k miles? Since I am not familiar with diesel engines, I can only go by knowledge of a timing belt on a petrol engine, and I've never let a timing belt go more than 90k.

Just curious.
Yes, that's exactly what Mazda stipulates, Samp can tell you more, as it looks like is the Service manager of Romford Mazda.

Offline Samp!

• Super Ultimate Class
  • MX5 MK1 AND MK3.5 NOT A MAZDA 3 BUT STILL A MAZDA!
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 10:30:06 PM »
no im not the service manager.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 11:17:47 AM by Samp! »
USED TO HAVE: MAZDA 3 1.6 SPORT NAV IN ALUMINUM WITH EIBACH SPRINGS AND CUSTOM CORKSPORT SRI INTAKE

NOW HAVE: 1. MX5 MK1 1.8 IN BRITISH RACING GREEN LOTS OF MODS
                 2. MAZDA MX5 SPORT BLACK IN WHITE NO 384 OF 500 EIBACH SPRINGS, K&N PANEL FILTER & LOTS OF LITTLE BITS

Offline FemGearHead

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Class
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011, 11:16:52 PM »
JS, out of curiosity, how have you maintained the car since you took ownership of it?

When you took the car, did you get any maint. records of the car, since it was a demo?
Do American cows not Moo? Or perhaps Moo with an american accent, Moo haa, yippidy ding dang moo etc

Offline bikeit

• Sports Class
  • Colour: Carbon Grey (28B) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2012
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 11:56:58 PM »
just out of interest does the Mazda 3 1.6 diesel have a timing belt or chain?

Offline FemGearHead

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Class
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2011, 12:00:50 AM »
just out of interest does the Mazda 3 1.6 diesel have a timing belt or chain?

It's diesel. With a timing belt, if it had been a chain - a lot better, but they seem to make less of those with chains nowadays.

Offline saint1d

• MPS Class
  • It's not a Mazda but at least it's got zoom zoom!
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011, 06:14:37 AM »
It's pretty shocking to have a belt go so early in the cars life, your obviously well peeved and rightly so  >:(

I've never heard of anyone having a problem like that with any car let alone Mazda.  It's a shame you had to experience that, I must admit I found my Mazda to be bullet proof with zero problems in 5 years of ownership.  Maybe it had been abused before you purchased it.
mkII Ford Fiesta 1.1
mkI Fiat Punto 1.2
mkII Fiat Seicento Sporting
mkIII Renault Clio 172
mkI Renault Megane 1.6 Dynamique
mkII Fiat Punto 1.2
Ford Puma 1.7 cvt
mkI Mazda 3 1.6 ts2
mkI Skoda Fabia vRS

Offline 185sport

• Sports Class
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2011, 07:40:17 AM »
I've never heard of anyone having a problem like that with any car let alone Mazda.  It's a shame you had to experience that, I must admit I found my Mazda to be bullet proof with zero problems in 5 years of ownership.  Maybe it had been abused before you purchased it.

Had the timing belt let go in a 1.6i Ford Orion a couple of decades ago.  Went at 46K, Ford had reduced the service interval from 48K to 36K but I didn't know this.  Belt went when accelerating hard uphill, had to have a couple of valves replaced and one rocker arm.  Bill came to £200 iirc.  Think I got away lightly.
2010 2.2d[185] Sport Hatchback in Black Mica

Offline Slider

• Takara Class
  • Now thats what I call Horsepower
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2011, 08:02:08 AM »
It's pretty shocking to have a belt go so early in the cars life, your obviously well peeved and rightly so  >:(

I had on elet go on a Vauxhall Astra at 35K - replacement was due at the 36K service!, but that was 25 years ago or so.
Mazda 3Tts2 1.6D

Offline MattMPS

• TS2 Class
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2011, 09:00:53 AM »
For those who say that once warranty is over, that's it: you are on your own ( Mazda Head Office airheads are on this illusion too) :   Consumer legislation actually states that goods have to be fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality, which includes and element of durability. It's not enough that a car lasts only 3 years, it's made to last decades if properly serviced. And what else can you do, since the manufacturer states replace timing belt at 150 000 miles, not 26 999?

Sorry to hear of your bad experience. First thing i would say is that i have yet to come across a car manufacturer who doesn't have people venting their anger about isolated cases. My wife and i are on our second mazda (MX5 up to 5 yrs old, 3 for the last three years) and the reason we went back is BECAUSE of their reliability and the customer service we received.

If the timing belt failed after 4yrs 5 months then be prepared for a battle regarding the fit for purpose argument. Mazda will go through every piece of small print to check whether the car has been perfectly maintained/used/stored. I take it you never rev the engine past two thirds speed when cold? The car does not do many short journeys? You have stuck to the service schedule perfectly?

I heard of a renault clio whose timing belt snapped at about 6000 miles, still under warranty fortunately, but the engine was never the same again.

Black Mica MPS with Aero Kit - Damn this is fast!

Offline JS

• TS Class
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2011, 12:04:14 PM »
JS, out of curiosity, how have you maintained the car since you took ownership of it?

When you took the car, did you get any maint. records of the car, since it was a demo?

Demo cars do not present risk buying them! They are driven only by staff and for the purposes of demonstration, or from other drivers but under the supervision of staff. So they are not abused, as staff is always very conscientious (right, Mr. Samp?).
I got it when it was a few months old with few thousand miles.
If the car was a woman, she would have loved every bit of me! I always drive with care, never rev the engine,I change gears properly, no cold starts, no short trips, no extreme conditions in any way.
Always serviced with a reputable dealer (Romford Mazda,  yes, the boys from Essex).
The last service was done just under 2000 miles before the break down.

The engine ceased while the car was on idle at traffic lights (lucky me, as 100 yards later I would have been on 50m/h road, wet and icy). That is, it was not while revving up the hill.

The failure cannot be due to abuse from the time of being a demo, neither whilst in my care.
To be precise, it was not the timing belt per se, but the tensioner on the timing belt that failed (so even if it was a chain, probably same result). As the engine is a silly interference type, it had to be replaced. Well, at least this option brought more money for the Mazda boys.

I have an expert report from Gates, saying  timing belts and related bits should last at least the duration specified by the manufacturer and beyond.

It is obvious that the failure is down to manufacturer's fault.
In fact Mazda Motors UK accepted that it was manufacturer's fault, but that they were not liable as the warranty of 3 years was over. Timing belt changes was only ever a recommendation and not a guarantee. Why not at least recommend that the servicing dealers inspect the belt and tensioner regularly?

Unless there was a foul play by a mechanic with a spanner (I would like to think, that was not the case, or else I will have to involve the police for attempted murder!)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 08:28:32 PM by JS »

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2011, 12:04:14 PM »