Author Topic: Buying a used MX5  (Read 8127 times)

Offline SmokeO2

• TS Class
Buying a used MX5
« on: May 17, 2010, 11:40:25 AM »
Hi

I'm looking to buy a MX5 (4 to 6 grand) but they all seem to have rust on the rear sill/wheel arch. Tell me is it possible to find one for this price without the rust  :(

I understand from doing a bit of research there are drainage holes that block that cause the problem. Where abouts are the holes ?

Regards

Graham

Offline a15cro

• Super Ultimate Class
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: True Red (A4A) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.3L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: MPS
  • Year: 2007
Re: Buying a used MX5
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 11:51:51 AM »
Hi smoke02, have you tried posting on the MX5 forums, as this is mainly Mazda 3's so you may not get the amount of info that you require.

2017 Ford Ranger Wildtrack 3.2 auto, Westfield SeiW Zetec st170 Blacktop & 1980 Chevy Camaro Z28 5.7 V8.

Offline SmokeO2

• TS Class
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 04:54:43 PM »
I checked out a couple of MX5 forums but paying 33 quid to join so I could post put me off a bit ;D

Anyway I'm going to look at another car wednesday and hopefully this one will be good :)

Graham

Offline Ben_MPS

• Ultimate Class
  • Aero + Cobb SRI, Graphite RX8 rims - Now sold. : (
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 04:58:03 PM »
I checked out a couple of MX5 forums but paying 33 quid to join so I could post put me off a bit ;D

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Offline Stuno1

• Super Ultimate Class
  • Lexus isf
  • Body: Saloon
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2006
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 05:44:20 PM »
Save another 2k and get a s2k!
Who needs 4 wheels when you have 2??? Bike it baby!!!!

Offline SmokeO2

• TS Class
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 08:14:27 PM »
I do like the honda but they start about 7 grand and I'm not prepared to pay that for a plaything ;D

Graham

Offline daunorubicin

• MPS Class
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 09:24:19 PM »
My friend just bought a MX5 for about that price. Don't think it had any rust, took him about six months to find mind you.

Its in a lovely off silver colour. If it was dulux paint it would be silver with a hint of mint. No idea what the actual colour is.  :D

Looks really nice though in that colour.
--daunorubicin--
Mazda 3 MPS SAK - SilverVision rear indicators - Richbrook TDH - LED boot, plate, map and glove - XCarLink iPod adaptor and bluetooth - Sharks Fin Aerial - Clear fog light - EBC Red Stuff - DBA 4000 Discs

Offline MattMPS

• TS2 Class
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 01:39:43 PM »
Hi

I'm looking to buy a MX5 (4 to 6 grand) but they all seem to have rust on the rear sill/wheel arch. Tell me is it possible to find one for this price without the rust  :(

I understand from doing a bit of research there are drainage holes that block that cause the problem. Where abouts are the holes ?

Regards

Graham

An MX5 for c£4-6k should not have rusty sills unless it has been very badly looked after, in which case you probably don't want one of those anyway!!

The drainage holes are tucked behind the seatbelt mounting points in the 'well' where the hood sits when it is down. Any water running down the hood will drain off into the holes and they should run straight through to the bottom of the car. Trouble is they get blocked and the water runs into the door sills. You should be able to push a car aerial (for example) all the way through them.

There should then also be holes in the bottom of the sills to let any water out of there but they are very small slits and again get blocked easily. They are hard to spot but are located behind where the notch is on the sill for the jacking point.

This really is one of the few bad points on the MX5 though. Just make sure it has also had a cambelt change every 55k miles as well though. That is the expensive service. Other than that grin and enjoy!!!

Black Mica MPS with Aero Kit - Damn this is fast!

Offline SmokeO2

• TS Class
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2010, 05:19:03 PM »
The car I'm going to look at is a mark 2 and has 66k on the clock, the cambelt was done at 55k. It's a red sport with all the toys on and has a hard top as well. The only thing I'm not too keen on is the factory fitted bodykit, especially the spoiler  :(

Anyway hopefully this is a good one.

Offline MisterG

• MPS Class
  • Car-Less :(
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 08:13:57 PM »
The car I'm going to look at is a mark 2 and has 66k on the clock, the cambelt was done at 55k. It's a red sport with all the toys on and has a hard top as well. The only thing I'm not too keen on is the factory fitted bodykit, especially the spoiler  :(

Anyway hopefully this is a good one.

Join MX5nutz.co.uk - its free and there are lots of cars for sale on there in your price range, and they will have been looked after.
if they have any signs of rust whatsoever WALK AWAY!. ive found out the hard way by having to shell out half a grand to get the sills done on a car that cost me less than two. (i have a mk1 mx5 but mk2 have the same weakness's)

Also its free to sign up to the mx5oc forum...
CWP MPS Gone :(

Offline Stuno1

• Super Ultimate Class
  • Lexus isf
  • Body: Saloon
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2006
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2010, 09:25:07 PM »
Lad on the FTO forum is selling a mint supercharged one?
Who needs 4 wheels when you have 2??? Bike it baby!!!!

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2010, 09:25:07 PM »