Author Topic: 2008 sport headlight levelling  (Read 1007 times)

Offline Jazman23

• S Class
  • I need to update my signature strip!!!
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: True Red (A4A) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2016
2008 sport headlight levelling
« on: April 08, 2017, 10:10:46 PM »
I've owned a 2008 Mazda 3 sport since around october 2016. The whole time i've owned the car there has been a light on the dash - Headlight auto levelling malfunction. I've looked at it several times and could never find any level sensors so just assumed that they were missing or had been removed by previous owners.

Anyway I was doing some work on the rear anti roll bar when i spotted the rear headlight levelling sensor but the lever on it doesn't seem to have anything attached to it. When I moved the lever all the way down I turn on the ignition and the headlight levelling motors sprung into life and started adjusting.

My question is, is something supposed to be attached to the lever on the sensor? If so, does anyone know what and where it is supposed to be linked to? Maybe have a diagram or something. Or does anyone who still owns a 2008 3 sport have any pictures of their levelling sensors?

See below for an image of my sensor

Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 10:41:43 PM by Jazman23 »

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Super Ultimate Class
  • East Anglia Mountain Rescue Team
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: Winning Blue (27B) Metallic
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Year: 2004
Re: 2008 sport headlight levelling
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2017, 10:33:09 PM »
Difficult to see from your picture, but the lever is suppose to have a balance weight attached opposite the connector.
It is a three part(sorry 4 part) system.

The sensor on the rear axle
The Control Module behind the Glove box
and a motor on each of the headlamp units.
Look at life through the windscreen, not the rearview mirror.
2004 Winning Blue 2Ltr Sport Saloon.  Laser Blue Main beams.

Offline Jazman23

• S Class
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2017, 10:42:51 PM »
Difficult to see from your picture, but the lever is suppose to have a balance weight attached opposite the connector.
It is a three part(sorry 4 part) system.

The sensor on the rear axle
The Control Module behind the Glove box
and a motor on each of the headlamp units.

hey thanks for the quick response, i've added a much clearer picture to my original post. my headlights now aim considerably higher, dunno how normal that is though due to always driving with a tiny beam of light in the past

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Super Ultimate Class
  • East Anglia Mountain Rescue Team
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: Winning Blue (27B) Metallic
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Year: 2004
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2017, 11:04:50 PM »
Yep the weight is missing.  It could be that it either "fell" off or a previous owner removed it to stop the system from functioning.  Only you will be able to verify if it is functioning properly, but let me suggest a test.   First lubricate the lever pivot point. If it's been inactive for a while it might need a bit of help.

When it's dark, park opposite a wall or other vertical surface (Garage door)  Put your headlamp selector twist switch (Left hand stalk) onto Auto.
Turn on the ignition, start the engine and watch the lights ahead. They should lower whilst the system adjusts for the weight distribution in the car and then raise again to a working level.
If this happens then the system is working correctly. 

An advance test is to do the same again and mark the settled level of the light on the vertical surface as a reference point.
Then load the boot up with something very heavy, or alternatively get another person to sit over the rear bumper with the hatchback open.
Then repeat the above. The lights should activate in the same manner and adjust to settle at the same (or near enough) level as before, compensating for the extra weight.

Look at life through the windscreen, not the rearview mirror.
2004 Winning Blue 2Ltr Sport Saloon.  Laser Blue Main beams.

Offline Jazman23

• S Class
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2017, 11:31:15 PM »
Yep the weight is missing.  It could be that it either "fell" off or a previous owner removed it to stop the system from functioning.  Only you will be able to verify if it is functioning properly, but let me suggest a test.   First lubricate the lever pivot point. If it's been inactive for a while it might need a bit of help.

When it's dark, park opposite a wall or other vertical surface (Garage door)  Put your headlamp selector twist switch (Left hand stalk) onto Auto.
Turn on the ignition, start the engine and watch the lights ahead. They should lower whilst the system adjusts for the weight distribution in the car and then raise again to a working level.
If this happens then the system is working correctly. 

An advance test is to do the same again and mark the settled level of the light on the vertical surface as a reference point.
Then load the boot up with something very heavy, or alternatively get another person to sit over the rear bumper with the hatchback open.
Then repeat the above. The lights should activate in the same manner and adjust to settle at the same (or near enough) level as before, compensating for the extra weight.

Ahh I think I found a diagram in one of your previous posts that shows the part that is missing. The lever moves without an issue. I think the system is partly working as when I reversed the car earlier and the weight shifted to the front of the car I could hear the motors adjusting. Will take a look tomorrow!

Offline Jazman23

• S Class
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2017, 09:26:20 PM »
So I did some checks and the lights aren't auto levelling so definitely need to source the parts that are missing. I've managed to lower the headlight manually as it auto adjusted to the point were it was lighting up rooftops!

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2017, 09:26:20 PM »