Author Topic: On 2.2L Sport [185] diesel economy and drive...  (Read 3958 times)

Offline YoungTurk

• TS2 Class
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Black Mica (16W) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2012
On 2.2L Sport [185] diesel economy and drive...
« on: December 23, 2012, 01:01:03 AM »
My new 2.2L Sport has done 2600 miles so far. According to the onboard computer the fuel economy is 47.7 mpg and the average speed is 28 mph. I do approximately 30% town driving and 70% motorway driving (mostly 70 mile round trip to/from work). On motorways I drive mostly around 65 mph with brief periods of over this speed overtaking, joining the motorway or moving away from a silly driver behind me. Driving at this speed feels a little strange when a little Ford Ka overtakes while I have 182 hp under me; must resist the temptation! The car has been performing perfectly; quiet and smooth diesel engine, no wind noise, some road noise but only on very rough road surfaces otherwise very quiet drive. Most enjoyable driving experience. Very capable car with lots of power available on demand. I am hoping that the economy will get even better as time goes by although if I can reach 48 mpg I'll be happy; that's under 8% of Mazda's combined figure of 52.2 mpg. I may have been able to buy a more economical diesel (e.g. Honda Civic) but I doubt I would enjoy driving as much as I do with this car (70% heart, 30% head decision making was spot on!)... I hope this helps those of you in two minds.

Mazda 3 Forums UK

On 2.2L Sport [185] diesel economy and drive...
« on: December 23, 2012, 01:01:03 AM »