Author Topic: Thinking of Buying a Mazda 3  (Read 2728 times)

Offline pajd

• S Class
  • I need to update my signature strip!!!
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Snowflake White Pearl (25D)
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2014
Thinking of Buying a Mazda 3
« on: April 09, 2017, 08:29:15 PM »
Hi
I'm currently hoping to buy a 2014 Mazda 3.
Is there much difference between the MAZDA3 2.0 SE-L 5DR and the Mazda 2.0 Sport Nav

I know the alloys are 18" on the Sport compared to 16" on the SE-L.

Both have the same 120bhp right?
Apart from the SE-L having no sat nav are there any other differences between the two?
Thanks for any help!

Offline Tall333

• Takara Class
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic (41V)
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Trim: SE L Nav
  • Year: 2015
Re: Thinking of Buying a Mazda 3
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2017, 01:07:36 PM »
I'm currently hoping to buy a 2014 Mazda 3.
Is there much difference between the MAZDA3 2.0 SE-L 5DR and the Mazda 2.0 Sport Nav

I know the alloys are 18" on the Sport compared to 16" on the SE-L.

Both have the same 120bhp right?
Apart from the SE-L having no sat nav are there any other differences between the two?

I believe the petrol Sport Nav hatchback with manual gearbox could be 120 or 165bhp.  Other variants, and the fastback only had the 120bhp.  The engines are exactly the same, it's only the software that's different.  There was a thread a while ago where the torque curves were posted, it showed that the extra horse power was only at high revs, ie both engines will perform the same unless driven towards the red line.  FWIW we have the 120bhp version and it has plenty 'normal driving' grunt.

The SE was the entry model and missed out on quite a few good things.
The SE-L is the next grade up, and had stuff like xenon headlights, heated seats, leather steering wheel, climate control, gangster rear windows, auto wipers and lights, cruise control, rear parking sensors.
The only difference between the SE-L and the SE-L Nav is the addition of the nav card (and the extra £600 or so when new).
The Sports Nav has headlights which turn corners with you, Bose sound system, front & rear parking sensors, rear camera, bigger wheels, and some extra nice looking shiny bits.

FWIW the difference in my Mazda CX-5 with the big wheels and the small wheels is quite a bit.  Personally, I'd drive them both and compare.

Offline pajd

• S Class
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2017, 05:20:43 PM »
Thanks a lot! Thats exactly the info I needed  :)

Offline servlox3

• TS Class
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 08:03:12 PM »
The rear camera isn't a standard item until 2016 Sport models.
The 165 Sport comes with Leather seats as standard.

I test drove both the 120 and 165 2.0 sport models and I am buying a 165 as in my opinion there is a difference in acceleration. The 120 I was informed is more like a Gen 2 1.6 in performance while the 165 is definitely an improvement over the Gen 2 2.0 I have owned for the past 3 years.
Mazda 3 2.0 Sport Nav Skyactiv 165

Offline Engineer Andy

• TS Class
  • Smoke me a kipper - I'll be back for breakfast!
  • Colour: Sunlight Silver (22V) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2005
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2017, 01:38:04 PM »
The rear camera isn't a standard item until 2016 Sport models.
The 165 Sport comes with Leather seats as standard.

I test drove both the 120 and 165 2.0 sport models and I am buying a 165 as in my opinion there is a difference in acceleration. The 120 I was informed is more like a Gen 2 1.6 in performance while the 165 is definitely an improvement over the Gen 2 2.0 I have owned for the past 3 years.

Not sure if about the info you're getting about the mk3's 2 ltr (120PS) performance - the saloon's 0-60 is 8.8 sec and the hatch 8.9 sec, as opposed to the mk2's 1.6 petrol at around the 12 second mark (slower than my mk1 @ 11.2).  Better than the 2 ltr versions as well of those earlier models.  The 2.0 165 mk3 is about 0.7 sec quicker to 60 than the standard 2.0 120 models, but wasn't so well received by the (so-called) professional reviewers (such as Honest John) as they felt you had to thrash it to get any better performance than the standard 120 car.

I test drove a new mk3 120 Sport on 18in tyres and found the ride was on the firm side (same as my 11yo mk1 which has had many years of suspension use, better when new) and preferred the ride quality in the SE-L with 16in tyres - at no cost in handling.  I found the mk3 to be better than my mk1 at acceleration in the 30-50mph range - the mk1 is low geared in 1st/2nd gears - too much really at low speeds for my liking, and not enough in 3rd and especially 4th gear.  I actually preferred the auto, though in the CX-3, which (given it uses the same engine) is faster to 60 the than Mazda3 in auto form (strangely not as a manual).

Offline pajd

• S Class
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2017, 10:14:29 PM »
Thanks for the info everyone. Some great advice  here  :)

One more thing..Ive seen a Mazda 3 sport. However the title states Mazda 3 2.0 SKYACTIV-G Sport Nav

Can someone tell me what the SKYACTIV means? Ive seen a few Sport Navs for sale but none with SKYATCIV in the title

Thanks

Offline moozmooz

• TS2 Class
  • Colour: Blue Reflex Mica (42B)
  • Year: 2016
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2017, 11:17:34 PM »
Type "Skyactiv" into your browser search and all will be revealed.

Offline pajd

• S Class
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2017, 11:53:53 PM »
Better fuel efficiency then. Thanks!

Any drawbacks to this? 

Offline StevenRB45

• MPS Class
  • Suzuki and Fiat Refugee
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearl (34K) Metallic
  • Trim: TS2 Takuya
  • Year: 2011
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2017, 08:21:07 AM »
All mk3 Mazda 3s are skyactiv so you're going to get it either way.

Offline 9swampy

• Sports Class
  • I don't need to update my signature strip!!!
    • Jinba Ittai
  • Colour: Jet Black Mica (41W)
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2017, 12:07:29 PM »
One of the things I like most in my Sport Nav is the Heads Up Display. Don't get that in the lower trims.

Offline pajd

• S Class
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2017, 09:39:24 PM »
Does the fact that the Mazda 3 has no turbo in it mean it sacrifices a bit of power or is the 120bhp nippy enough?

Offline StevenRB45

• MPS Class
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2017, 11:09:44 PM »
I'd recommend a test drive, everyone has their own definition of nippy enough. They don't have turbo mid range lugging power and you need to use the rev range to make progress like any naturally aspirated engine.

For what it's worth I have the old one with 105bhp and all the spec sheets say it should be dog slow (slower than the new 120 by some margin) but it never feels it and has no bother overtaking or keeping up with traffic if you drive it properly and don't mind stirring the gearbox as required. But you do need to work for speed and plan ahead and I can't imagine another 15bhp would change that.

Offline moozmooz

• TS2 Class
  • Colour: Blue Reflex Mica (42B)
  • Year: 2016
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2017, 01:10:31 AM »
"Does the fact that the Mazda 3 has no turbo in it mean it sacrifices a bit of power or is the 120bhp nippy enough?"

To compare the Mazda 2 litre normally aspirated engine with one of the current turbo charged small engine equivalents, you'd need to look at torque curves for the two engines you're comparing, and the overall gear ratios. Adding a turbo is merely a way of increasing the power and torque of a relatively smaller engine.

In the long time I've been driving, I've owned relatively few cars - don't like car salesmen - but have driven many more. I've just had a look at the power outputs of those I've owned - 38, 65, 95, 90, 99, 105 and 120. All of these cars could comfortably exceed the national speed limit, though it would have taken the first a while to get there and on drum brakes, probably nearly as long to stop.

Comments like "you need to use the rev range to make progress like any naturally aspirated engine" should be ignored, unless you drive like a hooligan or just like thrashing your engine for the hell of it.

Driving sensibly/legally, unless you fill the car with a load of large bodied individuals + luggage, 120bhp is more than enough for the weight of the car.

Offline StevenRB45

• MPS Class
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2017, 07:31:44 AM »

Comments like "you need to use the rev range to make progress like any naturally aspirated engine" should be ignored, unless you drive like a hooligan or just like thrashing your engine for the hell of it.

Driving sensibly/legally, unless you fill the car with a load of large bodied individuals + luggage, 120bhp is more than enough for the weight of the car.

Perhaps I phrased it poorly however if I meant "you need to redline it all day in every gear" then that's what I would have said.

If op is coming from a turbo petrol or diesel then you do need to rev a naturally aspirated engine more to achieve the same result. Many turbo petrols and diesels achieve Max torque below 2000 rpm the skyactiv does it at double that so it doesn't have that low range shove people have got used to on a generation of turbo diesels, to get something similar you'd need to drop a gear or 2. At the end of the day it produces less torque than a 90bhp 1.6 diesel at twice the rpm, that is something that may require adjustment in driving style.

As I've said I don't have any difficulty with less than 120bhp it's easily enough to do what it needs to do in 98% of situations but everyone has their own idea of what's OK and what's not.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 08:11:52 AM by StevenRB45 »

Offline Tall333

• Takara Class
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic (41V)
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2017, 07:50:00 AM »
Does the fact that the Mazda 3 has no turbo in it mean it sacrifices a bit of power or is the 120bhp nippy enough?
It's nippy enough.

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2017, 07:50:00 AM »