Author Topic: 2013 Mazda 3 1.6d Fuel Economy  (Read 11590 times)

Offline Plastic91

• TS Class
  • I need to update my signature strip!!!
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Velocity Red (27A) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2013
2013 Mazda 3 1.6d Fuel Economy
« on: August 21, 2015, 10:59:48 PM »
In a couple of days time, I will have owned my Mazda 3 for a month. Before I bought my 1.6d Venture, I was deciding between the 1.6d or the 2.2d(185). In the end, I was tempted by the manufacturer's MPG figures and the road tax, so I went for the 1.6d.

Today was one of the days where I needed to travel a long distance for work purposes. I thought it will be a good opportunity to test out the fuel economy of my 1.6 diesel. The stated manufacturer's figures are:

Urban: 53mpg
Extra Urban: 74mpg
Combined: 66mpg

Base on my observation, the optimum economy is if you drive the car at a speed 10x the gear, ie 50mph at 5th gear and 60mph at 6th. At those corresponding speed and gear, the computer mpg calculation is averaging at high 60s.

However, if you're doing a lot of motorway driving (70mph+), the 1.6d will not achieve anywhere near those figures. On the computer mpg calculation, it is averaging high 40s when I am cruising at 70mph (sat nav speed, so around 74mph on the counter).

My conclusion is, the Mazda's figures are slightly optimistic and you'll need to drive in a certain way to get the most economy out of it.

Personally, it doesn't affect me very much as I don't do motorway driving everyday. My typical day journey to work is a 15 mile trip on B roads. However, I would be really disappointed with the fuel economy if the intention to use it on motorway speed. My advice is, if you do a lot of motorway miles, go check out the more powerful diesel Mazda and confirm the mpg at 70mph. I have a feeling that the higher powered diesel are more economical at those speed. This is based on my wife's 170ps seat leon diesel which average around 55mpg at 70mph.

Hope this helps.

Online misar

• Takara Class
  • Colour: Indigo Lights Mica (38K) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Year: 2009
Re: 2013 Mazda 3 1.6d Fuel Economy
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2015, 07:52:18 AM »
Virtually no car will achieve anything like the official mpg unless, possibly, driven in a way than no driver would consider sensible for everyday use. Typically the real world MPG for overall use is 10-25% less than the official  combined MPG.

As a rule of thumb, the larger the engine the closer it gets to the official MPG (as you suggest) but the real world value still decreases with engine size - so your suggestion will probably not work.

Have a look here
http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/mazda/3-2009
to get an idea of what you are likely to achieve with typical usage.

PS. Also not all manufacturers are equal when it comes to MPG and as another rule of thumb Mazda are generally below average.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 07:56:05 AM by misar »

Offline Plastic91

• TS Class
  • I need to update my signature strip!!!
  • Colour: Velocity Red (27A) Metallic
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Year: 2013
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2015, 10:13:36 AM »
Yes, I do appreciate that all official figures are difficult or impossible to achieve.

What I really wanted to highlight is the mpg at motorway speed. When I think of a diesel car, I always associate them with motorway driving, long distance driving and fuel economy. I kinda have an expectation that a diesel car should achieve relatively good mpg (high 50s) at motorway speed 70+mph.

To be honest, I am really happy with the mpg when driving at the optimum speed, that is basically the road speed characteristics of my daily route.

Just wanted to point out to potential Mazda buyers to check out the more powerful diesel which could potentially be more economical if driven on motorways.

Offline StevenRB45

• MPS Class
  • Suzuki and Fiat Refugee
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearl (34K) Metallic
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Trim: TS2 Takuya
  • Year: 2011
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2015, 11:22:47 AM »
The petrol 3 is the same, you can get 45.5 mpg on a 60mph cruise (I did and it's the average of a trip to Scotland on little roads calculated brim to brim). At 70 I get 40-42, the claimed figures are between 43-44 for my car but not being a turbo it's a lot harder to produce misleading figures for.

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2015, 11:22:47 AM »