Author Topic: Car making noise when turning steering wheel to right  (Read 1192 times)

Offline gizchloe@hotmail.com

• S Class
  • I need to update my signature strip!!!
  • Body: Fastback
  • Colour: Deep Crystal Blue Metallic (42M)
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2015
Car making noise when turning steering wheel to right
« on: December 15, 2017, 03:07:16 PM »
I have a 2015 Mazda 3 which is almost out of warranty and plan on contacting Mazda but looking for any advice. When I turn the steering wheel to the right either turning a corner or making a slight adjustment there is a noise from the front that sounds a bit like a slinky spring going downstairs! Any ideas what this could be? Thanks in advance

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Super Ultimate Class
  • East Anglia Mountain Rescue Team
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: Winning Blue (27B) Metallic
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2004
Re: Car making noise when turning steering wheel to right
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2017, 04:46:52 PM »
Hi and Welcome to the forum. I have moved your posting to the correct board for the subject. If you look at the index for  Steering/Suspension/Brakes , you will see that there are many threads covering the topics included in your posting.

I would doubt that a 2015 car would have a problem with steering or suspension joints, however you have not mentioned the mileage.   I would suspect that what you are hearing can be attributed to a couple of things, which are "normal" for Mazda 3's
Firstly there is a faint "clunk" when starting off. This is usually referred to as the "12mph clunk"  as it generally occurs at that speed.   

Quoting myself from  9 years ago       
The 12mph clunk, has been attributed to one of two sources.

Yes it does sound like a metal rod striking a plate. It usually emanates from the passenger side towards the front of the engine. However there is nothing likely to make that noise located in that area so I feel it is just a transmission of noise from another area.

Firstly it was thought to be a function of the Aircon unit, but that was dismissed because although most models experienced the "clunk" not all had Aircon / Climate Control.
The next suggestion has been the DSC (Dynamic Stability Control) coming online.  This made more sense as the "clunk" does only appear after some movement at about 12mph.
It has never been accused of being Drive Shaft Click noise.

I have had this clunk from day one, brand new, 4 years ago. I have spoken to my dealership about it on more than one occasion since then, they have even spent time ensuring that there is nothing else making the noise. So I would say that given the number of people who have heard this and further given that nothing unfortunate has happened because of it, then the noise is quite benign and is nothing to stress about.   

Secondly the "slinky" sound you could be hearing is the "sliding spanner"  noise

Another quote from 5 years ago   
This could conceivably be the renowned "Sliding Spanner" syndrome.  If it seems only to be when your DSC is on.
A question.  How is the tread on your front tyres?  It may seem to be an odd question but bear with me.

If the tread on your tyre is beginning to lose grip during a turn (especially at speed) then the DSC will try to ease off on the power to the outside wheel to retain contact and traction with the road surface. This also happens when turning around a fast bend when on a wet road surface during rain. It all depends upon the amount of good tyre tread in contact.
So if the DSC thinks you may be losing traction it will adjust. When it does this there is a distinct noise that I compare to a spanner sliding across inside the engine compartment.
Could this be what you are hearing ? If so check you tyres.

If these events match your sounds then problem solved.  However in relation to the DSC  item, as mentioned I would take a look at your tyre tread.   

Otherwise I would suggest using the search facility from the HOME page. Remember Search is your friend   
Look at life through the windscreen, not the rearview mirror.
2004 Winning Blue 2Ltr Sport Saloon.  Laser Blue Main beams.

Offline moozmooz

• Sports Class
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Blue Reflex Mica (42B)
  • Trim: SE L Nav
  • Year: 2016
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2017, 01:13:22 AM »
How long does the noise last? Does it stop as soon as you begin to centre the steering, or when the steering's centred.

It won't be the 12 mph clunk. I'm pretty sure that was unique to the first 3s and I certainly haven't experienced it I my 2016 3. In any case, it only happens once after you start the engine when you exceed about 12mph - bit like a POST.

The easiest way to eliminate DSC is to disable it and check again.

If it's not DSC, you're left with the electronic power steering, or there's something rubbing somewhere. Check for anything lodged around the front wheel/suspension. I had a similar noise on a car years ago. Turned out to be a biggish stone that I'd picked up and was rubbing the wheel rim when the steering got to a particular angle.

Offline Engineer Andy

• Takara Class
  • Smoke me a kipper - I'll be back for breakfast!
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: Sunlight Silver (22V) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2005
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2018, 06:05:11 PM »
Intersting - my mk1 made a 'clunk' noise when turning at low speed on full lock recently (just before Christmas 2017) when some bozo nicked my (allocated) parking space and I had to temporarily park it in a visitor space round the corner for a couple of hours until the miscreant sneaked back and drove off.  I was turning right out of the space at about 5-10mph, though the left tyre was traversing a large manhole cover and it was very cold and a bit damp.

I checked it out via some test drives, including slow speed turning at around full lock (during the daytime of the following days) and had my local dealership have a look at it - no issues came up.  Not quite high enough speed for the 17mph 'thunk' and mine doesn't have (as its a continental European-spec car) TC or SC, just ABS.  No problems since, including use in cold/wet conditions and on full lock.  I'm going to keep an eye on mine, given lot of other 'wear and tear' items are up for replacement.  Far cheaper than replacing the car.

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2018, 06:05:11 PM »