Author Topic: MX-5 advice please.  (Read 15387 times)

Offline ManicMonkey

• Sports Class
MX-5 advice please.
« on: December 07, 2009, 04:19:24 PM »
Hi, as I've just paid a fortune on the MPS roadtax, I figure I may change come next renewal. I was interested in the MX-5 and wondered what I need to look out for on a used new shape (faults, best spec, etc)? And is there any news on the MX-2 concept, I really like the idea of a Smart Roadster size Mazda, but is it going to be RWD or released for that matter?

Cheers in advance.

Offline Stuno1

• Super Ultimate Class
  • Lexus isf
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: True Red (A4A) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2006
Re: MX-5 advice please.
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 04:23:31 PM »
Get a S2k or 350Z mate, the MX5 is a womens car IMO. THey have beefed it up since re releasing it but the s2k and 350z are much better options if you are going for a 2 seater RWD sports car.
Who needs 4 wheels when you have 2??? Bike it baby!!!!

Offline ManicMonkey

• Sports Class
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 04:44:28 PM »
Ideally a 2 seater convertible, but the S2k and 350z is going to kill me on fuel/ tax, which is why I'm thinking of changing. They're not that girly, and keep in mind I used to drive a Smart Roadster which got accused of the same, to me handling and drive is my MAIN concerns, nothing else matters! Even to this day, I have never been in a better handling car then the Roadster, not quick but went round corners like a crazy b@$***d!  ;D

Offline Stuno1

• Super Ultimate Class
  • Lexus isf
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 06:56:09 PM »
Id have a roadster brabus over the MX5 dude. Love those.

Offline ManicMonkey

• Sports Class
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 08:23:29 PM »

If they did a manual version I would do, but I really don't want to go back to a Auto, but I need a better gearbox then the MPS, LOL! Why are you so against the MX-5, is there anything else cheap to run but fun like the Roadie?

Offline Ben_MPS

• Ultimate Class
  • Aero + Cobb SRI, Graphite RX8 rims - Now sold. : (
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009, 08:27:10 PM »

If they did a manual version I would do, but I really don't want to go back to a Auto, but I need a better gearbox then the MPS, LOL! Why are you so against the MX-5, is there anything else cheap to run but fun like the Roadie?

Whats wrong with the MPS gearbox? Mines fine!  ;)

Tbh, if your after a convertible 2 seater and want it to be economic and fun rather than out and out performance, then the MX5 was made for you...

Offline Stuno1

• Super Ultimate Class
  • Lexus isf
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 09:14:40 PM »
lol, not against the MX5 at all just not my cup of tea. It is a fab drivers car dude and my folks have had 2. Someone on the fto forum has a supercharged one  8)

Know what you mean about autos but the paddle shift of the brabus is pretty cool.

I agree the MPS box is sloppy and loose.

Offline Ben_MPS

• Ultimate Class
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2009, 07:56:03 AM »

Sounds like a girl I once knew...  ;)

Offline Grant

• TS2 Class
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2009, 08:53:19 AM »
Get a S2k or 350Z mate, the MX5 is a womens car IMO. THey have beefed it up since re releasing it but the s2k and 350z are much better options if you are going for a 2 seater RWD sports car.

I have just sold my MX5 and I'm not a women!

In the 3rd Gen 2.0 sport model with 160bhp, rear wheel drive, LSD and with minor engine mods (SRI) it is as much a drivers car as any roadster.

It is cheap to run and tax (compared to MPS). It is also bullet proof.

I took mine to the South of France and if anyone can suggest a more perfect combination of car, weather and great roads I will eat my hat (if I was wearing one|).

I hate all this steriotypical stuff (oh it's a womens car/haridressers car etc). Drive one and find out for yourself.

Even Clarkson said it is as much fun for the price that you can have in a 2 seater.

Mazda 3 MPS Aero (K&N, Tints)

Offline Stuno1

• Super Ultimate Class
  • Lexus isf
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2009, 09:24:20 AM »

Sounds like a girl I once knew...  ;)

Nice! Dont we all...

I have just sold my MX5 and I'm not a women!

In the 3rd Gen 2.0 sport model with 160bhp, rear wheel drive, LSD and with minor engine mods (SRI) it is as much a drivers car as any roadster.

It is cheap to run and tax (compared to MPS). It is also bullet proof.

I took mine to the South of France and if anyone can suggest a more perfect combination of car, weather and great roads I will eat my hat (if I was wearing one|).

I hate all this steriotypical stuff (oh it's a womens car/haridressers car etc). Drive one and find out for yourself.

Even Clarkson said it is as much fun for the price that you can have in a 2 seater.

I know, i did say it is a great drivers car and it is, but personally i think it is a bit of a ladies car. i have driven both the 1.6 and 1.8 as my folks owned both so i know what thery are like. It is all a matter of opinion. The smart roadster personally imo looks nicer. Some people will hate it but as mentioned previously beauty is in the eye of the beholder. No offence intended here people just saying what i think.

Offline Grant

• TS2 Class
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2009, 09:35:49 AM »
Maybe "saying what you think" should be more balanced and supportive of others.

We all have favourite cars and we may all think our own cars are better than others choices but it is usually polite not to say so in a derogatory way.

I think there are (at last count) 5000 members of the MX Owners Club, loads of other regional groups/forums and worldwide and a very high percentage of those owners are male. I don't think so many chaps have got it wrong!

All I'm saying is this forum is a great place to chat but it would be better if we don't upset others with our own sexist views.

More harmony and thoughtful interesting posts and this forum might attract more peeps.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 09:39:05 AM by Grant »

Offline Stuno1

• Super Ultimate Class
  • Lexus isf
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2009, 10:25:52 AM »

We all have favourite cars and we may all think our own cars are better than others choices but it is usually polite not to say so in a derogatory way.

I think there are (at last count) 5000 members of the MX Owners Club, loads of other regional groups/forums and worldwide and a very high percentage of those owners are male. I don't think so many chaps have got it wrong!

All I'm saying is this forum is a great place to chat but it would be better if we don't upset others with our own sexist views.

More harmony and thoughtful interesting posts and this forum might attract more peeps.

Last thing i want to do is offend people or put them off the forum so apologies if you feel i have done that. I am meerly providing my views which i feel are balanced but will obviously sway to what i think and believe.

As you can see from my previous posts I accept the car is a drivers car and has its appeal bit IMO and experiance it is a bit of a ladies sports car. If you agree, great, if you dont agree, great, it is all a matter of opinion. That is what these forums are for, expressing opinions and having a debate.

Apologies if you think i am not doing this in a appropriate way.

Stu

Offline Grant

• TS2 Class
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2009, 10:40:05 AM »

Last thing i want to do is offend people or put them off the forum so apologies if you feel i have done that. I am meerly providing my views which i feel are balanced but will obviously sway to what i think and believe.

As you can see from my previous posts I accept the car is a drivers car and has its appeal bit IMO and experiance it is a bit of a ladies sports car. If you agree, great, if you dont agree, great, it is all a matter of opinion. That is what these forums are for, expressing opinions and having a debate.

Apologies if you think i am not doing this in a appropriate way.

Stu

I honestly don't think an apology is needed. Maybe we have this all blown up out of proportion.

Of course you are entitled to your opinion and I accept that this is a place to express opinion (god it would be a boring place without it). I just felt (IMHO) that saying an MX5 is a ladies car might give rise to offence to some owners and this is not needed and I don't think this is what you intended.

I drive an MPS and I have been called a chav (and I'm 52) because of it and to be honest I found it offensive.

Maybe we can get our point across in future without hanging a label on it?

Truce.

Last word: Reading back through a selection of your posts you come across as a really nice bloke and offer real help to peeps which is a credit to you.

Offline Ben_MPS

• Ultimate Class
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2009, 11:11:24 AM »

I drive an MPS and I have been called a chav (and I'm 52) because of it and to be honest I found it offensive.

A chav at 52!?!? LOL... I didn't think they lived that long? Now thats an acheivement!
What would they have called you if you were driving an orange Focus ST I wonder?

People form opinions on the craziest of basis'. One of our our maths staff looks like a meek middle aged lady but actually rides a motorbike and is a fire eater!!! Take each as you find them I reckon.

I have considered an MX5 for my next car - a hard top roadster as a cheaper to run/tax alternative. Yes its down on power but I would imagine that what it lacks in straight line race power, it makes up for in country lane fun with the rear wheel drive.

Anyway Grant, was it really the car or was it your Lacoste trackie, Burberry cap and rockports did it?  ;) ;D

Offline Grant

• TS2 Class
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2009, 11:23:43 AM »

A chav at 52!?!? LOL... I didn't think they lived that long? Now thats an acheivement!
What would they have called you if you were driving an orange Focus ST I wonder?

People form opinions on the craziest of basis'. One of our our maths staff looks like a meek middle aged lady but actually rides a motorbike and is a fire eater!!! Take each as you find them I reckon.

I have considered an MX5 for my next car - a hard top roadster as a cheaper to run/tax alternative. Yes its down on power but I would imagine that what it lacks in straight line race power, it makes up for in country lane fun with the rear wheel drive.

Anyway Grant, was it really the car or was it your Lacoste trackie, Burberry cap and rockports did it?  ;) ;D

Nope it was the under chassis neons!

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2009, 11:23:43 AM »