Author Topic: Washer fluid low light  (Read 2988 times)

Offline dmcd808

• S Class
  • I need to update my signature strip!!!
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic (45P)
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2016
Washer fluid low light
« on: October 28, 2017, 02:59:48 PM »
Not sure if this is correct however noticed no washer fluid light as ran out of fluid?

Have the 66 plate 3s got them - you would think all modern cars should have them as it is a safety feature for cars in cold countries.

Would be v disappointed for Mazda not providing one when you get so many other options with the sport Nav - v strange?

Dan

Offline moozmooz

• Sports Class
  • Colour: Blue Reflex Mica (42B)
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: SE L Nav
Re: Washer fluid low light
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2017, 04:04:28 PM »
There's no low washer fluid warning fitted.

Offline dmcd808

• S Class
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2017, 07:32:44 PM »
Wow - such a shame I know it is a small thing but if you driving on a motorway in the winter with hi salt it could be very dangerous.

Very dispointing from Mazda.

Offline StevenRB45

• MPS Class
  • Suzuki and Fiat Refugee
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearl (34K) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Trim: TS2 Takuya
  • Year: 2011
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2017, 08:33:48 PM »
They give you a dipstick, open the bonnet put your thumb on top of the hole on the lid. When you remove the lid the tube holds the fluid it shows you how much there is.

Yes it's manual..but you can check the other fluids while you are there.

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Super Ultimate Class
  • East Anglia Mountain Rescue Team
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: Winning Blue (27B) Metallic
  • Year: 2004
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2017, 11:03:27 PM »
Wow - such a shame I know it is a small thing but if you driving on a motorway in the winter with hi salt it could be very dangerous.
Very dispointing from Mazda.

Really ?  One of the first things I was taught when learning to drive was to do driver daily checks.  When driving in winter all the more reason to do so.  Why blame Mazda ? 
Look at life through the windscreen, not the rearview mirror.
2004 Winning Blue 2Ltr Sport Saloon.  Laser Blue Main beams.

Offline moozmooz

• Sports Class
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2017, 01:39:44 AM »
StevenRB45 & Willpower

What you won't know unless you've accessed and read the manual for a 66 registration 3 is that Low Washer Fluid Level Warning Light is one of the goodies listed as being on the car, but it isn't.
It doesn't bother me all that much as I tend not to do that many long journeys any more, and certainly wouldn't opt to in foul weather if I had to. But if you're in that situation and having to use the washers frequently, I'd rather have the warning light and stop to refill than suddenly find I can't see through the windscreen. And yes. I've emptied a bottle in this situation before and refilled it at the roadside from the gallon bottle I carried in the boot.

The dip tube as used on my 2005 3 has been replaced by a perforated polythene dip strip. The theory seems to be that the wash fluid will show up by clinging to the perforations. Mazda clearly didn't have the wit to work out that the effectiveness of this would depend on the viscosity and colour of the wash fluid. It's faster and more reliable just to fill to the top and think on the dip strip as something that'll make it more difficult to lose the cap.

Mazda's certainly guilty of penny pinching in some areas on the newer 3s. Two of my "favourites" are the dreadful monotone horn and the head banging non hinged parcel shelf.

Offline dmcd808

• S Class
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2017, 09:45:05 AM »
Yes I agree - just one of the penny saving routes. They can then say they have more optional extras than German cars but save on other areas.

I suppose it’s all about money, but if you are paying 20k plus for a car this should be included as standard.

Come on Mazda up your game!

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Super Ultimate Class
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2017, 10:54:17 AM »
Mooz Mooz & dmcd   

Yes I totally understand your thoughts on this, but surely this is a 1st world problem.  A daily check would obviate the situation of running out of fluid during a journey, unless as implied, the journey is long enough to require a refill.  Rather than just slumping into the seat, driving off and hoping everything is good, a 5 minute check would go a long way into saving a good proportion of so called  "emergency" situations.   

Re the mention in the manual but the lack of the item in real life. One has to consider that Mazda produce regionalized versions of the car, UK/USA/Europe/Japan/Africa/Australia, but generally only one common manual, so it is feasible that some version of that year has got a warning light as per the manual.  For instance, the manual for my 2004 model features drawings for a left hand drive car.  :)   Should I blame Mazda that my car is right hand drive ?

I'm sorry if I appear to be old school, but habits die hard and I can honestly and truthfully say that in 50+ years of driving I have never run out of washer fluid. (and of course we used to use a squirty bottle full of water before we had washers)    :)

Offline StevenRB45

• MPS Class
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2017, 11:01:33 AM »
 O0
Yes I agree - just one of the penny saving routes. They can then say they have more optional extras than German cars but save on other areas.

I suppose it’s all about money, but if you are paying 20k plus for a car this should be included as standard.

Come on Mazda up your game!

All manufacturers are at it, its dog eat dog world out there..

However there's cost cutting..so no warning light and a fruity horn..and theres cost cutting:

This is a car that can retail for up to 18k. But hey it has a washer warning light..

German cars well if we think about a Golf unless you pay heading for 25 you are getting torsion bars on the rear suspension and a 1.0 engine...again I know where I'd prefer the money to go.

And well..who needs to spend money on twin exhausts when two bits of shiny plastic trim is as good?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 12:00:12 PM by StevenRB45 »

Offline moozmooz

• Sports Class
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2017, 04:37:52 PM »
Be it first world, third world or out of this world it doesn't change the fact that the manuals, both printed and PDF and marked UK, say one thing and the car has another. It's a relief that they don't just produce one manual as I don't speak Japanese.
You're also totally missing the point as to the value of a pre warning alarm. As I've already said, I'd rather stop and top than end up not being able to see, which is a distinct possibility on winter roads with windscreen and headlamp washers going full tilt. The cost of a pressure transducer is minimal.

"fruity horn"? You're showing your immaturity. You may have noticed that emergency vehicles have multitone horns. Not for show, but for a purpose, to cut through background noise. The current Mazda horn makes a sound not unlike a heavy truck's groaning brakes, so blends into background noise. Not much use as a warning, which is what it's there for.
You can post pictures, speak about other cars or whatever, but it won't change anything. Mazda are cutting some strange corners, and in the case of horn and washer warning, they're both safety items.

As for twin exhausts, Mazda have two tailpipes coming out of one silencer. What's your point? It's cosmetic and designed to excite plonkers, as demonstrated by the Volkswagen you've cited, some Ford Focuses and doubtless many others.

Offline StevenRB45

• MPS Class
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2017, 05:37:41 PM »
I think you may be being a little overdramatic

You may be missing that emergency vehicles play different notes one after the other to create a contrasting sound to grab the attention. Dual tone or single tone car horns must by law create a single note otherwise you fail your mot so either will blend by your definition. Also it appears you seem to think the car isn't fitted with washers at all (this indeed would be a safety critical omission). It may just be if you're about to set off on a 300 mile motor way trip top the bottle up first..

Again I draw you attention to the aforementioned Golf, a family car on which rear curtain airbags for rear seat passengers are not included as standard as they aren't required for 5 star NCAP testing..that is omitting safety critical items for profit.

As I said cost cutting is everywhere a light would be nice. But never owned a car with one and somehow not run out of washer fluid ever.

Offline moozmooz

• Sports Class
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2017, 07:25:31 PM »
Dual tone horns penetrate background noise far better than single tone, which is why you'll almost always find them used for alarm functions in industry, especially where background noise is a factor. That's an empirical fact.
I said nothing anywhere to suggest car horns should be of the ee aw variety. And please explain how a single tone horn could create anything but a single tone?

Also, where do you get the idea that I think "the car isn't fitted with washers at all"? Have the washers on your glasses run out of cleaner?

Again, what's in other cars has absolutely no relevance whatsoever to the topic of dmcd808's post.

" It may just be if you're about to set off on a 300 mile motor way trip top the bottle up first.." Glasses problem again? The running out on a long and/or dirty journey scenario was clearly explained. Please keep up.

You'll find numerous gizmos on cars now that weren't on previous cars. I assume you prefer your starter motor to the starting handle option. It's called progress.

Removing a safety item while including eye catching but unneccessary whistles and bells is, to paraphrase Willpower, a 1st world problem, where people lose sight of what's a benefit and what's a bauble.
When it comes to cars, depressingly few people, including those selling them, have even a passing knowledge of even the basics, and would be hard pressed to know what to do if their valve clearances fell into the sump. Yet they'll bore the pants off you with the trivia. 

Offline StevenRB45

• MPS Class
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2017, 08:56:05 PM »
I think the issue here is what you see as benefit, we see as a bauble. Simple as that, if you do your weekly checks/checks before a long trip the chances of running out of washer fluid are minimal.

Anyway you are quite right we are a long way off topic now.

Offline dmcd808

• S Class
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2017, 11:28:51 PM »
I don’t think some people are getting it.

This is a car 20k plus sport nav model with no washer waning light!

Saying you should just do your checks and before trips in the modern world is like saying you shouldn’t get a notification email to tell you your emails are about to get full.

Mazda needs to be called out on this one.

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Super Ultimate Class
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2017, 11:36:59 PM »

Ok.. Before this gets any more heated , I'm going to call time on this.   We obviously have two opposing trains of thought here and I really don't want this to develop into an all out argument all for the sake of some washer fluid. 

So can we call a halt to this please gentlemen, before I am forced to lock the thread. 

Thanks  :)

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2017, 11:36:59 PM »