Author Topic: My thoughts on my Mazda 3 so far...  (Read 5224 times)

Offline TexMexMan

• TS Class
My thoughts on my Mazda 3 so far...
« on: November 13, 2013, 11:21:07 PM »
I bought my 2007 Mazda 3 about 6 months ago as I "downsized" my job to help home & family life. unfortunately it pulled me out of the company car market and into owning a car for the first time in many years but it was a necessary loss.

Always liked Mazda's but had never been able to own/drive one until now

Anyway 6 months in and I wanted to share my thoughts so far on what I think of it..

it's a bit of a Marmite car for me at the moment and here's why

Good things:
Great to drive, fantastic cornering & handling
Love the looks, inside & outside (much better than the equivalent alternatives... focus, Astra, golf, etc)
economy is decent, I get 37mpg out of a 1.6 petrol (not bad for a 6 year old car)

Bad things:
1.6 is a tad slow on times
very firm ride, especially the front 2 wheels
reliability a major issue.. not ever had a Japanese car before I have been told by many people that they are super reliable but I think I have been unlucky here as since I've owned the car I have either found faults or had faults develop..
from day one the handbrake was not holding the car well on inclines which turned out to be a seized caliper which in turn caused an overheated brake disc which had to be replaced as well.
both front lower suspension arms need/ed replacing due to steering issues
the internal temperature sensor is noisy on ignition
paint bubbles/ripples appearing on the alloys
battery died in the remote key fob
the passenger window makes a large clucking noise when it closes fully
I found the passenger seat belt was twisted, well not the belt twisted, the bottom of the belt had been screwed on the wrong way round on the chassis, guessing someone in it's past had removed it for some reason but put it back on wrong.
missing trim, tamura badge, chrome tailpipe, roof bar covers/inserts
rear light clusters are misting up internally
and I may have a new problem with a very slow defrosting with the heated rear screen

plus consumable parts... 2 new front tyres, wiper blades

that's quite some list and granted I would expect some faults on a 2nd hand car but not this many. Maybe the previous owners didn't care for it much but "I" still love this car so I'm in 2 minds about it. In the future my plan was to move up to a 2nd generation Mazda 3 in a few years but I have serious concerns about the reliability of these cars now so I'm not sure if I will do that now or go for a different make & model.

see how I feel in another 6 months, if i'm not bankrupt

Offline makkmartono

• MPS Class
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: Black Mica (16W) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2006
Re: My thoughts on my Mazda 3 so far...
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 07:32:30 PM »
It is a shame that you got a "bad" one. My mark 2 had a couple of small issues, but nothing major. Drove it for 22 hours constant without any issues during or after.
The only small problem is that the car isn't designed for long distance drives, engine is more than capable of handling any sort of miles, but the seats and the space isn;t good enough for a grand tour. That will be the main reason I will be swapping mine, other than that great car, awesome fuel economy.
Dream as if you will live forever, live as if you will die today

Offline TexMexMan

• TS Class
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 06:20:18 PM »
Well nearly 12 months of ownership now and in light of the problems above and a couple of new ones I have decided that this car is just going to keep developing faults and costing me money so I have decided to sell it. Difficult decision for me but one I have made with my head & not my heart.
So much for Japanese reliability eh, I must have bought the only unreliable Jap car in existence. It's not just the reliability though the build quality is equality as shocking, the car just seems to be falling apart. Very poor for a 6/7 year old car with average miles, I could understand it if the car was twice the age & mileage.

So my conclusion the Mazda 3 1st generation is a cracking car to drive which looks great inside & out but ultimately is let down by poor build quality, parts & reliability.

Would I ever by a Mazda again... Not a chance..  :( :( :(

Offline rmvf

• TS2 Class
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic (41V)
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2014
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 07:20:55 PM »
I know mine is 2009 but I drive it for 6 hours non stop only stop for more petrol, it has 32k on clock and also sits static for many weeks on end, reason why im posting is that we had a 54 plate 1.4 petrol and all that went wrong was a dead battery cell.

some of the points raised are common to all cars that are neglected, I agree that mazda lets its self down with the alloys as mine have bubbled now.

As for power windows they are a bit on the strong side, I also noticed that if you closed the door with the window ajar it also made a loud noise.

inserts on roof probably lost after using roof rack only cost a couple of quid.

if you can get a 2009 TS2 heated front screen and seats with 6cd dash, cruise Bluetooth with the lowest milage and FSH.

Offline TexMexMan

• TS Class
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 09:00:10 PM »
Part of me thinks that it has been neglected and maybe driven hard or badly, who knows. The car did come with a FSH (mostly Mazda main dealer) & average mileage. The interior was practically unblemished, exteriorwise not so good fair few dings & dents. Paintwork a bit like an over enthusiastic Steve Wonder used to polish it regularly.

Granted the alloys are a problem for most & the suspension arms seem to be a common failure but it's too many other things that have gone wrong for me that have swayed my decision... even on the day I went to look at replacement cars the rear seat belt indicator failed & bleeped all the way to the dealers.... unbelievable

As I mentioned earlier I had planned to go for a 2nd gen Mazda 3 in a few years but no not in a million now. Probably be a swear word on here but I shall be going back to a VAG car now. My last two company cars were VAG and although they were both from new they were worked hard, did stupid mileages and rarely went wrong...

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 09:00:10 PM »