Author Topic: Adding security.  (Read 442 times)

Offline Coops

• S Class
  • I need to update my signature strip!!!
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic (41V)
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: SE L Nav
  • Year: 2018
Adding security.
« on: May 26, 2022, 02:49:27 PM »
I hope this is the right place to ask.  I had my previous car stolen last year, despite having a disklok, added alarm and tracker (car was recovered but written off anyway).

Where I live and work has a massive problem with car crime, so with my new car I'm wondering about adding security.  Just wondering about simpler alternatives (that my last car didn't have) like kill switches and OBD protection?

I have a 2018 mazda 3 with keyless start (but no keyless entry).

Thanks.

Offline Engineer Andy

• Sports Class
  • Smoke me a kipper - I'll be back for breakfast!
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: Sunlight Silver (22V) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2005
Re: Adding security.
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2022, 02:04:40 PM »
IMHO you'll be better off without keyless entry - they (still [generally as a technology]) appear to be vulnerable to scnners that allow the thieves to bowl up to a car and easily steal them.  For one, as a 'passive' measure, always (double) lock the car but via the key being turned, not using the remote blipper.  This gives them even less chance to 'scan' for a signal.

Also never leave anything of possible worth (even an empty bag can pique their curiosity) 'on display'.

Not sure about other 'add-on' tech, as you might need to check with your insurer to see what they recommend and/or would give you any further benefit on the premium.

It seems to me that a lot of anti-theft tech appears to rely on the owner/their family or other members of the public being made aware of a genuine attempt to break in (i.e. not false alarms, a big problem still with car intrusion detection systems) and then actually doing something quickly to prevent the crime or stop the car/possessions inside being stolen.

I suspect that car theft, especially in some areas of the UK already notorious for car crime, and for certain cars/parts (e.g. rare earth metals in CATs, especially on certain hybrid cars)) will grow rapidly as the current car/parts shortages (and thus high prices, inlcuidng said rare earth metals) continue.  I'd put good money on EVs being targeted sooner rather than later.

Ironically older cars with no keyless entry, no EV/hybrid systems and aren't worth much anyway (including if they aren't 'in fashion', like German sports saloons or the lastest hybrid or EV) will more likely be avoided by professional thieves.  Joyriders, on the other hand...

A former colleague (25 years ago) owned a beige early 80s Toyota (I can't remember which - it was about the size of the current Mazda3) and always left it unlocked when we went into town (a Sainsbury's multi-storey car park in North London) to deposit our monthly pay cheques (shows how long ago it was!).  Nobody ever broke into it, let alone stole it.  It probably wasn't worth anyone's time/effort/risk, and no 'street cred'!!

A (current) bicycle, on the other hand, is locked up with two D locks and a third encased wire one, even though it's in a (pad)locked (outside) cupboard of my flat block.  I suspect that bike is worth more than my former colleague's car was even back in 1997, which likely wasn't much.

You might want to look into protecting your latest car's CAT...

Mazda 3 Forums UK

Re: Adding security.
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2022, 02:04:40 PM »