Author Topic: Mr G's MX-5  (Read 17572 times)

Offline MisterG

• MPS Class
  • Car-Less :(
Mr G's MX-5
« on: April 11, 2010, 08:22:11 PM »
Well this is my new whip
Its a 1.8 Eunos Roadster S-Special..

Jap import means its got Aircon and elec windows
 1.8 extras: bigger brakes, extra chassis bracing and a stronger drivetrain

Also being an S-Special it gets bilstein suspension, Torsen LSD, yet more extra bracing on strut towers and cabin, nardi steering wheel and gearknob and a quite respecable soundsystem, including woofers and tweeters in the doors, speakers in the headrests and also "thumpers" in the seat backs that are like subwoofers but without the cone to make noise... unfortunately the thumpers have been disconnected when the head unit was changed.

Basically its everything i want from a car.. and it cost me £1200 quid! - bodywork is a bit tatty, dings and scrapes but that doesnt bother me as its not a show car and will probably pick up more dents and scrapes while collecting cones on drift/car control days like this one im booked on in a couple of weeks  http://www.mazdaontrack.co.uk/finmere-car-control-day---friday-30th-april-266-p.asp The roof is good and non-leaky, one of the sills is starting to go, but if it passes its MOT ill probably get it fixed.

Mechanically its sound, starts on the key and runs fine. only things that have gone wrong are dead battery, cracked radiator and snapped elec window cables.. all of which ive sorted myself.. inc full service the car still stands me at less than 1500 quid.. theres a thriving second hand part market so many bargains to be had (the wheels cost me 173quid with decent tyres!)

Its also an absolute joy to work on.. parts are cheap (T1R tyre=28quid, full stainless zorst=185quid) and its simple enough that anyone with a decent socket set can service and maintain it..

I have to say its in a different league to a MPS, and thats before going for a hoon with the roof down!

Not very good pics...

Old rims:

New Enkei rims... 15" - ill be getting them refurbed in winter, probably matt black :D
Crucially, these are MUCH lighter then the previous 14"s too

« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 09:16:37 AM by MisterG »
CWP MPS Gone :(

Offline Coulda

• Ultimate Class
Mr G MX-5
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 08:29:46 PM »
Takata green rims!!!

Offline Mindis

• Ultimate Class
Mr G MX-5
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 08:36:49 PM »
Takata green rims!!!

+++++ and slam it  :)

Offline MisterG

• MPS Class
Mr G MX-5
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 08:40:29 PM »
Takata green rims!!!

+++++ and slam it  :)

We shall see.. its on bilstein shocks, which lower the car by 10mm anyway due to lower perches, which means i cant use springs coz itll be too low... (low doesnt mean good handling!)
im begrudged to spend 500quid on a set of coilovers for a 1200quid car... but if it passes its MOT in june i probably will.. its my track slaaaag now! - first outing the end of this month ;)

Offline MisterG

• MPS Class
Mr G MX-5
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 08:41:29 PM »
Actually, can some friendly mod please chop all my posts out into a separate thread.. its gone a bit off topic from ManicMonkeys lol

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Super Ultimate Class
  • East Anglia Mountain Rescue Team
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: Winning Blue (27B) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2004
Re: Mr G's MX-5
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 12:36:14 AM »
My Pleasure  ;)
Look at life through the windscreen, not the rearview mirror.
2004 Winning Blue 2Ltr Sport Saloon.  Laser Blue Main beams.

Offline MisterG

• MPS Class
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 07:55:13 AM »

Offline Mindis

• Ultimate Class
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 09:29:04 AM »
Any other plans for MX-5 ?

Offline MisterG

• MPS Class
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2010, 08:43:07 PM »
Any other plans for MX-5 ?

Rollcage, new exhaust and possibly bit further down the line a supercharger  O0

Offline Mindis

• Ultimate Class
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2010, 08:44:23 PM »
Is it 1.6 you have?

Offline MisterG

• MPS Class
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2010, 09:11:55 AM »
Is it 1.6 you have?
Its a 1.8 S-Special..

Jap import means its got Aircon and elec windows
 1.8 extras: bigger brakes, extra chassis bracing and a stronger drivetrain

Also being an S-Special it gets bilstein suspension, Torsen LSD, yet more extra bracing on strut towers and cabin, nardi steering wheel and gearknob and a quite respecable soundsystem, including woofers and tweeters in the doors, speakers in the headrests and also "thumpers" in the seat backs that are like subwoofers but without the cone to make noise... unfortunately the thumpers have been disconnected when the head unit was changed.

Basically its everything i want from a car.. and it cost me £1200 quid! - bodywork is a bit tatty, dings and scrapes but that doesnt bother me as its not a show car and will probably pick up more dents and scrapes while collecting cones on drift/car control days.. The roof is good and non-leaky, one of the sills is starting to go, but if it passes its MOT ill probably get it fixed.

Mechanically its sound, starts on the key and runs fine. only things that have gone wrong are dead battery, cracked radiator and snapped elec window cables.. all of which ive sorted myself.. inc full service the car still stands me at less than 1500 quid.. theres a thriving second hand part market so many bargains to be had (the wheels cost me 173quid with decent tyres!)

Its also an absolute joy to work on.. parts are cheap (T1R tyre=28quid, full stainless zorst=185quid) and its simple enough that anyone with a decent socket set can service and maintain it..

I have to say its in a different league to a MPS, and thats before going for a hoon with the roof down!

Offline Coulda

• Ultimate Class
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2010, 09:53:04 AM »
before you supercharge it...just remember... turbo > supercharger...and thats coming from an american :-P

Offline Mindis

• Ultimate Class
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2010, 10:03:09 AM »
Turbo + supercharger   :)
Nice car you have.

Offline Mobymg

• Takara Class
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2010, 10:12:54 PM »
loving the look of that mx m8 nice 1st photo pop the lights nxt time though,i test drove a 1.6 mk 1 before i got mine it was a sweet drive:D

Offline Mobymg

• Takara Class
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2010, 10:14:56 PM »
looks like a new roof as well,good buy @1200

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2010, 10:14:56 PM »