Author Topic: Handbrake turns off daylight running lights  (Read 3000 times)

Offline seanclarke

• S Class
  • I need to update my signature strip!!!
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Black Mica (16W) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2016
Handbrake turns off daylight running lights
« on: November 08, 2016, 11:31:07 AM »
Just upgraded my Mazda 3 to a 2015 Mazda 3 Sport 2.0

Whilst stopped, with the lights turned to auto. Then you apply the handbrake, the daylight running lights turn off.
Release the handbrake, the light come back on again (you can flash the lights on and off by playing with the handbrake ::))

I've spoken to Mazda about this and they say that this is a "safety feature" - no idea how turning off the daylight running lights when the handbrake is applied is safer than keeping them on.

Let's say for example, I'm on a main road, stopped at a side T junction turning right into it. Lights are auto, so the daylight running lights are on, meaning I am more visible as it's Autumn and it's a bit grey. I then put my handbrake on for various reasons, as I'm having to wait a few moments due to traffic. My driving lights go off. So now I am sat there with no lights on. How is this safer?

Has anyone else noticed this odd feature and do you have a view on it.

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Super Ultimate Class
  • East Anglia Mountain Rescue Team
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: Winning Blue (27B) Metallic
  • Year: 2004
Re: Handbrake turns off daylight running lights
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2016, 12:09:21 PM »
This is a well known function and has been discussed elsewhere. Whether it is safe or not is a matter of opinion.

Daylight running lights are designed to show that the vehicle is moving, thus giving some warning to other road users such as pedestrians and cyclists, where on occasions an oncoming vehicle can give the impression that it is not moving.   Therefore as the vehicle is NOT moving whilst the handbrake is applied, it makes sense that the lights are extinguished as it presents no moving danger to other road users .

Another point is that the daylight running lights operate regardless of the status of the main lights i.e Auto and where fitted are activated by the ignition.  So if you have your lights on Auto, provided that the sensor has been activated, then you will have external lights anyway.  If, due to external ambient light, you find that your external lights have not been activated by the Auto system, then it is your prerogative to turn them on manually.

Daylight running lights are only fitted at the front of the vehicle and provide no illumination at the rear. Once again, if your Auto has not activated and you are concerned about your visibility to the rear, then perhaps you should consider switching your lights on manually.
Look at life through the windscreen, not the rearview mirror.
2004 Winning Blue 2Ltr Sport Saloon.  Laser Blue Main beams.

Offline E.T.

• Takara Class
  • Colour: Arctic White (A4D) Non-Metallic
  • Year: 2014
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2016, 01:49:12 PM »
I am aware of this.  In some ways I prefer this as it does mean I can park up with the engine running in a lay by or road side to eat a sarnie or look at the view without being marked out as a hazard. 

But I do agree on the junction scenario described by the OP, but if you're aware you can do something about it as Willpower suggests.

That said, I'm not aware of any other cars that have this feature with their DRLs....Anyone know different?
Zoom Zoom

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Super Ultimate Class
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2016, 04:16:04 PM »
Text extract from Department of Transport Information sheet 2010   https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/408964/daytime-running-lights.pdf

Dedicated Daytime Running Lights

Daytime Running Lights are Purpose-made, lowwattage lights that can be fitted to a vehicle and
used during the day to improve the visibility of a vehicle to other drivers as well as pedestrians,
cyclists and other road users.

DRL activate automatically when the engine is started and remain on unless the headlamps are
switched on. They may however remain off in some low speed and stationary situations.

Text extract from UN Vehicle Regulation No. 48        http://www.unece.org/fileadmin/DAM/trans/main/wp29/wp29regs/updates/R048r12e.pdf

6.19.7.1. The daytime running lamps shall be switched ON automatically when the device which starts and/or stops the engine (propulsion system) is set in a position which makes it possible for the engine (propulsion system) to operate. However, the daytime running lamps may remain OFF while the following conditions exist:
6.19.7.1.1. The automatic transmission control is in the park position; or
6.19.7.1.2. The parking brake is in the applied position; or
6.19.7.1.3. Prior to the vehicle being set in motion for the first time after each manual activation of the propulsion system.
6.19.7.2. The daytime running lamps may be switched OFF manually when the vehicle speed does not exceed 10 km/h provided they switch ON automatically when the vehicle speed exceeds 10 km/h or when the vehicle has travelled more than 100 m and they remain ON until deliberately switched off again.
6.19.7.3. The daytime running lamp shall switch OFF automatically when the device which starts and/or stops the engine (propulsion system) is set in a position which makes it impossible for the engine (propulsion system) to operate or the front fog lamps or headlamps are switched ON, except when the latter are used to give intermittent luminous warnings at short intervals.

In other words, it's the rules....    Hope this answers the question.   :) :)

Offline E.T.

• Takara Class
  • Colour: Arctic White (A4D) Non-Metallic
  • Year: 2014
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2016, 05:19:02 PM »
Not the absolute rule, only an optional one, hence the word May...and so they can stay on with the hand brake applied, or go off below 10kpm, provided the other criteria are met. (I sit on British / European Standards Committee for other things so pretty much used to how stuff is worded, and 'may' is optional, 'will' or 'shall' is compulsory)

Interesting stuff, all the same.  O0

Text extract from UN Vehicle Regulation No. 48        http://www.unece.org/fileadmin/DAM/trans/main/wp29/wp29regs/updates/R048r12e.pdf

6.19.7.1. The daytime running lamps shall be switched ON automatically when the device which starts and/or stops the engine (propulsion system) is set in a position which makes it possible for the engine (propulsion system) to operate. However, the daytime running lamps may remain OFF while the following conditions exist:
6.19.7.1.1. The automatic transmission control is in the park position; or
6.19.7.1.2. The parking brake is in the applied position; or
6.19.7.1.3. Prior to the vehicle being set in motion for the first time after each manual activation of the propulsion system.
6.19.7.2. The daytime running lamps may be switched OFF manually when the vehicle speed does not exceed 10 km/h provided they switch ON automatically when the vehicle speed exceeds 10 km/h or when the vehicle has travelled more than 100 m and they remain ON until deliberately switched off again.
6.19.7.3. The daytime running lamp shall switch OFF automatically when the device which starts and/or stops the engine (propulsion system) is set in a position which makes it impossible for the engine (propulsion system) to operate or the front fog lamps or headlamps are switched ON, except when the latter are used to give intermittent luminous warnings at short intervals.
Zoom Zoom

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Super Ultimate Class
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2016, 07:17:08 PM »
Agreed. Given this option it's just how Mazda have decided to interpret the rules. However I would venture that they are not the only company to adopt the same reasoning.

Offline StevenRB45

• MPS Class
  • Suzuki and Fiat Refugee
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearl (34K) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Trim: TS2 Takuya
  • Year: 2011
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2016, 07:37:15 PM »
Ds3 DRLs stay on at all times the lights are off but the car is on.

However that car allows you to move with the stop start active up to 12 mph so you can roll engine off.

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2016, 07:37:15 PM »