Author Topic: A little dissapointed, 1.6 TS2 UPDATED!  (Read 16111 times)

Offline The_Grouch

• S Class
A little dissapointed, 1.6 TS2 UPDATED!
« on: April 04, 2012, 07:39:30 PM »
So I've had my 2004 1.6 TS2 for about 14 months now, have only covered about 6000 miles, and I've never really took to it. TBH I kinda regretted buying it straight away, mainly because I think I overpaid for it :( so I'm looking at trading it in this summer for maybe a fiesta/yaris/jazz.

I'll start with the bad points:

1. Rusty wheel arches
2. Poor fuel economy on the motorway, needs higher gearing or a 6th gear!
3. Dodgy stereo, radio often cuts out and sometimes loses station, refuses to play about 10% of my CDs.
4. Tax band 'I'

Now I'll try to think of some good points:

1. Reliable, so far I've spent nothing on it and it hasn't let me down, went through its MOT with nothing done.
2. Decent rear legroom and load space, nicely fits my mountain bike in the back.
3. Looks good (bit subjective and unimportant)
4. The lights are nice, and the indicators.
5. Steering wheel feels nice.

Overall I'm dissapointed most because the Mazda 3 should be the best car ever, and it surely would be if it wasn't for the rust and the fuel economy.

I used to own a 98 Mondeo before the Mazda, and it was literally falling apart, but I still wish I kept it, because that also never let me down (and who really needs central locking, or to open the passenger window, or to use the glovebox?) I felt a bond with it that the mazda and I have never shared. And it would do 550+ miles on one tank! Grrr....
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 05:02:11 PM by The_Grouch »

Offline Stuno1

• Super Ultimate Class
  • Lexus isf
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: True Red (A4A) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2006
Re: A little dissapointed, 1.6 TS2
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 04:21:15 PM »
Can't like every car you buy and if you were disappointed with the price from the off that will never help! `

Rust is an issue Mazda seem to have addressed on their later cars but the paint is very thin and they can learn a lot from VAG cars in that respect.

In terms of 'Bang for buck' i still dont think mazda can be beaten. There is a compramise on quality to a degree imo but if you want the full package pay an additional 5k or so for a golf, leon etc! (not you, people in general  ;D )

My dads latest Mazda 6 looks great is very mechanically reliable but the electrics are a bit of a shambles. Warning ligts come and and wont go out, issues with keyless entry etc etc.

Having said that his previous 2 mazda 6's were faultless.

I have owned Mazda, Seat, Skoda, Peugeot and VW. of all the cars i have owned I would have my MPS back in a flash!

Best of luck with wherever your car buying takes you next.

Stu
Who needs 4 wheels when you have 2??? Bike it baby!!!!

Offline Matrixsenior

• TS2 Class
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 10:21:14 PM »
Sorry you feel like that mate.
I have the 2006 TS2 1.6 Diesel. No rust, 50-60mpg ( all duel carriage way and motorway) and because it has the dreaded DPF (its the facelift model) it costs £90 a year to tax.
 I think the stereo is superb, I spent hundreds of pounds on Kenwood and Alpine systems in the 1980's to sound as good as this and I think the dash looks like the RX8's. My reliability hasn't been brilliant, but that turned out to be an ancient Fuel filter. I personally couldn't go back to a focus now. I'd have to go for something like a Audi A3. Hope your next car turns out to be better.

Offline sk4tec

• Ultimate Class
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 10:56:47 PM »
I think overall the 3 is a quality product. MPG isn't a strong point and yes you do get 'surface rust'. But, the way I look at it the oily bits are bulletproof and its the labour rates on fixing an engine which costs more than some potential rust holes.

I wouldn't bother with a Mazda diesel (not unless its the 2.2 from the current car).

On the negative side I agree with Stu the paint and panel is thin compared to VAG cars and their sprung hinges make them have a lovely heavy clunk when you close the door that Japanese cars dont have. They are also missing a 'USP' but that will be fixed as soon as they roll out their SKY (engine, chassis and trans) platform. I would prefer to see a turbo charged engine but Mazda have always gone their own way (mazda 787b case in point)!

IMO Honda have scored an own goal with their ugly looking rework of the Civic. Toyota Auris... yawn! If I wanted a Japanese hatchback the 3 would be the default choice.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 10:59:25 PM by sk4tec »

1998 Peugeot 306 XSi 16v
1999 VW Passat 1.8 Sport
2002 Golf Mk IV GT TDi 150
2005 Mazda 3 Sport 2.0 (Petrol)
Current: Seat Leon MK II FR 2.0 TFSi DSG

Offline saint1d

• MPS Class
  • It's not a Mazda but at least it's got zoom zoom!
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 01:41:09 PM »
I loved everything about my 3 apart from the mpg, it's why I got rid of it, but then is it any worse than any other similar sized car with a 1.6 engine?  If it had been a diesel I would have kept it.
mkII Ford Fiesta 1.1
mkI Fiat Punto 1.2
mkII Fiat Seicento Sporting
mkIII Renault Clio 172
mkI Renault Megane 1.6 Dynamique
mkII Fiat Punto 1.2
Ford Puma 1.7 cvt
mkI Mazda 3 1.6 ts2
mkI Skoda Fabia vRS

Offline The_Grouch

• S Class
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 07:36:25 PM »
I loved everything about my 3 apart from the mpg, it's why I got rid of it, but then is it any worse than any other similar sized car with a 1.6 engine?  If it had been a diesel I would have kept it.

I don't know to be honest? I have 2 friends with mk1 focuses who say the mpg 'isn't great' but they've never really tried to measure it. For me it was just a big shock to go from getting 550 miles between stops to around 400, the mondeo was probably worse around town, but it was a motorway mile muncher, and although I do low mileage (4 - 5K per year only!) most of it is motorway or A-road driving.

I do like the fact that the Mazda is something different to the focus or golfs which my friends have, and I bought it based on the reputation for reliability, I just wish I'd done my research beforehand about this darned rust problem!

As for the stereo issue, well I never thought the japanese of all people would struggle to make a working CD player, or even a radio!

Offline shian

• MPS Class
  • New obsession: ONE OK ROCK
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Black Mica (16W) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.3L
  • Trim: MPS
  • Year: 2010
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 09:42:47 PM »
I had a 2 litre and did 98k miles in 4 and a half years averaging 30 mpg ( ball park figure).  So needless to say I spent a small fortune on fuel.  But I really liked the drive of the car and also there was nothing else I would have wanted to change for anyway.

Mine didn't rust although the alloys did and were replaced under warranty. Radio was fine though the stereo stopped working for no apparent reason and then was fine the next day. 

Doesn't matter what manufacturer there is always a dud, have a relation that had a jag that spent an inordinate amount of time at the jag garage.  I don't believe any maker is bullet proof, but overall the reputation of Japanese makers is good.

Although I really dislike Honda after a Honda salesman laughed me out of showroom for saying something that came true in a newspaper advert two weeks later.

We all judge from personal experience.  And negative experience has a bigger influence than positive in many cases.  People don't often praise good experience fir any service but are far more vocal about bad experience

Offline Rog2012

• Takara Class
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 10:12:52 PM »
ever sat and thought the mondeo had a bigger tank and thats why you had to stop for fuel so much?
Love my Mazda even though she is thirsty :)

Offline Geordie

• TS2 Class
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2012, 10:58:54 PM »
I know how you feel, changed my aging Nissan Almera 2.2 dci SXE for a 57 plate 2.0 D sport - the ride is a lot better, Bose, leather but used to get more MPG out of the Nissan and the overall build quality was to notch.
I think I have scared myself silly with some of the horror stories with DPF, DMF, Bla bla bla.
125,000 in me Nissan and only needed to change pads & disks plus a service every 8,000mile.

Never mind fingers crossed touch wood nowt breaks on it.

Offline The_Grouch

• S Class
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2012, 07:48:41 PM »
ever sat and thought the mondeo had a bigger tank and thats why you had to stop for fuel so much?

The Mondeo has a 60 litre tank, and the Mazda a 55 litre. Thats a smidgeon over a gallon difference. If both cars had identical mpg you would expect the mondeo to cover about an extra 40 to 50 miles, right? But it covered an extra 150 miles, and I could overtake and drive at 80mph. To 'just' squeeze 400 miles out of the Mazda I have to drive at 65mph!

I titled my review 'a little dissappointed' because thats exactly how I feel. I don't hate the Mazda, its a decent car, but I think I foolishly thought I was 'downsizing' from the mondeo, and I expected to increase my mpg, not drastically reduce it!

Offline a15cro

• Super Ultimate Class
  • Year: 2007
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2012, 08:55:35 PM »
So forgive me for not reading through all of the replies.

The arches should be covered by the recall, do a search and theres loads of info.

If you think you have overpaid for it you probably have! Why did you pay more than what your wanted would be my initial question. Its a buyers market and everyone should shop around.

I would probably agree on the additional gearing as Ive driven a 1.4 and find it needs something extra so given my logic I would imagine that the 1.6 is the same. We have had a 2.0 sport before and loved it.

Shame you have had a bad experience but if everyone loved them everyone would be driving a Mazda :)
2017 Ford Ranger Wildtrack 3.2 auto, Westfield SeiW Zetec st170 Blacktop & 1980 Chevy Camaro Z28 5.7 V8.

Offline The_Grouch

• S Class
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2012, 04:14:36 PM »

The arches should be covered by the recall, do a search and theres loads of info.

Mazda dealer insists there was no recall for the wheel arches on the 3, only on the 6? Any advice?

Offline a15cro

• Super Ultimate Class
  • Year: 2007
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2012, 04:32:15 PM »
Was on 3 6 and rx8. We had two arches replaced on the rx8 under warranty.

Your dealer is not fully informed or trying to shy away from work.
2017 Ford Ranger Wildtrack 3.2 auto, Westfield SeiW Zetec st170 Blacktop & 1980 Chevy Camaro Z28 5.7 V8.

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Super Ultimate Class
  • East Anglia Mountain Rescue Team
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: Winning Blue (27B) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2004
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2012, 04:42:43 PM »

Who ever you spoke to is talking nonsense. Yes there was a recall on all Mazda 3's of a certain age. Check again.
Look at life through the windscreen, not the rearview mirror.
2004 Winning Blue 2Ltr Sport Saloon.  Laser Blue Main beams.

Offline scott

• Takara Class
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2012, 09:34:30 AM »
My 2004 sport has a bit o rust around 1 wheel arch do u think it would b worth checking if
Mazda would fix it if my car has been recalled?

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2012, 09:34:30 AM »