Author Topic: NEW 2014 Mazda 3  (Read 57094 times)

Offline Newbs

• MPS Class
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Sunlight Silver (22V) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2006
Re: NEW 2014 Mazda 3
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2013, 11:03:40 PM »
the dash and centre console is a complete rip off of the new bmw 1 series, including the crap display.
rear windows tinted black,carbon fibre pillar trims,stainless steel scuff plates,led interior roof bulbs,led number plate bulbs and piano black handbrake lever handle + leather gaitor.blue alloy tax disc holder,badges painted metallic black,silver painted dash and console,carbon stubby aerial

Offline Jano

• S Class
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2013, 12:05:18 PM »
Will definitely be going for a look in December, spoke to a salesman (my mum just bought a 2 auto) at the weekend and they are genuinely excited about the 3, can't wait to get them in and they have had a lot of interest in them it seems. Was also very impressed with the new 6, as it was the first time I'd ever managed to get close to one for a proper look.

Offline mazda_3_mzrcd

• TS2 Class
  • Colour: True Red (A4A) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Year: 2008
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2013, 06:56:28 PM »
I will have to see one in the flesh, pictures do nothing justice. Not too sure off it from the pics but will have to see, it may grow on me when I see it properly

Offline Mister P

• S Class
  • Colour: Aluminium Silver (38P) Metallic
  • Year: 2009
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2013, 04:59:02 PM »
Looks good, but I wonder if they've got rid of the road noise?  :-\

Offline figgyburn

• TS Class
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2013, 01:29:32 PM »
Hi,just had a 10 min spin in the new 3 whilst holidaying in the states.dealer only let me round a few streets as obviously he was not going to get a sale from me and he should not really have allowed me to drive it but it was first thing in the morning and the streets of rural Montgomery,Alabama on a Sunday were deserted..fleeting impressions are as follows nice and solid,great new steering wheel,an auto so cannot say to much re manual trans .can't say about the road noise as I did not get a long enough drive.the inside is a step up quality wise. good materials used but,there is no flair to it.both of the info pads on the dash stick out like a sore thumbs.it as though the were added as an afterthought.I would have liked them to have been integrated into the dash or to have it rising up/down from the dash.this model was in liquid silver metallic and a basic model and I'm afraid it looked very bland.it reminds me of a Alfa guilietta shapewise.the available colours on the brochure are all quite basic the soul red being the most outstanding colour.no more winning blue.apart from the new nose I feel that the new 3 will guickly be lost in the crowd after a few are seen on the road.now love or loath the looks of second Gen 3 it at least got people talking.I feel this model may not have the same reaction.cheers john

Offline wurzel

• Sports Class
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2013, 12:39:49 PM »
Not been on here a while since I sold my MPS, but I noticed this in TG earlier today:

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/mazda-3-first-drive-car-review-2013-09-24

Bit of an odd review in my opinion - the byline implies that it's not very good, but the summary is that it's got class-leading handling and lots of kit and should be considered against a Focus & Golf. 

Personally, I like the front, not completely sold on the back 3/4 though - looks a bit Astra-ish for me.  The interior looks smart and there's loads of kit including the head-up display.
'E' Peugeot 309 1.3 in Beige (yeah baby), 'L' Silver Fiat Tipo 2.0ieGT, 1997 Red Ford Puma 1.7, 2001 Metallic Firedance Peugeot 206 GTi, 2007 True Red Mazda 3 MPS

Offline huwdavid

• TS Class
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2014, 03:55:27 PM »
Hi

Anybody know or have an reasonable explanation as to why the new 3 does not have adaptive cruise or Mazda Radar Cruise Control (MRCC) as an option.

It is in the US spec and it is on the UK 6 just not an option on the 3.

This is a killer feature that I so wanted and expected.

Anyone know if it may come in later to something?

We always seem to loose out in the UK!
<- Black Mica 2012 Sport Nav Diesel ->

Offline keith h

• TS2 Class
  • retired marine chief engineer. fitter/turner trade
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearl (34K) Metallic
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2010
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2014, 12:56:48 PM »
Hi all, I went down last weekend to see the new 3 at Mazda Silverlink north shields.
They had 2 cars in, both top spec in Soul red metallic & Blue reflex mica.
I quite like the styling, boot space still good,but to me, I was let down by the dash and console.
It looked to be a throwback from the 70,s & 80,s as regards the controls for the a/c and heating system, chrome trim would be better in brushed aluminium. I was also surprised that all models have a single CD player that is right behind the gear change, however lots of drivers have their own music plugged into various ports,sat. nav and Multimedia system is operated from a rotary control by the handbrake lever. The HUD is personel choice really but could be distracting for some.
Emissions are down, all models have 6 speed gearboxes & trim levels are ok.
Not sure yet whether I would have one, but I am going to the "bash" at the dealers Thursday night so will have a good rake about then. Any members going?
regards Keith h
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 02:31:45 PM by keith h »

Offline makkmartono

• MPS Class
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: Black Mica (16W) Metallic
  • Fuel: Diesel
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2014, 07:32:41 AM »
Hi

Anybody know or have an reasonable explanation as to why the new 3 does not have adaptive cruise or Mazda Radar Cruise Control (MRCC) as an option.

It is in the US spec and it is on the UK 6 just not an option on the 3.

This is a killer feature that I so wanted and expected.

Anyone know if it may come in later to something?

We always seem to loose out in the UK!

All the old Mazdas have better spec in Europe too. In the BL when at highest spec has lot more to offer. It us called GTA and is full of kit.
Dream as if you will live forever, live as if you will die today

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Super Ultimate Class
  • East Anglia Mountain Rescue Team
  • Colour: Winning Blue (27B) Metallic
  • Year: 2004
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2014, 10:08:17 AM »
My personal thoughts on the cruise control tend to look a little deeper than just being pure convenience.

If you compare the road systems in UK with those in central Europe and the USA, I'm sure you will agree that we have far fewer miles of Motorway, Autoroute, Autobahn or Turnpike whatever you want to call them.
Cruise control is perfect for that type of road, but when driving in UK I would think the percentage of Motorway mileage travelled per individual, compared to other types of road, is far lower than many other countries.  Cruise control is ineffective for the majority of UK journeys on our types of road and in fact is probably less fuel efficient by having to cut in and out all the time.

Consequently I believe that manufacturers research the type of driving conditions that their product will be experiencing in that particular market before deciding what options to incorporate.
For instance, I know that Volvo's have Heated seats, heated front screens, engine preheaters,even in some cases heated steering wheels, frequently offered as standard in the Nordic countries. Not much call for that sort of equipment if they sell the car, say in the African continent.

So to me it seems that they adapt the equipment levels to the individual countries (markets). Mazda have made that decision with this model. Yes the Mazda6 may well have this level of equipment, but it is targeting a different demographic to the 3.

Of course the other aspect of this equation is cost. Everyone wants to get as much "bang for the buck" as they can. This means they want the best possible spec at the cheapest price. The market will only support a successful product if it meets the criteria laid down by the buyer.  Compromises have to be made. Mazda want to sell as many of their cars as they can at a profit. If they add in all the goodies and pitch the cost too high as a consequence, it's just not going to sell.

Anybody any follow on thoughts from this ?
Look at life through the windscreen, not the rearview mirror.
2004 Winning Blue 2Ltr Sport Saloon.  Laser Blue Main beams.

Offline FemGearHead

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Class
  • Colour: Meteor Grey Mica (42A)
  • Year: 2016
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2014, 01:00:00 PM »
As for the mileage of roads and using cruise control here (in the States) vs. in the UK, this is my personal thought - rarely do I use CC in my car. Yes, it came standard on the car, however the only time I find myself using it is on a long road trip (5 hours or more) with roads that have very little curves/turns. The last time I can remember using cc was when I drove to Los Angeles several years ago. Even during that long boring drive thru California's central valley, I found myself becoming tired because my feet weren't really doing anything.

Of course, that is just me and I'm sure other drivers feel differently. It's nice to have CC, but I don't think I'd miss it.
Do American cows not Moo? Or perhaps Moo with an american accent, Moo haa, yippidy ding dang moo etc

Offline huwdavid

• TS Class
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2014, 01:22:11 PM »
I agree with what is being said - however on the 6 MRCC and Safety Pack are both options - so in terms of selling cars and bang for buck - you get that if you want the base price and standard spec and if you want higher spec you pay for it. In terms of economies of scale, the technology exists and has been implemented in the range - so it can't be a massive deal to provide it as an option! I appreciate it is all down to pricing and targeting markets and demographics - but really - is it that difficult to make it an option on a range that already has it in other countries! I'm not asking for something like a heated steering wheel that doesn't exist on the entire Mazda range full stop in any market!

Bottom line is for me, I am looking at the Golf now - so to some degree this will impact on sales - in a negative way - and whilst I appreciate one sale is nothing in the grand scheme - I am prepared to pay for it if they would just provide the option in the UK!

Plus I should add - all UK reviews that were put out prior to official launch (I know not UK spec etc etc) suggest it has MRCC - so a little misleading and got my hopes up in the first place hence why I double-ly annoyed!

OK - rant over now - off to test drive the Golf!
<- Black Mica 2012 Sport Nav Diesel ->

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Super Ultimate Class
  • East Anglia Mountain Rescue Team
  • Colour: Winning Blue (27B) Metallic
  • Year: 2004
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2014, 02:16:04 PM »
I totally understand your point of view. However there is just one little fly in the ointment. 

Would you be prepared to accept a long delivery time in order to have your desired options fitted.  I would imagine that  MRCC & Cruise control would be factory installed options, i.e not able to be retro fitted by UK dealers. So you would have to wait for a specific chassis to be built in Japan and then shipped.

In these days of almost instant delivery of items; click & collect, internet order & courier delivery, perhaps the question is, how long is too long?
Would the car buying public be prepared to wait until their individually built car is made and delivered. I would think not, as it has now become a national trait to be impatient and want your new (insert product here) immediately.

One of the biggest self created obstacles that Mazda has, is the fact that each continent has it's own separate company.  Mazda UK have no access to stock from Mazda Europe and vice versa.  Overcome that barrier then you would be able to obtain a European spec car in UK.
Just how the commercial business plan would work, is another matter.

Look at life through the windscreen, not the rearview mirror.
2004 Winning Blue 2Ltr Sport Saloon.  Laser Blue Main beams.

Offline Jano

• S Class
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2014, 12:12:30 PM »
Had an extended test drive in a 2.0 hatch Sport Nav last Friday, and I was very impressed. Road noise was far less noticeable than in my 3 (which admittedly is getting a bit rattly at almost 9 years old), and although I didn't really play around with the entertainment system too much it certainly wasn't distracting. Driving position was much better, as was the steering wheel and dash - I thought the cabin, at least in the front, was much improved over the old model. The drive itself was very good, engine was nice and responsive, clutch and gearbox was lovely. Dealer seems to think the SE-L Nav will be the big seller as it has a softer ride on the 16" wheels than the Sport Nav, and your not really losing out on spec, I think the only difference is optional leather seats and the Bose sound system again, with a Panasonic system in the SE and SE-L versions.

Unfortunately the dealer refused point blank to offer anything off list price, other than £500 for being a Mazda owner, and offering me next to nothing for part ex on my 3. I have a few other cars to test before I make a decision on a change, but it seems like they are selling well already and there is a lot of interest in them.

Offline misar

• Takara Class
  • Colour: Indigo Lights Mica (38K) Metallic
  • Year: 2009
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2014, 02:01:02 PM »
Overcome that barrier then you would be able to obtain a European spec car in UK.

Why would anyone in the UK want to buy a left hand drive Mazda built for (mainland) Europe unless they were about to move to (mainland) Europe?

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2014, 02:01:02 PM »