Author Topic: From 3 MPS to MX-5 Sports Coupe.  (Read 7864 times)

Offline ManicMonkey

• Sports Class
From 3 MPS to MX-5 Sports Coupe.
« on: April 04, 2010, 11:10:03 AM »
Well a month into ownership of a cracking MX-5 Coupe, have to say I'm enjoying driving again. As much as I loved the sheer power of the MPS, I felt the drive lacked involvement, i.e. hardly hear the engine unless gunning it. I also have the modding bug back, as I will shortly be getting a race exhaust and lowered suspension.

I'll try to post some before/ after pictures if anyone's interested, and I may try to do the same for the exhaust (sound recording). ;D
On a plus point for this forum, I have to say there's more activity/ fun banter here then my local MX-5 forum, plus they're all OAP's (lol, no offense to our older members!;) ).

Offline Rim

• MPS Class
Re: From 3 MPS to MX-5 Sports Coupe.
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 11:17:59 AM »
A exhaust sound clip would be good, I agree with what you say about the MPS exhaust note ( not existent) :D

Offline ManicMonkey

• Sports Class
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 11:51:58 AM »
No Probs Rim, I will post some myself later, but for now I've found these youtube clips:

This one's standard, sounds awful, almost diesel like. This is one of the reason I want to replace it, as it's not very sporty sounding.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shsulX6YRDk

Then this is the one I'm after, not chavy, just a nice raspy sound. Plus listen to the popping on the over run/ lift off!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ih5-4yvMv6A

I'll try to post from the car, as it'll sound better under load.

Offline Rim

• MPS Class
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 01:31:10 PM »
The aftermarket exhaust does sound better, i like this corksport one i found http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNSm4l1Lvck&feature=related not sure if its your kind of thing tho :D

Offline MisterG

• MPS Class
  • Car-Less :(
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2010, 09:36:20 AM »
Well a month into ownership of a cracking MX-5 Coupe, have to say I'm enjoying driving again. As much as I loved the sheer power of the MPS, I felt the drive lacked involvement, i.e. hardly hear the engine unless gunning it. I also have the modding bug back, as I will shortly be getting a race exhaust and lowered suspension.

I'll try to post some before/ after pictures if anyone's interested, and I may try to do the same for the exhaust (sound recording). ;D
On a plus point for this forum, I have to say there's more activity/ fun banter here then my local MX-5 forum, plus they're all OAP's (lol, no offense to our older members!;) ).

Get on MX5Nutz - far more active than OC!

Also, get it taken to Wheels In Motion. they will do you a deal on suspension and a geo setup... if you read on nutz there are flaws with the mk3 suspension that they can sort.. it allegedly makes it more fun than a mk1 like mine.

CWP MPS Gone :(

Offline Coulda

• Ultimate Class
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2010, 09:50:10 AM »
Well its easy to make a miata have the same sheer power the MS3 has...plenty of sites like www.flyinmiata.com  ...im sure greddy has a turbo kit for it... 250 whp on a miata would feel like 350 on a MPS.

Offline MisterG

• MPS Class
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 09:03:24 AM »
Well its easy to make a miata have the same sheer power the MS3 has...plenty of sites like www.flyinmiata.com  ...im sure greddy has a turbo kit for it... 250 whp on a miata would feel like 350 on a MPS.

Thats partially true.. on the 1.6 and 1.8 engines they are easy to turbo/sc (and cheap) - however the 2.0 in the mk3 the internals are too weak.. cosworth had a SC kit available but they withdrew it because it was causing bent conrods.

the latest mk 3.5 rev engine is much stronger internally.. some speculate this is to facilitate a official mazdaspeed upgrade.

personally i think s/c suits the car better, it needs bhp more than torque.

Offline Stuno1

• Super Ultimate Class
  • Lexus isf
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: True Red (A4A) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2006
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2010, 09:33:06 AM »

I agree mate, i love driving my FTO and loved driving my RX8. My MPS never made me want to just go for a drive. Glad you are enjoying it.
Who needs 4 wheels when you have 2??? Bike it baby!!!!

Offline MisterG

• MPS Class
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2010, 09:44:50 AM »

I agree mate, i love driving my FTO and loved driving my RX8. My MPS never made me want to just go for a drive. Glad you are enjoying it.

Amen to that... i had my geo done yesterday.. and the plan was to go home, wash it and do a bit of general spannering.. i left the geo place at half 12 and got home at 6pm lol
the car has more grip than i have balls at the moment so my confidence in the car is still building, but the geo setup is like having a brand new car... its just so well balanced.
plus i have new set of wheels and tyres to put on today..

mx5's are awesome!

Offline Mindis

• Ultimate Class
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2010, 09:54:15 AM »
Don't forget to post pics of your new wheels  :)

Offline Stuno1

• Super Ultimate Class
  • Lexus isf
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: True Red (A4A) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2006
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2010, 12:37:53 PM »
Don't forget to post pics of your new wheels  :)

+1
Who needs 4 wheels when you have 2??? Bike it baby!!!!

Offline ManicMonkey

• Sports Class
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2010, 01:32:06 PM »
I'll get pictures up as soon as I can, it will only look standard at present, exhaust on soon hopefully. I will also at some point drop the suspension back in line with Japanese spec (no stupidly big arch gaps), rather then the high riding US/UK with twitchy handling. When I get that done though I'm not sure what the best Toe/ Camber settings will be, as I have a habit of wearing Tyre edges ;) , but at the same time I've heard neg Camber can make wet driving dodgy? :s

Offline MisterG

• MPS Class
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2010, 08:54:53 AM »
I'll get pictures up as soon as I can, it will only look standard at present, exhaust on soon hopefully. I will also at some point drop the suspension back in line with Japanese spec (no stupidly big arch gaps), rather then the high riding US/UK with twitchy handling. When I get that done though I'm not sure what the best Toe/ Camber settings will be, as I have a habit of wearing Tyre edges ;) , but at the same time I've heard neg Camber can make wet driving dodgy? :s

Wheels In Motion have developed their own set of pre-stressed springs for the NC. and to be honest i trust them more than a mazda dealer ;)  - on their website they list it for 295quid inc full geo setup (which is 100quid on its own anyway)

If Chesham is a bit far to go, get it taken to Nigel Langs garage in bolton for the geo (where i had mine done) - peter, their alignment guy is good friends with Wheels In Motion, so he will be able to get hold of the settings they use.

Your right about negative camber, and toe i had half a degree on the back end of my mk1 and it was very tail happy (but i like that lol)

heres my geo graph... dont understand any of it (except red = bad) and it handles like a dream now!

« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 09:01:04 AM by MisterG »

Offline Mobymg

• Takara Class
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2010, 09:14:51 PM »
Why do uk cars have different height to jap car spec?

Offline MisterG

• MPS Class
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2010, 09:28:31 PM »
Why do uk cars have different height to jap car spec?

Is far as i know, mazda put longer springs on the mk3 to get better pedestrian rating or something like that which kinda ruined the handling and looks.. the facelift that came out last year, the front-end sorted it out so the cars are back on form..

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2010, 09:28:31 PM »