Author Topic: Blocked rear washer fix  (Read 1708 times)

Offline moozmooz

• Sports Class
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Blue Reflex Mica (42B)
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: SE L Nav
  • Year: 2016
Blocked rear washer fix
« on: March 17, 2017, 12:41:07 AM »
I did a search of the site when my rear washer stopped delivering but found nothing of any use, so having found the solution, hope it might help others. This applies to a 2005 hatch and not being familiar with newer models other than my 2016 hatch, I don't know how universal this fix is.
The blockage is caused by screen wash clogging a non return valve which isn't shown in the workshop manual. It's located in the section of pipe that runs through the rubber bellows between the car body and the hatch lid.
Carefully release the bellows from the body/hatch and compress it to the left. You'll find a small plastic union that you need to remove. Ease off the tube and secure the tube coming from the pump to prevent it from disappearing into the bodywork. If the tubing is too tight, you may have to release the tube from the jet, in which case, you'll have to remove the high brake light cover (pulls off) and the high brake light.
The non return valve is a simple ball and spring device that can be cleaned easily using a paper clip and hot water.
When you've got the non return valve out, it's sensible to flush the pipework until it runs clean. Also proves you don't have an upstream problem. 
Reassemble (direction of flow is onto the ball) and should be good for another 11 years or so.

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Super Ultimate Class
  • East Anglia Mountain Rescue Team
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: Winning Blue (27B) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2004
Re: Blocked rear washer fix
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 08:35:45 AM »
Good tip. Thanks :)

Look at life through the windscreen, not the rearview mirror.
2004 Winning Blue 2Ltr Sport Saloon.  Laser Blue Main beams.

Offline JP

• S Class
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Cosmic Blue Mica (34M) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2006
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 11:18:56 AM »
Thanks so much, mines been faulty for 12 months. Without your post I would have been replacing the washer bottle and pump as per someone elses suggestion on the web.the little valve isn’t easy to find if you don’t know it’s there.
JP

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 11:18:56 AM »