Author Topic: Mazda 3 - Outcome of a COURT case  (Read 7835 times)

Offline JS

• TS Class
Mazda 3 - Outcome of a COURT case
« on: October 02, 2012, 07:11:19 PM »
I bought Mazda 3 Diesel pre-registered demo from a dealer, just a few months old.
I liked the feel of the car, the shape (Saloon), the comfort and simplicity inside, albeit a bit noisy especially on motorways.
The dealer assured me that Mazda vehicles were very reliable.

PROBLEMS:
  1.    20 months from registration: Turbo charger failed. It took 2 (two) months to replace it. It's a simple day job otherwise. Done under warranty
  2.    4 years 5 months: Engine destruction due to timing belt failure at only 27 000 miles. If it had happened only seconds later, the car would have become a flying torpedo on the icy roads. 1 month repair. Good will contribution of 35% from Mazda Motors UK, cost over £3600.
  3.    4 years 10 months: Starter Motor failed, hundreds of pounds quoted. No willingness to see that the garage might have caused the starter's failure while replacing the engine.

All those failures on a car that has a full servicing history with a franchised dealer, best possible driving and keeping.

For those who say that once warranty is over, that's it: you are on your own ( Mazda Motors UK  are on this illusion too) :   Consumer legislation actually states that goods have to be fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality, which includes and element of durability. It's not enough that a car lasts only 3 years, it's made to last decades if properly serviced. And what else can you do, since the manufacturer states replace timing belt at 150 000 miles, not 26 999?

I wrote on a number of occasions to the Mazda Motors UK, the dealer where I bought the car from and the garage that changed the engine.

Having exhausted all options (and patience),  I commenced my claim in County court against the seller early this year. The claim concerned the broken down engine as a result of a manufacturer’s fault.

The court had no difficulties finding in my favour despite that the defendant challenged the judgement on two instances.

Still not paying up, I had to commence enforcement for the recovery of the judgment debt and made a full recovery.

The result is that the dealer has now  CCJ registered against them and paid a lot more than they would have paid, had they considered my attempts to resolve the matter amicably. And also, I have deterred at least several potential buyers from buying Mazda as a consequence of my experience.

The new engine still gives a lot worse fuel economy in comparison to the original one, despite that it has been run  in. I am short of about 100-150miles per tank.

Well, I got my compensation, but I truly expected more understandable approach by the dealer and Mazda Motors. It is sad that unless one goes to court, sellers take their customers for granted!

I might now seek compensation for the broken down starter, because the garage continues to defy common sense...

Good luck to everyone and if you get stuck with your Mazda 3, don’t be put off going to court!

Offline YoungTurk

• TS2 Class
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Black Mica (16W) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2012
Re: Mazda 3 - Outcome of a COURT case
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 11:45:16 PM »
Some time ago I had a disagreement with my dealer. The brand new car delivered turned out to have a different equipment spec than the one I ordered. Mazda must have decided to make some changes to the specs just before my order but I was not made aware of this at the time I signed the paperwork even though the dealer knew about the changes (they admitted this!). I wrote to Mazda and the dealer several times with no satisfactory result. I then complained to the office of fair trade and someone there actually chased my problem, even visiting the dealer. To cut the long story short I eventually wrote to the dealer stating what compensation I expected from them and giving them a deadline after which I informed them that I will be taking a county court action against them. Soon after my letter I received an offer of compensation exactly I asked for which included the fitting of some of the original equipment! Matter resolved. Thank you office of fair trading. It took almost 12 months. I succeeded because I was sure I was right... The funny thing is that I bought a second Mazda3 from the same dealer and am buying a third one soon (call me stupid if you like) as they have been offering the best deals so far. They treat me differently now and I have had no other problems with them. There you go...

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Super Ultimate Class
  • East Anglia Mountain Rescue Team
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: Winning Blue (27B) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Year: 2004
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 10:02:00 AM »
To JS ..This is all old news. Why have you resurrected this situation which is now well over a year old?

Unless you have anything new to add then this posting is just a duplication of your previously documented dissatisfaction. What do you hope to achieve by repeating this all again ?  

When the past calls, let it go to voicemail. It has nothing new to say.

Look at life through the windscreen, not the rearview mirror.
2004 Winning Blue 2Ltr Sport Saloon.  Laser Blue Main beams.

Offline daan

• S Class
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 04:39:37 PM »

You need to edit that to be a green one underneath...

Offline cross90

• TS2 Class
  • Colour: Black Mica (16W) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Trim: Takara
  • Year: 2008
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 07:40:37 PM »
I was going to say I though I read this many months ago...

Offline JS

• TS Class
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2012, 06:53:40 PM »
[To JS ..This is all old news. Why have you resurrected this situation which is now well over a year old?

.... this posting is just a duplication of your previously documented dissatisfaction. What do you hope to achieve by repeating this all again ?  

Presumably you can point us all to a link to the 'previously documented ..old news'.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 06:55:44 PM by JS »

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Super Ultimate Class
  • East Anglia Mountain Rescue Team
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: Winning Blue (27B) Metallic
  • Year: 2004
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2012, 07:57:42 PM »
1.    http://www.mazda3forums.co.uk/index.php?topic=9135.msg86606#msg86606

2.    http://www.mazda3forums.co.uk/index.php?topic=9134.msg86602#msg86602

These topics relate to exactly the same situation. There was absolutely no reason to start a new topic now that you have reached a conclusion of your personal fight in court. A continuation of either of those topics would have sufficed and would obviate the necessity of anyone looking for previous history.

Further ; I understand your frustration, but you are misguided if you think that you will get any further sympathy as long as you maintain your aggressive attitude. You will have seen the responses regarding this from our members in your previous postings.
We try to maintain an equilibrium on this site that makes it a pleasant place to visit whilst trying to promote a friendly atmosphere balanced against aggressive behaviour. Your performance in these areas leaves a lot to be desired.
I am therefore giving you a gentle warning. Please do not aggravate the situation or try to cause any further disruption. The Moderating staff take a dim view of disruptive members.

Thankyou

Look at life through the windscreen, not the rearview mirror.
2004 Winning Blue 2Ltr Sport Saloon.  Laser Blue Main beams.

Offline JS

• TS Class
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2012, 12:36:23 PM »
Willpower,

One would think that your personal fortune is at stake, hence your anger at postings on this forum.
You'd better relax (or chillax if you prefer), it is just a forum, not a real life duel and you have nothing to worry about!
You mention aggressiveness, well, have you read what you have typed to see who is the aggressive one?

One of the links that you state above is not going anywhere, the other one is the thread that you yourself closed last year and you, yourself, advised me personally that I should start a new thread, reminding about the facts and state the news: "I won the court case, Mazda lost"!
I did so, but then site crashed and lost all threads back to April 2012.

Don't you remember all this, Mr. Moderator?

Now, if you have a problem with that, come and see me in person.

Offline FemGearHead

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Class
  • Colour: Meteor Grey Mica (42A)
  • Year: 2016
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2012, 01:16:38 PM »
JS, I'm going to step in and respond to you.

The moderation team does not appreciate you challenging Willpower (or any staff member) to come deal with you in person. We are not in elementary school. It is also highly frowned upon to speak back to the staff here, thus further action being taken against you.

I think you will find with any forum, that creating duplicate threads is also frowned upon - therefore this thread is now officially locked.

I would suggest that you do not try to start a new thread or try to create an alternative membership to do so.

I hope you've enjoyed your stay. Good luck with your next car.
Do American cows not Moo? Or perhaps Moo with an american accent, Moo haa, yippidy ding dang moo etc

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2012, 01:16:38 PM »